PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Magician vs. Superstitious Mob: Favorite Spell Tactics

Black_Zawisza
2014-01-28, 10:52 AM
I'm playing a level 1 wizard starting in a very arcanophobic region. What are some ways an arcane caster can deal with this situation? Either for ensuring that the authorities won't discover my abilities or (once exposed) that my dead body won't be found bloated and washed up on a beach. I know divination can often be a good focus for casters needing a more subtle way of achieving results.

Ideally I'm looking for content from Core + Forgotten Realms, but any ideas are welcome.

BowStreetRunner
2014-01-28, 10:55 AM
Cityscape has the Deceptive Spell and Invisible Spell feats.

Diarmuid
2014-01-28, 11:23 AM
I think there is also a Skill Trick in Complete Scoundrel to help conceal spellcasting.

Silent and/or Still spells will make noticing that you're the one doing the casting less obvious as well. Unfortunately, there's not a lot you can really do at 1st level that will be difficult to notice and will actually have a whole lot of impact on an adventure.

Going into another room and casting an Unseen Servant might be useful, but only for an hour.

Quiddle
2014-01-28, 11:41 AM
I'm going to second taking invisible spell.

winter92
2014-01-28, 11:54 AM
I'm not sure of the details of your situation, but does "arcanophobe" imply it's just an opposition to arcane casting? If so, you could try to pass yourself off as a divine caster of some sort, perhaps a healer or favored soul to explain your armorlessness and seem nonthreatening. Binders and warlocks could also be faked to seem less magical, but they're a bit loathed for their own reasons.

As another possibility, focusing on enchantment can be a good option. Charm person is useful well after it's immediate casting, and if it works you can easily keep your subject from worrying about your magic use. You can also take the enchanter ACF that grants you bluff (and a snake familiar) to lie your way out of any awkward accusations of wizardry.