PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Shapechanging Magic and Movement Modes

Grey Watcher
2014-01-28, 01:04 PM
So, I'm confused by the wording of the various shapechanging spells in Pathfinder, and my Google-Fu has failed to find the answer. (I mostly get build advice for Druids.)

Let's take Beast Shape II (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/b/beast-shape). The spell mentions that, if the desired form has it, you get Fly 60 ft with good maneuverability. Now, if I want to turn into a parrot (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/animals/parrot) (Fly 40 ft with average maneuverability), which version of the Fly speed takes precedence? Do I get the full benefit listed in the spell description (so I am now an unusually fast and maneuverable parrot)? Or do I only get what comes standard with my assumed shape, even if its weaker than what the spell could, potentially grant me?

Drachasor
2014-01-28, 01:17 PM
That info is under the polymorph subschool details in the magic section.

If the form you choose grants these benefits, or a greater ability of the same type, you gain the listed benefit. If the form grants a lesser ability of the same type, you gain the lesser ability instead.

That's not where PF polymorph is confusing. It's confusing when you are trying to determine what abilities you lose and what that precisely means.

While under the effects of a polymorph spell, you lose all extraordinary and supernatural abilities that depend on your original form (such as keen senses, scent, and darkvision), as well as any natural attacks and movement types possessed by your original form. You also lose any class features that depend upon form, but those that allow you to add features (such as sorcerers that can grow claws) still function. While most of these should be obvious, the GM is the final arbiter of what abilities depend on form and are lost when a new form is assumed. Your new form might restore a number of these abilities if they are possessed by the new form.

For instance, does a Cure Light Wounds spell heal a Construct affected by a polymorph spell? Their decision to dance around the type change makes for a lot of murky issues here.

Grey Watcher
2014-01-28, 01:30 PM
That info is under the polymorph subschool details in the magic section.

Wow. It was right there all along. *headdesk o' shame*

So, basically, I fly as the standard parrot does. What the spell offers is Fly up to 60 ft with good maneuverability. I realize it would, strictly speaking, be redundant, but they could've restated it or offered a reminder or something. :smallannoyed:

That's not where PF polymorph is confusing. It's confusing when you are trying to determine what abilities you lose and what that precisely means.

For instance, does a Cure Light Wounds spell heal a Construct affected by a polymorph spell? Their decision to dance around the type change makes for a lot of murky issues here.

Well, that'll be a fun set of argument if my replacement character ever sees play (if my current PC dies, I've been tossing around ideas for a replacement, and one of them is a shapechange junkie).

Anyway, thanks for pointing me to the answer! :smallsmile: