PDA

View Full Version : Summoning spells

pbdr
2014-01-27, 08:44 PM
So, I've never been a fan of summoning spells as a player. Now as a DM, i am really starting to dislike them. Granted, it's partly because the PCs don't really know how hey work and it slows the game down a lot.

But also, the whole mechanic just kind of bugs me. You cast a spell and "something" shows up and immediately starts doing your bidding. You can summon a badger and make it attack a dragon.... Ugh.

Summoning demons and other extra-planar beings bugs me less, but I think it should be more of a "caged" summoning (in a warded area, takes a long time, etc.)

Doe s anyone want to change my mind

eggynack
2014-01-27, 08:51 PM
Maybe have your players make up character sheets for their summons, such that they'll have the knowledge of what their summons do when they use them. I don't know how to talk you out of your arbitrary irritation with the flavor of summoning though.

TuggyNE
2014-01-27, 10:14 PM
So, I've never been a fan of summoning spells as a player. Now as a DM, i am really starting to dislike them. Granted, it's partly because the PCs don't really know how hey work and it slows the game down a lot.

But also, the whole mechanic just kind of bugs me. You cast a spell and "something" shows up and immediately starts doing your bidding. You can summon a badger and make it attack a dragon.... Ugh.

For clarity's sake, summons are not quite actual creatures in the strict sense; they are some sort of shadow/mirror/copy/idealized form of the real thing. That is also why they obey you without question, since they're sustained through magic. Astral construct might be more acceptable if you don't like regular summons, though.

Summoning demons and other extra-planar beings bugs me less, but I think it should be more of a "caged" summoning (in a warded area, takes a long time, etc.)

To call an actual demon in the flesh (or unholy facsimile thereof), this is already necessary; (lesser/greater) planar binding requires a special circle and two preparatory spells to keep most demons or devils in place, as well as a ten minute casting time.

Summoning a copy/impression of one is much quicker, but still slower than normal spells.

Doe s anyone want to change my mind

Yes, but I'm not sure if I can.

Bovine Colonel
2014-01-27, 10:21 PM
But how else would you re-enact this?
http://youtu.be/UunqBAHBDo8?t=58s