PDA

View Full Version : Trollslayer

Macrus
2014-01-27, 02:22 PM
I'm going to be joining a campaign and I wanted to play as a dwarf trollslayer from warhammer but I don't know the best way to go about it. My main problem is the whole not wearing armour. I will be starting at level 5.

Thank you for the help.

Macrus

mistformsquirrl
2014-01-27, 02:26 PM
Could you ask your DM about playing your character with the defense bonus (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/defenseBonus.htm) rules? Trade your armor proficiencies for defense bonus as listed on the chart.

Feint's End
2014-01-27, 02:48 PM
Hmm do you want to do the whole build entirely without any supernatural support or are gyshes ok? Without any supernatural support it probably won't work. Well you could use a slotless (aka your tattoos) item of Inertial Armor (boosted to the extend you want it to have) for an armorbonus without any armor.

As a gysh just go psionic and use Inertial Armor.

Fouredged Sword
2014-01-27, 03:05 PM
Monk 2 / Warblade 18 using Kung-Fu genius (starting as Monk 2 / Warblade 3). Focus on Tiger Claw, Diamond Mind and Iron heart with a spattering of Stone Dragon.

Focus on Str > Con > Int > Dex > Wis > Cha

I would take the focused attack ACF for monk, and dig up the feat somewhere that makes a weapon a monk weapon. Use that to deal double damage power attacks when you are't hitting things with strikes.

IF you don't like TOB.

Monk 1 / Fighter 2 / Feat Rogue 2

Con 20 > Str > Wis > anything else

Feats
1 - Toughness
Flaw - Roll with it
Flaw 2 - Roll with it
3 - Roll with it
Monk 1 - power attack
Fighter 1 - Free fighter feat
Fighter 2 - Free fighter feat
Rogue 1 - Free fighter feat
Rogue 2 - Free fighter feat

Laugh as you start the game with Wis to AC and DR6/-. Again, do focused attack ACF for monk, but wield a quarterstaff to save a feat.

Macrus
2014-01-27, 03:54 PM
I'm not really up for going into monk.

Where would the tattoos be? And I don't know what gyshers are.

Macrus

AlltheBooks
2014-01-27, 04:05 PM
Go Fist of The Forest and Deepwarden with maybe barb+? to start you off.

Can beat down monsters with your fav weapon and punch faces in a bar brawl (you started ofc) and get Con mod to ac twice. That may give you ideas about yer crazy dwarf. There are many ACF's for barb to start off your journey. More the puncher go city brawler, more death machine with an axe go whirling frenzy + whatevr other ACF's you can fit.

Urpriest
2014-01-27, 04:55 PM
I'm not really up for going into monk.

Where would the tattoos be? And I don't know what gyshers are.

Macrus

A gish is a spellcasting warrior, or a melee spellcaster. So the question is, are you ok with your Trollslayer able to use Spells or Psionic Powers?

If not, you still have options. You'll want your character to have some incentive to go unarmored, which means some ability that only works when unarmored. Monk's AC bonus works, but if you don't want a high Int or Wis then the Fist of the Forest's AC bonus (Complete Champion) might be a better option, as it adds Con to AC. You'll probably also like Deepwarden (Races of Stone), which has already been mentioned.

What do the tattoos do for Warhammer Trollslayers?

Macrus
2014-01-27, 05:10 PM
Nah I don't think I do like the idea of him casting spells, but I'll look into the other two classes.
In warhammer I believe they don't do anything.

Macrus

Xerlith
2014-01-27, 05:25 PM
Warhammer Trollslayers are dishonored outcasts of dwarven society, who prove their worth by battling trolls and such, seeking to die in a way that will let them regain at least a bit of the honor they've lost.
They are completely mundane, frenzied fighters that - in battle - more often than not let their rage overshadow their reason.

That said, I must say as-is it's impossible to port the whole fluff to D&d without crippling the build.
I'd probably run with a Warblade14/Spirit Lion Whirling Frenzy Barbarian 2/Bloodstorm Blade4 for a completely mundane build. Because it's about alphastriking. IF the enemy lives, you have only a leather armor (Which the Slayers DO wear) to protect you. Why the Bloodstorm Blade?
Because a frenzied dwarf hurling axes is a bloody cool sight, that's why.

Urpriest
2014-01-27, 05:38 PM
Warhammer Trollslayers are dishonored outcasts of dwarven society, who prove their worth by battling trolls and such, seeking to die in a way that will let them regain at least a bit of the honor they've lost.
They are completely mundane, frenzied fighters that - in battle - more often than not let their rage overshadow their reason.

That said, I must say as-is it's impossible to port the whole fluff to D&d without crippling the build.
I'd probably run with a Warblade14/Spirit Lion Whirling Frenzy Barbarian 2/Bloodstorm Blade4 for a completely mundane build. Because it's about alphastriking. IF the enemy lives, you have only a leather armor (Which the Slayers DO wear) to protect you. Why the Bloodstorm Blade?
Because a frenzied dwarf hurling axes is a bloody cool sight, that's why.

Ah. In that case, just go with two levels of Deepwarden, you don't also need Fist of the Forest. Fit it in to the above build and you'll have the gist down.

Blackhawk748
2014-01-27, 05:45 PM
If you want to wear no armor, then Fist of the Forest and Deepwarden will let you do it, if you have no problem wearing armor i would recommend a standard Barbarian Charger build. I also second throwing massive axes

Feint's End
2014-01-27, 05:59 PM
Just as a general thing. No matter the class (even if you get ac bonus from Fist of the Forest etc) you can always get a slotless custom item of inertial or mage armor for an armor bonus. Just fluff it as being the ink in your tattoos and you are set. IIRC Slayers have protective runes anyways.

Macrus
2014-01-27, 06:34 PM
So I was talking to my dm and he said that I should use a monk class but I can change some of the features and long as I can justify them. So please could I get some help changing the monk features to more trollslayer like.

Macrus

Fouredged Sword
2014-01-27, 07:04 PM
Well, if you can swing chaotic for the alignment, then a Focused Assault, Overwhelming Attack monk 1-2 seems about right. Ask your DM Very nicely to be from a dwarven monk monistary that uses a greatax as a monk weapon.

Then go spirit lion totem barbarian 2 for pounce and rage.

Then maybe 2 levels of feat rogue for 2 fighter feats for prereqs and evasion. If you picked up evasion from monk, get the ray reflection ACF for hillarity with this build's touch AC.

Fist of the forest 1 follows that, granting Con to AC. Now, this does not stack with the monk Wis to AC, but meh. Monk is mostly there for cheap feats, and double damage hits with monk weapons.

Now you go Deepwarden 2 for Con to AC in place of Dex. Now you don't care about dex whatsoever. You get Con twice to touch AC.

Now finish out Fist of the Forest and Deep Warden for fun.

Monk 2 / Barbarian 2 / Rogue 2 / Fist of the Forest 1 / Deep warden 2 / Fist of the Forest 2 / Deep Warden 8 / Fighter 1

Done.

Rebel7284
2014-01-27, 07:12 PM
Why would monk and FotF AC bonus not stack?

Fouredged Sword
2014-01-27, 07:20 PM
The abilities have the same name, and bonuses with the same name do not stack.

Rebel7284
2014-01-27, 07:35 PM
The abilities have the same name, and bonuses with the same name do not stack.

The ability has the same name but the bonus is untyped. I can see it being ruled either way, but I always interpreted it as stacking unless noted otherwise.

Vhaidara
2014-01-27, 07:48 PM
If I recall, FotF was errataed into not stacking.

Urpriest
2014-01-27, 10:20 PM
If I recall, FotF was errataed into not stacking.

Nope! It's just the "same name" argument.