PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] Adapting Spells to my Wizard's Personality

Jarred Stone
2014-01-28, 05:52 AM
I have always had a sweet tooth for wizards in D&D and Pathfinder and I strive to make always wizards with different themes. Last campaign, for example, I made a summoner wizard/rogue a la Pokémon with some scorching rays sneak attacks.

Now, a friend of mine, after more than a year with an hiatus in his campaign, he wanted to continue it. Since he doesn't even remember our character sheets, he allowed us like a reboot of our characters.

It was in his campaign where I played my first wizard PC. She was an hyperarctive nerdy girl with serious problems regarding her lack on social skills, sleep deprivation, lack of confidence from her breast size and a real love for undeads and trolling magic. As some of my friends stated, she was the bastard wizard version of Tomoko from Watamote. Since it was my very first wizard, she was from the universal school and, even her feats didn't have any logic.

Now I am fleshing her again, and rebooting all about her feats, school and spells and, as every mage I make, I want to make her magic speaks about herself.

My first reaction, since she is a complete egghead and lover of knowledge, was letting her continue being in the universal school but, the skills given where pretty lame. After that, I thought about necromancy, as she was aspiring in the campaign... but now I am seeing half of the players are rebooting to clerics/paladins/druids :smallannoyed: . I am not going to **** their fun, you know.

After some thoughts, I about the teleportation subschool from conjuration school or the shadow sub-school from the illusionist sub-school. The first give me that awesome short-range teleportation for fluff uses because, she is so hyperactive, she can be teleporting all around the room when feeling nervous or shy in front of social interactions. The later gives me a shadow attack which fits her love for the dark stuff and, at level 8, she could start teleporting around all the room like with the other sub-school. The problem? I don't see much stuff I like for her from the illusion school, and I am afraid to fall with the conjuration schoold on the same stuff I was doing with my last wizard (the pokémon trainer one).

However, it is true that, in the setting of this DM, summoning undeads is a NEUTRAL spell, so I wouldn't ping as evil for those divine yerks... althought I am not totally convinced about that, even when the DM told me he THINKS they would not get mad with that.

Any thoughts about possible sub-schools and spells it would be interesting to take for her and her personality? Here some of her personality traits to sum it up.

- Asocial.
- She wants to be popular on school.
- Lack of constitution and strength score = Pretty slim, weak and flat body.
- Teen issues. Always blaming her body as the reason she is no popular.
- She has a hard on books. She even speaks to them like if they are her lovers.
- Some nights, she doesn't even sleep because "I needed to finnish reading Tom". Yes, I accept the sleep deprivation penalization in order to give some fluff.
- She likes to use "Alter Herself" when tries to make someone she cares like her, ... but she usually pour all her spaggetti in a comical way.
- Tfw >no bf.
- She loves everything who could looks unpleasing to normal eyes or something strange, exotical and unknown.
- Sociopath, she dreams about being the new BBEG (Busty Bad Evil Girl).
- Always talking about how awesome would be having one of the players as her undead servant.
- Incompetent. Even when she tries to make something for the sake of evil, her stupid plans fail and she ends doing things more lawful and good than even the paladin.
- She is resignated to embrace an adventuring life, hoping to get great reknown and reputation around all the world as the most powerful (and pretty) wizard all over the world...
- ... or she will finally snap and get up as the new Dark Empress of the undead paladins.

- She has a owl familiar which she talks a lot to. People, except the paladin, thinks that she has lost her sanity.
- Her familiar is a polyformed "gangsta swashbuckler" (as the GM described).
- She don't even know that little point about her familiar.
- Her familiar will be always always bullying her and telling her how she is spreading all her spaghetti when she tries social interaction.
- Her familiar thinks that the paladin is a bro, since he cares about animals and smokes swamp herbs.

marcielle
2014-01-28, 07:55 AM
Have you considered taking a look at the transmutation school? Changing yourself to fit in and all that jazz. Also, it's a valid route to solve her 'small' problem. Illusions and charms feel more like they would be the territory of the class clown or preppy queen bee with something to hide.
Also, Transmutation has some real good synergy with minionmancy. It's more efficient to keep a few powerful minions and buff them than to have a literal horde.
She could take joy in 'twisting' creatures and stuff like that.
Also, everyone loves a transmutationist. She could use it to cozy up to any number of party members.

Jarred Stone
2014-01-28, 08:37 AM
The problem would be that transmutation is, mainly, buffs and utility out-of-combat spells, and we already have a cleric and a druid in the team.

To clarify too, the party is formed by:

- Paladin
- Cleric
- Druid
- Cavalier

I know, I know... there is no rogue or sneaky guy... I know ;___;

khachaturian
2014-01-28, 05:15 PM
how about a vivisectionist alchemist to cover
- creepy secret forbidden knowledge
- transformation of self
- rogue skills, stealth... with sneak attack

NightbringerGGZ
2014-01-28, 05:27 PM
How about a Witch? You get nice debuffing actions, fun with Enchantment & Necromancy spells and a familiar you have to commune with when preparing your spells.

I was going to suggest the Gravewalker archetype, by you really want to keep the owl I'm guessing.