PDA

View Full Version : RHD advice: Ozy the betrayer?

TheDarkSaint
2014-01-28, 06:46 AM
My players; Aden, Adler, Nathen and Tiberious, keep out.

I've been prepping the Red Hand of Doom for my players and I came across something that just doesn't...fit.

On Skull Gorge Pass, our favorite Green Dragon swoops around, possibly bull rushing characters to their doom and stinking up the place with chlorine. Most people seem to take down Ozy fairly easily and it got my wondering...

Why would a Green Dragon fight at all? From what I read in the fluff, they are the politico's of the Chromatic Dragon world with complex plots, no real loyalties and betrayals galore.

Why would Ozy fight to the death or fight and run away when he could use the adventurers?

My line of thought goes like this.

Adventurers show up at the Pass. Mooks and support rush them, Ozy makes a pass with a breath weapon and starts to circle. He notices how easily the PC's clean up the mooks and lands at the other side of the bridge to just wait.

He offers them information about the reinforcements to the north and south, maybe giving away strategic information about the phylactery. Once a deal has been struck, he wings it to the far western forest.

Motivations? Revenge and clearing out the competition. Here he finds a band of PC's that are proving quite powerful (they obviously defeated/killed Koth) and who could be a serious thorn in the side of the Red Horde. They could probably kill him if they tried.

However, if they were able to disrupt the horde enough so that it stalls out at Brindol and luck beyond luck they were able to take out the other wyrmlords and dragons, he's got the whole vale to himself. No more competition and he doesn't have to store his horde at the Thane, which seems more like a way to keep the dragons in line.

Ozy doesn't strike me as super religious and would be more interested in having Good get rid of his problems than have Tiamat hit the Prime Material.

Has anyone ever tried this? If so, how did it work out? Can anyone see potential problems with this?
T
Thanks!

Vintrastorm
2014-01-28, 07:15 AM
I like this a lot.

The only problem I see is that Tiamat is directly involved in this and she isn't a god who'd value intrigue among her followers if it disrupted her great schemes. I'd say that fear would/could hold Ozy in check.

I do like the whole negotiating bit though. Although I'd expect it to fall apart if the party is exceptionally LG aligned.

Vintrastorm
2014-02-07, 05:22 AM
I'd like to bump this and see if anyone else have any thoughts about the matter. I might be on my way to start my own RHOD campaign soon and this idea intrigues me.

Runestar
2014-02-07, 09:23 PM
At the time you encounter him, he's just a young green dragon. Would he even be capable of thinking so far ahead? He would barely be 20 years old (going by draconomicon).

Alternatively, maybe he is just that fanatically devoted to Tiamat?

Starbuck_II
2014-02-07, 09:42 PM
My players; Aden, Adler, Nathen and Tiberious, keep out.

I've been prepping the Red Hand of Doom for my players and I came across something that just doesn't...fit.

He offers them information about the reinforcements to the north and south, maybe giving away strategic information about the phylactery. Once a deal has been struck, he wings it to the far western forest.
Thanks!

What are the PCs offering in return?
Plus, yeah the whole Tiamat thing. She is their god. I don't think Ozzy wants the RHD after him.

So even if he does this (runs away/advising instead of fighting); he'll be forced to fight at the Brindol Battle.

Techwarrior
2014-02-08, 03:35 AM
Could the OP please alter the thread title to be more noticeably about the Red Hand of Doom? I caught that in the first line, and managed to avoid the spoilers, but others might not be so lucky.

Originally, I thought it was about Racial Hit Dice, and was asking for build advice on this 'Ozy' character.