PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Two Weapon Fighting for Free

Thurbane
2014-01-28, 12:22 AM
Hey all,

Looking for a way to get Two Weapon Fighting for free, without having to meet the prereqs. Ranger 2 is obvious, but looking for other options.

This is for an NPC with a stump knife in place of one hand, so Gloves of the Balanced Hand won't work./

Cheers - T

OldTrees1
2014-01-28, 12:41 AM
Diopsid race can ignore the Dex requirement but if Ranger 2 is out then Diopsid is probably out too.

Quiddle
2014-01-28, 12:54 AM
Flurry of blows is pretty much two weapon fighting with monk weapons.

Thurbane
2014-01-28, 01:08 AM
CReature type is humanoid (human or hobgoblin). The TWF needs to able to utilize the stump knife as the secondary weapon.

It looks like Ranger levels will be easiest, but I wanted to avoid having to use light armor only.

Ramza00
2014-01-28, 01:10 AM
Personally I say a single glove of the balanced hand would be fair for a single glove or two gloves still take up the hands slot.

But you could always add the effect to another magic item that takes up a single glove for 50% more, or make the item slotless for 100% more.

An eternal wand of heroics would cost 4,420 and give you heroics for 60 mins a day (two 30 min periods), it does take a standard action to activate and the ability to cast arcane spells.

avr
2014-01-28, 01:11 AM
If the stump knife counts as a natural weapon and you somehow get 2 more natural attacks ... Multiattack has no dex prerequisite.

Telonius
2014-01-28, 02:15 AM
The Dread Pirate prestige class (CAdv) grants Two-Weapon Fighting at first level (as long as you wear light or no armor).

EDIT: Just saw the later comment about light armor - sorry that won't help.

EDIT2: One other possibility, if you can convince the DM that the stump knife counts as a dagger: The Half-Elf Fighter2 racial substitution level from Races of Destiny gives you TWF if you wield a longsword or rapier in one hand and a dagger in the other. I know you're planning human, but that's the best I could find.

Rubik
2014-01-28, 02:18 AM
A custom-made gauntlet with the gloves of the balanced hand enhancement would cost the same as a masterwork gauntlet + the GotBH enhancement, and you could add weapon enhancements on the gauntlet, as well.

Uncle Pine
2014-01-28, 03:11 AM
Hm... I'd talk with the DM to see if not having one hand would directly prevent your NPC from having the "hand slot", because Gloves of the Balanced Hand would be awesome.
Otherwise, Martial Monk? Custom magic item of continous Heroics (or Mirror Move)?

Diovid
2014-01-28, 04:10 AM
One level of Fighter is the most obvious choice.

Barbarian, using the City-Brawler variant (Dragon Magazine #349) is another.

Other options include Psychic Warrior, Human Paragon and Half-Elf Paragon.

Thurbane
2014-01-28, 04:15 AM
I'm looking for a way to get the feat without meeting the prereqs.

I think I will just go Ranger and put up with light armor.

Erik Vale
2014-01-28, 04:33 AM
If your willing for the NPC to have two heads, the two headed template can give Superior Two Weapon Fighting, which acts like Perfect Two Weapon Fighting, for the cost of 1 LA and 2 RHD [Monstrous]

Rubik
2014-01-28, 04:35 AM
A single level of martial monk could give you Perfect Two Weapon Fighting, making all those other TWF feats obsolete -- it's what TWF should've been to begin with.

Diovid
2014-01-28, 04:42 AM
I'm looking for a way to get the feat without meeting the prereqs.
That makes sense. My barbarian suggestion still works then (if dragon magazines are on the table).

Uncle Pine
2014-01-28, 05:11 AM
A single level of martial monk could give you Perfect Two Weapon Fighting, making all those other TWF feats obsolete -- it's what TWF should've been to begin with.

Perfect Two Weapon Fighting is an epic Fighter bonus feat. A Martial Monk can only select Fighter bonus feats without meeting prerequisites. Greater Two Weapon Fighting is still a solid choice and it's in fact superior to Perfect Two Weapon Fighting if the NPC has BAB +10 or lower (or equal to Perfect Two Weapon Fighting at BAB +15 or lower).

That makes sense. My barbarian suggestion still works then (if dragon magazines are on the table).
A City Brawler Barbarian gain the effect of TWF when fighting unarmed. The OP's NPC has a stump knife instead of a hand, so it's hardly considered unarmed.

maniacalmojo
2014-01-28, 05:26 AM
.. so one level of fighter will get you an easily accessible way to get the feat. Dex 15 is not bad to have either.

animewatcha
2014-01-28, 07:20 AM
Perfect Two Weapon Fighting is an epic Fighter bonus feat. A Martial Monk can only select Fighter bonus feats without meeting prerequisites. Greater Two Weapon Fighting is still a solid choice and it's in fact superior to Perfect Two Weapon Fighting if the NPC has BAB +10 or lower (or equal to Perfect Two Weapon Fighting at BAB +15 or lower).

A City Brawler Barbarian gain the effect of TWF when fighting unarmed. The OP's NPC has a stump knife instead of a hand, so it's hardly considered unarmed.

Epic bonus fighter feat thing is bit of contention of interpretation. Some will see it as you do, some see it as 'just give them free access.' They are still gonna need the TWF feat to negate the penalties taken for fighting with two weapon ( unless something like the multi-headed template ).

Also, PTWF gets more powerful as you gets more attacks onto your more main hand through things like flurry or haste or whirling frenzy.

kbpb90
2014-01-30, 02:59 PM
Samurai gives you free two weapon fighting and quickdraw

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-01-30, 03:02 PM
You still have a 'gloves/hands' item slot, even if missing both hands. A Glove of Storing is a single glove that takes that item spot. You could easily make Gloves of the Balanced Hand that consist of only a single glove.

Prime32
2014-01-30, 06:42 PM
You still have a 'gloves/hands' item slot, even if missing both hands. A Glove of Storing is a single glove that takes that item spot. You could easily make Gloves of the Balanced Hand that consist of only a single glove.There are already rules for changing the body slot of items if it's thematically appropriate. This isn't even changing the slot, so it should be well within the rules.

Thurbane
2014-01-30, 07:59 PM
Cool, thanks guys.

I'm probably going ranger at the moment (I found a way to make it work to my NPC concept), but the magic item suggestions suggestions are cool.

Grayson01
2014-01-31, 07:13 AM
Use the gloves of Balanced Hand he wears one and ties the other on his stump with some leather binding.