PDA

View Full Version : [PF]Deadly Dealer + Deck of Many Things

Thrair
2014-01-28, 09:12 AM
I'm only half serious, but one of the games I'm in has a Harrow Deck of Many Things, partially used. If you had the Deadly Dealer feat tree, could you shoot cards into them from the Deck? :P

Segev
2014-01-28, 09:18 AM
Probably, but you count as drawing each one.

Psyren
2014-01-28, 09:33 AM
Simply declare "1." After you draw the one card, you can use the deck as much as you want, because every subsequent card will be blank and the cards will replace themselves.

Thrair
2014-01-28, 12:10 PM
So... if you had the build with Deadly Dealer (and, ofc, Quick Draw), you could cast Abundant Ammunition on the Harrow Deck, then throw whatever cards into the enemy that you like. And do it repeatedly.

Only question is whom do the cards affect, and are they magically replaced? Could you toss the card, go "Oooh, that's nice, I want another" and toss it again next round? For infinite DoMTs cards?

Shame I can't use this cheese in my quesadilla. Even if it doesn't work, I find it amusing.

Psyren
2014-01-28, 02:08 PM
You don't need Abundant Ammunition - the Deck itself already replaces any cards you throw.

The cards affect you, because you must draw a card in order to throw it. However, you must also declare how many cards you're drawing before you toss. Only that number of cards will have an effect; all the rest will forevermore be blank, even if you're still using it years later.

Bickerstaff
2014-01-28, 06:03 PM
If you're just looking for a self-refilling ammo source for Deadly Dealer, you can (IIRC) get Eldritch Heritage (Arcane) for the weapon option; since a deck of cards counts as a ranged weapon (with 54 pieces of ammunition) after the Deadly Dealer feat.

Since it is a Bonded Object, the destroyed cards should regenerate each day, since a Bonded Object regenerates any damage dealt to it at the beginning of the day. Though I guess this requires the assumption that when the cards are destroyed (leaving the rest of the item whole), it counts as damage to the item.

gawwy
2014-01-28, 06:12 PM
As you are using the cards as a weapon could you enchant the deck of many things as though it was ammunition?

then you could do sick things like put the exploding enchantment on all of them.

would the cards return to the deck with the enchantment or appear as new unenchanted cards?

NightbringerGGZ
2014-01-28, 06:12 PM
If you're just looking for a self-refilling ammo source for Deadly Dealer, you can (IIRC) get Eldritch Heritage (Arcane) for the weapon option; since a deck of cards counts as a ranged weapon (with 54 pieces of ammunition) after the Deadly Dealer feat.

Since it is a Bonded Object, the destroyed cards should regenerate each day, since a Bonded Object regenerates any damage dealt to it at the beginning of the day. Though I guess this requires the assumption that when the cards are destroyed (leaving the rest of the item whole), it counts as damage to the item.

That's pretty clever actually. Remind me, can you enhance a bonded item?

Bickerstaff
2014-01-28, 06:27 PM
That's pretty clever actually. Remind me, can you enhance a bonded item?

Yes. It's still a weapon, after all.

Edit: Well, maybe not. The Deadly Dealer feats says you can enhance the deck as a ranged weapon, but it looks like Arcane Bond makes you enhance it yourself (as if you had Item Creation feats)?

NightbringerGGZ
2014-01-28, 09:36 PM
That's actually pretty good. Now I need to figure out how recreate Gambit :smallsmile: So far Arcane Duelist Bard looks like it would work the best, though the damage is kinda low.

Thrair
2014-01-29, 02:18 PM
Heh, yah. Although anything with Deadly Dealer isn't exactly going for optimization.

Also, I was thinking of this more like being a **** and trying to force DoMT cards on other schmucks.

*EDIT* To clarify, NPC schmucks.

Crazysaneman
2014-01-29, 02:39 PM
I'm just going to leave this here...
You should have seen my players faces when.... (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/undead/red-jester)