PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Animal Prices

Cieyrin
2014-01-27, 09:22 PM
So, I'm looking through Ultimate Equipment at the prices of animals and there's some major discrepancies (big surprise, right? :smalltongue:) between animals listed on the tables and what they go for as trade goods.

{table=head]Animal|Trade Good Price|List Price
Chickens|2 cp|1 gp
Goats|1 gp|6 gp
Sheep|2 gp|20 gp
Pig|3 gp|20 gp
Cow|10 gp|50 gp
Ox|15 gp|50 gp[/table]

So, what gives? What should I be using? Trade good prices seems more legitamate to me or are we assuming the table priced ones are pre-trained (pre-trained chickens :P) or something like that? Suggestions definitely appreciated. :smallsmile:

SamsDisciple
2014-01-27, 09:40 PM
My thoughts are that the trade price is the price you get as a merchant who is buying whole sale in order to turn around and sell them again. This is of course using every trick in the merchant book so unless you are a legitimate merchant buying from peasants then use the list price. Not RAW but logic and since logic rarely wins you can discard my opinion easily.

avr
2014-01-27, 09:46 PM
Did you see the 5 GP hedgehogs? I have no idea what the writer was thinking.

I'd take the section as inspiration rather than RAW.

Cieyrin
2014-01-27, 09:55 PM
Did you see the 5 GP hedgehogs? I have no idea what the writer was thinking.

I'd take the section as inspiration rather than RAW.

I didn't but then hedgehogs aren't trade goods, either. Could be a scarcity thing going on, too, as how common could hedgehogs be on the market?

Coidzor
2014-01-27, 10:52 PM
I didn't but then hedgehogs aren't trade goods, either. Could be a scarcity thing going on, too, as how common could hedgehogs be on the market?

This is a world where you can buy dire rats and capybaras last I checked. Just accept that the writer was probably smoking something interesting and move on. :smalltongue:

So, what gives? What should I be using? Trade good prices seems more legitamate to me or are we assuming the table priced ones are pre-trained (pre-trained chickens :P) or something like that? Suggestions definitely appreciated. :smallsmile:

Writer incompetence.

Check the order of operations for Pathfinder. If it kept the primary framework from 3.5, then the primary source document is the older document. This has never really come up before so I honestly can't recall where one would go to doublecheck that. Though, really, just use the bloody trade goods, much less headache.

Disregarding training except for animals obviously trained to a purpose seems best, since only the oxen would typically be trained, and that's for pulling, maybe taking a yoke in the first place depending upon DM anal-retentiveness.

Disregard prices when they conflict with a more reasonable price, take them as loose suggestions otherwise unless it's something that would be really of interest to the PCs for whatever the campaign is focusing on.

Erik Vale
2014-01-27, 11:44 PM
I believe list is trained... I have a feeling trade may have been ripped from dnd trade and list been made on it's own. However I'm feeling a little lazy to check.