PDA

View Full Version : Illusions and Line of Sight Teleports

Tevesh
2014-01-28, 05:21 PM
This came up in my latest session and I don't know how to rule on it.

Party is in a corridor. Enemy has casted Wall of Fire which completely fills the corridor, blocking Line of Sight to past it.

The Mages want to be beyond that Wall of Fire but the only had a Magic Item or Spell prepared that required Line of Sight to Teleport.

The Beguiler was thinking of putting an illusion over the Wall of Fire, thereby granting Illusionary Line of Sight. They weren't going to do anything besides make the Wall of Fire "invisible" from one angle.

I was conflicted. My gut said "yes" but would the need to make a skill check?

Anybody have a good idea on how to handle this?

eggynack
2014-01-28, 05:27 PM
Almost certainly not, given that you'd only have line of sight to the illusion that you've produced. It really depends on the specific illusion being used though, I'd suspect.

Lightlawbliss
2014-01-28, 05:53 PM
If the illusion actually make the wall invisible, then it works. Otherwise it doesn't.

TuggyNE
2014-01-28, 08:06 PM
Party is in a corridor. Enemy has casted Wall of Fire which completely fills the corridor, blocking Line of Sight to past it.

Not sure why wall of fire would block line of sight; pure flames are somewhat transparent.

The Beguiler was thinking of putting an illusion over the Wall of Fire, thereby granting Illusionary Line of Sight. They weren't going to do anything besides make the Wall of Fire "invisible" from one angle.

Figments cannot conceal things or change the way they look, only glamers can. (Figments are additive, glamers are transformative or subtractive.) So e.g. silent image doesn't even begin to work.

Tevesh
2014-01-29, 01:57 PM
Glamer vs. Figment is a perfect answer, thank you!

Crake
2014-01-29, 02:11 PM
Not sure why wall of fire would block line of sight; pure flames are somewhat transparent.

You'd think so, wouldn't you, but the spell is actually quite clear in that the wall is actually opaque and blocks line of sight.

TuggyNE
2014-01-29, 08:40 PM
You'd think so, wouldn't you, but the spell is actually quite clear in that the wall is actually opaque and blocks line of sight.

Well, sure enough. *raeg*