PDA

View Full Version : Martial Manipulation build

Arkusus
2014-01-27, 12:51 PM
So, I wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions on where to go on a basic character idea I had.

Before I get started, I should point out my goal is not raw power, but it does need to be competent.

So, basic idea involves using a mainhand weapon, and an offhand whip. The whip is used for attacks of opportunity in conjunction with damage replacement effects like the Stand Still feat.

I thought it might be fun to go Changeling, so I could pick up Warshaper, and extend my reach, among other fun things. Other than that though, I don't really know what else a build like this would be interested in.

Anyone have any ideas what to throw in? I'm probably looking to build it around level 11-12

kardar233
2014-01-27, 12:53 PM
Whips don't threaten squares and thus you can't use them for attacks of opportunity.

Dr. Azkur
2014-01-27, 01:21 PM
Whips don't threaten squares and thus you can't use them for attacks of opportunity.

Sadly so...

UNLESS NOT!

Do take a look at the Lasher PrC from Sword and Fist. It's 3.0 with no update so it's 100% legal. And it's also pretty cool. Idk.

Want some REACH?
-Willing Deformity: Tall (Requires the feat and another one +have to be evil)
-Warshaper (It is pretty good, as you mentioned)
-Extended Reach (You need tentacles but both WD Tall and Warshaper qualify you)

I don't know how much whip you want, but innuendos aside, you decide how far to go into lasher.

EDIT: Hengeyokai is another race that qualifies you for Warshaper. And they're quite cool.

Arkusus
2014-01-27, 04:24 PM

Yikes... Well okay, that kinda ruins everything.

Lasher is nice but still only threatens within normal melee range, which defeats the point sadly...

Okay, forget the whip... Is there a way to get a reach weapon into your single off-hand that threatens an extra square away?

Basic idea the same, melee weapon in main hand, longer reach weapon in off hand. Use off hand for AOOs, main hand for damage strikes.

kardar233
2014-01-27, 04:50 PM
The kusari-gama (Dungeon Master's Guide p. 144) is an Exotic light weapon (1d6/x2) that has reach (and can also attack adjacent, like the spiked chain), can trip, disarm and is Finessable.

The Spinning Sword is an Exotic one-handed weapon that also has reach and can hit adjacent enemies, and is Finessable, but can't be used to trip or disarm.

BowStreetRunner
2014-01-27, 05:00 PM
Ranger 2 (TWF), Cavestalker 4 from Drow of the Underdark page 69 gives Spike Chain as a one-handed weapon.