PDA

View Full Version : help with gestalt idea *_*

Daro
2014-01-27, 11:54 PM
how can i optimize a monk kensai swordsage. it will be level 16 race aasimar and i want to deal lots of con damage!!!:smallcool:

Rubik
2014-01-27, 11:57 PM
how can i optimize a monk kensai swordsage. it will be level 16 race aasimar and i want to deal lots of con damage!!!:smallcool:Just so you know, the swordsage's Wis-to-AC won't stack with the monk's, since one requires armor and the other requires no armor.

If you want some optimization, look at the gear load-out and monk optimization here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15474863#post15474863) Don't take any more monk levels than necessary, and use kensai to add even more stuff onto your unarmed strike.

HunterOfJello
2014-01-28, 12:00 AM
Swordsages have quite a few maneuvers that do Con damage, though its often not a whole lot at once. If you're going the unarmed route (and happen to be optimizing heavily) then I would definitely grab Touch of Golden Ice while you're at it. That way you'll be doing Dex damage to them too.

Are you going to go with unarmed swordsage? If so, you might be able to skip monk and grab something like the Rogue with Fighter Feats instead.

Nettlekid
2014-01-28, 12:06 AM
If you want to do Con damage then make your fists Wounding with the Kensai's enchanting ability, and get as many attacks as you can. The Monk's flurry of blows along with Snap Kick should get you quite a few, as will Dancing Mongoose, Pouncing Charge, and Raging Mongoose when you get them with Swordsage. Swordsage's Bloodletting Strike, and the 9th level Mountain Tombstone Strike, will also do Con damage.

Manly Man
2014-01-28, 12:07 AM
I would probably drop the Monk half entirely, and go something like Fighter 2/Warblade 4/Kensai 10//Unarmed Swordsage 16.You'll still get a great set of saves, you'll get some good extra maneuvers from your Warblade levels (and can even take Iron Heart Surge on your last Warblade level!), and be able to focus mostly on your Swordsage maneuvers with a Monk's unarmed damage progression, using the Kensai levels to enchant your fists. A few of the Swordsage's maneuvers do more than just Con damage as well, especially what's in Shadow Hand. I think there are maneuvers in that discipline that do Strength and Dexterity damage as well, and the 9th-level Shadow Hand maneuver is pretty much an instant crippling, since no matter what happens, the result sucks for the target if you hit them.

Quiddle
2014-01-28, 12:30 AM
Or if you want to punch up your monk abilities you could abuse a gestalt monk + psionics class interaction through the feat Tashalatora.

Rubik
2014-01-28, 12:36 AM
Or if you want to punch up your monk abilities you could abuse a gestalt monk + psionics class interaction through the feat Tashalatora.Tashalatoran monk 2/psion X/psion PrC Y // warblade or crusader could be pretty darned useful.

Manly Man
2014-01-28, 02:49 AM
Yeah, tashalatoran Monk is good. I'd mix it with Psychic Warrior myself, though, mostly because of the feats, and plenty of the PsyWar powers are made specifically to enhance you to the point that you make anything from Barbarian downward look like a chump.

Rubik
2014-01-28, 03:02 AM
Yeah, tashalatoran Monk is good. I'd mix it with Psychic Warrior myself, though, mostly because of the feats, and plenty of the PsyWar powers are made specifically to enhance you to the point that you make anything from Barbarian downward look like a chump.And psychic warriors can (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=11801.msg417846#msg417846) be serious contenders. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2926.msg97988#msg97988)

Fouredged Sword
2014-01-28, 09:44 AM
Ok, here we go.

Monk 2 / Feat rogue 2 / Fighter 2 / Kensai 10 / Class X
//
Swordsage 20

Ok, so take Focused Assault Overwhelming Attack Monk 2 for Power Attack (no prereqs), Improved Bullrush, evasion, and the ability to make a full round single attack for double damage. Grab a quarterstaff and have fun killing things.

On the swordsage side, focus on diamond mind and tiger claw. Mostly counters and the damage replacing strikes.

Grab a belt of battle and a vest of steady spellcasting.

Here is what your combo looks like. Move up to an opponent. Hit them and wait for your next round. Then activate Focused Assault for a double damage hit with your quarterstaff. If they die, good, if not, activate your belt of battle for an extra standard action and hit them with the 2xconcentration check strike. The damage of this gets doubled again by focused assault for 4x concentration check damage. Activate the vest of steady spellcasting for +20 to the concentration check.

You should do 160 damage, minimum.

Pick up snapkick and you add two double damage unarmed strikes in there as well.

Take ray reflection ACF at level 4, replacing the copy of evasion with the ability to return missed touch attacks back at the character who attacked you.