PDA

View Full Version : Deadly Defense Fighter

tricktroller
2014-01-28, 11:21 AM
Ok folks of the Playground,

I had a few more questions about this feat that I haven't seen covered.

If you were wearing a spiked chain shirt would you get the extra d6 to damage using it as an offhand attack? It says it is a light weapon so I imagine by RAW it would but I like clarification.

I have a character concept that uses a whip and spiked armor to dish out some serious damage.

All I have so far is 3rd level and some of the feats are out of the AEG Feats book.

Fighter 2/Warblade 1

Fl1 Deadly Defense
Fl2 Pathof the Preying Mantis (+4 to ac while fighting defensively, and Preying is how they spell it in the book)
Human Two weapon Fighting
1st EWP Whip (Dagger)
F1 Expertise (Needed to qualify for Path of the preying mantis)
F2 Two Weapon Defense (Out of the AEG Feat book this reduces the penalty for fighting defensively with two weapons to 0.)
3rd Combat reflexes (I guess?)

So basically I will be in punishing stance at all times I will get +5 to ac from fighting defensively(+2 Normal -2 punishing stance +4 PotPM +1 Tumble) all the time and each of my weapons will do 3d6 damage.

I threaten from 15 feet out right up to myself.

Any glaring erros with this build?

Toliudar
2014-01-28, 12:15 PM
I don't remember a 3.5 source for the whip dagger, but whips in 3.5 don't threaten other squares.

Flickerdart
2014-01-28, 12:18 PM
I don't remember a 3.5 source for the whip dagger, but whips in 3.5 don't threaten other squares.
There is no 3.5 whip dagger. It only appears in A&EG, at which point whips were ranged weapons and still couldn't threaten.

tricktroller
2014-01-28, 12:18 PM
Doh! Then I guess I would need to use a spiked chain to get at least out to 10' and then the dual wielding becomes less necessary.

Sian
2014-01-28, 12:22 PM
Spinning Sword from Secrets of Sarlona (Eberron splatbook) might serve you, its basicly a onehanded spiked chain with short sword stats :smallbiggrin:

tricktroller
2014-01-28, 12:25 PM
Well I'm dual wielding any weapon and spiked armor so I could use the spike chain and the shirt to achieve my goals but it was mostly so I could threaten everything within 15 feet.

Palanan
2014-01-28, 12:36 PM
Originally Posted by Flickerdart
There is no 3.5 whip dagger. It only appears in A&EG, at which point whips were ranged weapons and still couldn't threaten.

The whip dagger and mighty whip dagger also appear in Sword and Fist, although they're treated the same as in the AEG.

Yes, seriously, "mighty whip dagger."

:smalltongue:

Sian
2014-01-28, 02:14 PM
S&F is 3.0, just as A&EG so point is moot

tricktroller
2014-01-28, 02:58 PM
Alright then I have a slightly different build that would not focus on having reach at all but instead would have much higher ac.

The main question I have is this, can a monk/fighter/duelist get precise strike on an "offhand" unarmed attack from like a kick? Relevant Text "When making a precise strike, a duelist cannot attack with a weapon in her other hand or use a shield."

This seems to me like kicking or headbutting someone is perfectly acceptable.

This way I could TWF with a duelist and dish out some decent damage with a simple rapier and a level 2 Monk fist damage.

This guy is a wood elf Monk 2/ Fighter 4/ Duelist 10

Fl1 Body Combat (gain benefits of TWF only if off hand is an unarmed attack like a "kick, knee, elbow smash, or headbutt"
Fl2 Elven Blood, Fire Elf (+1 BAB AEG Feat book)
1st Two Weapon Defense (Out of the AEG Feat book this reduces the penalty for fighting defensively with two weapons to 0.)
M1 Expertise (Needed to qualify for Path of the preying mantis)
M2 Deflect Arrows
3rdPathof the Preying Mantis (+4 to ac while fighting defensively, and Preying is how they spell it in the book)
F1 Weapon Finesse
F2 Deadly Defense
6th Dodge
F4 Mobility

Oh and Stats for this guy are (str +2 Dex +2 con -2 Int -2 for wood elf)

Str 18
Dex 20
Con 14
Int 14
Wis 18
Cha 15

gorfnab
2014-01-29, 07:10 PM
You could modify a build I came up with awhile ago based on Fighting Defensively.

Human or Strongheart Halfling
1. Cobra Strike (UA) Decisive Strike (PHBII) Monk - Carmendine Monk (CoV), Combat Expertise, B: Dodge
2. Cobra Strike (UA) Monk - B: Mobility
3. Swashbuckler - Deadly Defense (CS), B: Weapon Finesse
4. Swashbuckler
5. Swashbuckler
6. Thief Acrobat - Combat Reflexes
7. Thief Acrobat
8. Thief Acrobat
9. Thief Acrobat - Einhander (PHBII)
10. Thief Acrobat
11. Warblade
12. Warblade or Duelist - Ironheart Aura (ToB)
13. Duelist
14. Duelist
15. Duelist - Robilar's Gambit (PHBII)
16. Duelist
17. Duelist
18. Duelist - Stormgaurd Warrior (ToB)
19. Duelist
20. Duelist

Levels 10 through 12 can be rearranged depending on your needs. The current setup gives you Improved Evasion and Uncanny Dodge at these levels. However if you don't need Improved Evasion take one less level of Thief Acrobat and move the first level of Warblade to level 10. If you don't need Uncanny Dodge don't take the 2nd level of Warblade and instead go into Duelist a level early. If you don't need either abilities take Warblade at level 10 and enter Duelist at level 11.

If flaws are available pick up EWP: Broadblade Shortsword (CAdv, pre-errata version if possible) or Versatile Unarmed Strike (PHBII) and Snap Kick (ToB) (may need to rearrange later feats). If traits are available pick up Cautious (UA).

The Monk and Swashbuckler levels (levels 1 through 5) can be switched around to taste. I personally like Swash 1/ Monk 2/ Swash 2

Items:
Vest of Defense
Bracers of Blocking
Broadblade Shortsword (if flaws are allowed and pre-errata version if possible) or Rapier with the Defensive Surge enhancement.