PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a 10-level Mounted Archery Paladin Build

T'kung
2014-01-27, 05:31 PM
So here's the description of a game I'll be playing in soon:

D&D 3.5, players level 10, any first-party (i.e. published by WotC) sourcebooks, 32 point point-buy, 5,000 gold’s worth of personal treasure, 20,000 gold’s worth of supplies for your faction. Do not make a backstory for your character or faction. You lead roughly 200 mortals of various races, ages, and low levels. And no full-casters, just to keep supplies non-trivial (Bards and Adepts are the highest casters allowed, and psionics and other heavily magic-based classes such as the warlock are also out of the question).
In addition, Leadership and other feats that give me more characters/companions to work with are not allowed. We'll probably be getting a second in command of some sort from the DM.

Based on this stuff, I've decided to prioritize conserving my hp (after all, healing magic is going to be almost nonexistent). And what better way to do that than to never go within 20 feet of any of my foes? Hence my decision to use mounted archery.
I'm pretty sure I want to do Paladin/Fighter, so I have enough feats and because who doesn't want:

Those two extra feats
An 8-hit die warhorse with an AC of 20 and speed of 60 feet? Not to mention improved evasion, and shared saving throws and spells

As the concept stands, it's probably going to be Paladin 8/Fighter 2. I won't be taking any dead levels as fighter, and eight levels in Paladin is just enough to give my mount the aforementioned boosted speed. In exchange for the two fighter bonus feats, I lose a weekly remove disease and one use of Smite Evil per day (and smite evil will be fairly useless, because I'll be up against mostly non-monstrous foes.
Ability scores:
In terms of ability scores (it's a 32-point buy under standard point buy rules, and then I have two more points to add because of my level. I'm thinking for initial scores 14 strength, constitution, and charisma, 16 dexterity, 12 wisdom, and leave intelligence at 8, and then putting the two from leveling up into either wisdom or dexterity. Getting a second level spell might be nice, but so would +1 on ranged attacks.
Feats:
The biggest remaining question: what feats? I'll be getting a total of seven, if I play human (which I shall: both the extra feat and the extra skill will be useful).
Perhaps Mounted Combat, Mounted Archery, Improved Mounted Archery (from Complete Warrior), Point Blank Shot, Rapid Shot, Improved Rapid Shot (Also CW) (EDIT2: this one would need Manyshot), and Precise Shot?
Tell me what you guys think. Also, if you have any other suggestions (how to purchase my equipment {I'm not sure if I should go for barding on the mount or make my composite longbow +1}, any ideas for how to manage my group/interactions with other groups, etc.) or questions, feel free to add them in.

Also are there any paladin variants besides Divine Counterspelling (from Complete Arcane) that allow the Paladin to trade their Turn Undead for something? I don't think I'll need it all that much. Unless I should go for one of the Divine Feats from Complete Divine... (EDIT) Complete Warrior, that is.

EDIT3 to put stuff in spoilers

Lightlawbliss
2014-01-27, 08:56 PM
first: that is a big block of text, you might want to break it up

second:this page (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7908) has many of the available ACF listed, you might want to trade some stuff out.

third:Throwing some light armor on both yourself and the horse should be obvious. Make sure you and everyone following you have some rope, food, water, tinderbox, and other adventuring essentials (this will eat up a lot of gold fast for that big of a group).

Fourth: never assume your enemy is never going to hit you. In fact, good tactics say to charge the guy who is trying to stay away and hit whatever will take him out the fastest with maximum profit (destroying the magic bow could be cheaper then you hitting 20 people with it, especially with little to no magic healing).

fifth: why so high on str, cha, and con? Also, why an int penalty on a build that needs skill ranks?

Nihilarian
2014-01-27, 09:11 PM
Why are you playing a paladin specifically? It doesn't have much to offer an archer. You really need some form of bonus damage to make dedicated archery worth it and paladin's bonus damage is melee unless you take an ACF (there might also be a feat). Even then, it's one attack and archery rewards multiple attacks.

Is it just the mount? You can ask your DM if you can snag Wild Cohort (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a).

There's also a Dragon Magazine scout ACF, but your DM might not allow Dragon Magazine.

T'kung
2014-01-27, 09:21 PM
first: that is a big block of text, you might want to break it up

second:this page (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7908) has many of the available ACF listed, you might want to trade some stuff out.

third:Throwing some light armor on both yourself and the horse should be obvious. Make sure you and everyone following you have some rope, food, water, tinderbox, and other adventuring essentials (this will eat up a lot of gold fast for that big of a group).

Fourth: never assume your enemy is never going to hit you. In fact, good tactics say to charge the guy who is trying to stay away and hit whatever will take him out the fastest with maximum profit (destroying the magic bow could be cheaper then you hitting 20 people with it, especially with little to no magic healing).

fifth: why so high on str, cha, and con? Also, why an int penalty on a build that needs skill ranks?

Thanks for the suggestions. The page you linked is quite helpful, I'll be sure to keep that handy.
ability scores:
I was considering selecting a high Charisma for divine grace and lay on hands. I suppose I could sacrifice some points there for intelligence. The constitution was because my lay on hands/spells will be the only healing magic I get, though I suppose I could shift a few points from there to dexterity. And the strength is for damage, carrying capacity (the DM is going to be particular about encumbrance), and melee attack in case I am forced to dismount. Maybe could get by with a 12 there as well.
skills:
You've got a very good point about needing skills; I'm somewhat considering trying ranger (animal companion as mount) or maybe even bard (I can always just buy a horse) instead of paladin. A magic mount would be nice, but that only benefits me and not the rest of the group.

Is it just the mount? You can ask your DM if you can snag Wild Cohort (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a).

It is indeed the mount. As for Wild Cohort, my DM has vetoed that and other feats that give me extra creatures/characters.

Feint's End
2014-01-27, 09:41 PM
If that is the reason he vetoed it you should ask him if he is ok with you playing a mounted fighter because, you know, being a mounted fighter usually comes with having a mount. The Wild Cohort feat doesn't give you anything you wouldn't have otherwise but rather makes this thing you will have anyways worthwhile.
Just a couple of thoughts.

T'kung
2014-01-27, 09:44 PM
If that is the reason he vetoed it you should ask him if he is ok with you playing a mounted fighter because, you know, being a mounted fighter usually comes with having a mount. The Wild Cohort feat doesn't give you anything you wouldn't have otherwise but rather makes this thing you will have anyways worthwhile.
Just a couple of thoughts.

His opposition is based on the feat's giving me another creature to control. Purchasing mounts is fine by him, but he isn't allowing us to have (nonpurchased) cohorts/followers beyond the ones he gives us. So I suppose I could have hirelings, but that might be a bit expensive.

Nihilarian
2014-01-27, 09:46 PM
Does the DM allow Dragon Magazine?

Lightlawbliss
2014-01-27, 09:47 PM
His opposition is based on the feat's giving me another creature to control. Purchasing mounts is fine by him, but he isn't allowing us to have (nonpurchased) cohorts/followers beyond the ones he gives us. So I suppose I could have hirelings, but that might be a bit expensive.

feat vs gold.... a feat is a massive cost to pay. people would easily pay for thousands of horses if it would give them a feat.

T'kung
2014-01-27, 09:51 PM
Does the DM allow Dragon Magazine?

After asking him, he has decided against it. Told me to stick to the stuff published in the books.
And for clarity's sake, the books I have access to are: the three core manuals; monster manual II; complete warrior, mage, divine, and arcane; heroes of horror; lords of madness; and whatever books I can find online.

Nihilarian
2014-01-27, 10:03 PM
After asking him, he has decided against it. Told me to stick to the stuff published in the books.
And for clarity's sake, the books I have access to are: the three core manuals; monster manual II; complete warrior, mage, divine, and arcane; heroes of horror; lords of madness; and whatever books I can find online.That's unfortunate.

I suggest Ranger. Favored Enemy is a decent damage boost, especially since you have a bit of foreknowledge to your enemies. (Mostly humanid enemies, right?). Look for PrC's that advance Animal Companion, and use what casting you have well.

T'kung
2014-01-27, 10:11 PM
That's unfortunate.

I suggest Ranger. Favored Enemy is a decent damage boost, especially since you have a bit of foreknowledge to your enemies. (Mostly humanid enemies, right?). Look for PrC's that advance Animal Companion, and use what casting you have well.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll probably use the archery track; the only mounted feat I need is Mounted Combat, and the combat style frees up one feat and (due to the manyshot gained at 6th level) lets me take Improved Rapid shot. What should my last feat be? Mounted Combat, Mounted Archery, Improved Mounted Archery (from Complete Warrior), Point Blank Shot, Rapid Shot (from ranger), Manyshot (also from ranger), Improved Rapid Shot (Also CW), and Precise Shot are set. Maybe either Sharpshooting or Improved Favored Enemy (both from complete warrior)? Especially if I could get human as my favored enemy, improved favored enemy would be nice.

EDIT: Unless there's a feat that benefits my animal companion? If I take eight levels of ranger, my companion/mount could be a black bear...

Nihilarian
2014-01-27, 10:28 PM
Natural Bond from Complete Adventurer can give your mount a boost.

Oh, and here's a Ranger (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=4621.0) handbook.

T'kung
2014-01-27, 10:42 PM
Natural Bond from Complete Adventurer can give your mount a boost.

Oh, and here's a Ranger (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=4621.0) handbook.

Thanks a bunch, for both of those. Natural bond would bring effective druid level to 7, enough for, say, a dire wolf or brown bear or something equally nasty (unless I should just stick with a horse so it gets the bonus HD/other goodies? The DM has said he'll allow my companion to be a heavy warhorse rather than just a heavy horse). And the Ranger Handbook has lots of nice stuff.

Xervous
2014-01-28, 12:34 AM
Shiba Protector (http://dndtools.eu/classes/shiba-protector/) is an interesting class to fool around with if you have access to Oriental Adventures. While the feat investment is significant and you're only taking one level, it is a powerful level at that. +WIS to attack and damage. Slap on the zen archery feat and your are now shooting arrows with DOUBLE your WIS on the attack roll and you're also getting an ability score modifier on your arrow damage.

If the DM allows the Dragon Compendium, take Serenity (http://dndtools.eu/feats/dragon-compendium--109/serenity--3394/) to switch the rest of Paladin over to your high WIS score.

This will help with the MADness of the paladin if that concerns you.

T'kung
2014-01-28, 12:45 AM
Shiba Protector (http://dndtools.eu/classes/shiba-protector/) is an interesting class to fool around with if you have access to Oriental Adventures. While the feat investment is significant and you're only taking one level, it is a powerful level at that. +WIS to attack and damage. Slap on the zen archery feat and your are now shooting arrows with DOUBLE your WIS on the attack roll and you're also getting an ability score modifier on your arrow damage.

If the DM allows the Dragon Compendium, take Serenity (http://dndtools.eu/feats/dragon-compendium--109/serenity--3394/) to switch the rest of Paladin over to your high WIS score.

This will help with the MADness of the paladin if that concerns you.

Hm. Both interesting ideas. I'll keep them both in mind if I end up using paladin, especially the second one. Serenity is a wonderful feat - now thhe paladin has only three or four ability scores they need, rather than four or five :smallbiggrin: