PDA

View Full Version : What, And Where, Is The Most Recent Alternate Form/Polymorph Errata/Rules?

Fax Celestis
2014-01-27, 11:49 AM
See title.

Also interested in what's still broken about it (aside from "turning into X specific monster is broken as hell" and "wizards rule fighters drool"; I know that).

Kelb_Panthera
2014-01-27, 11:53 AM
d20srd.org incorporates the most recent errata to its bits and pieces and the rules for the polymorph subschool don't supersede the text for the spells so it doesn't matter.

So that's Alter Self (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/alterSelf.htm) and Polymorph (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/polymorph.htm)

Palanan
2014-01-27, 11:55 AM
Where were those recent errata first published? Were they stealth errata included in the Rules Compendium, or did they show up somewhere else?

Kelb_Panthera
2014-01-27, 11:57 AM
Don't know if the rules compendium changed them (don't have it) but the errata files can still be found on the WotC website, here. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/errata)

eggynack
2014-01-27, 12:07 PM
Did they ever errata those things? I thought they didn't. They created some separation of other things from polymorph, but I don't think they ever changed polymorph itself.

Flickerdart
2014-01-27, 12:10 PM
Yeah, the Polymorph subschool was basically pointless - it adds itself to Polymorph, but the most important change (that casting in the new form is impossible) is "unless the spell says otherwise" which Polymorph does.

Palanan
2014-01-27, 12:11 PM
Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera
Don't know if the rules compendium changed them (don't have it) but the errata files can still be found on the WotC website, here.

Ah yes, thank you.

eggynack
2014-01-27, 12:12 PM
I was thinking mostly of stuff like wild shape and baleful polymorph, which they errata'd to disassociate them from polymorph rules.

Kelb_Panthera
2014-01-27, 12:24 PM
I was thinking mostly of stuff like wild shape and baleful polymorph, which they errata'd to disassociate them from polymorph rules.

Not sure about those. Their most recent errata will be in the errata file relevant to the feature but if they made changes in later publications, like PHB2 for example, then you'd have to actually look in the book(s). I think there's something about wildshape in PHB2, btw. I think there's something about the alter self ability in the MM's errata.

eggynack
2014-01-27, 12:41 PM
Not sure about those. Their most recent errata will be in the errata file relevant to the feature but if they made changes in later publications, like PHB2 for example, then you'd have to actually look in the book(s). I think there's something about wildshape in PHB2, btw. I think there's something about the alter self ability in the MM's errata.
Well, they errata'd wild shape to make it based on alternate form instead of polymorph, and they errata'd baleful polymorph to make it based on its own rules. There's an article about it hereabouts (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dd/20060216a).

Chronos
2014-01-27, 04:58 PM
The real balance problem with Polymorph is its extreme versatility: One single spell can turn you into just about anything. The bit about specific overpowered creatures is one symptom of this, in that every time Wizards publishes any new monster, they're adding options to Polymorph. Even without that power creep, though, it still means that a sorcerer can take it as a spell known, or a wizard can prepare it for the day, without having any clue what they're going to need it for.

Really, the best solution is to use the polymorph subschool spells instead, which are limited to specific forms, and then also houserule a ban on the normal Polymorph spell.

Fax Celestis
2014-01-27, 05:24 PM
The real balance problem with Polymorph is its extreme versatility: One single spell can turn you into just about anything. The bit about specific overpowered creatures is one symptom of this, in that every time Wizards publishes any new monster, they're adding options to Polymorph. Even without that power creep, though, it still means that a sorcerer can take it as a spell known, or a wizard can prepare it for the day, without having any clue what they're going to need it for.

Really, the best solution is to use the polymorph subschool spells instead, which are limited to specific forms, and then also houserule a ban on the normal Polymorph spell.

I'm planning on doing just that. However, I still need to figure out how to make Polymorphing itself, as a school, not the best thing on the block.