PDA

View Full Version : Ian hasn't forgiven him

Surprise!
2014-01-28, 05:37 PM
In keeping from my understanding of Ian Starshine's character I doubt he will let this familial pass of "Oh I would have done the same for Haley" it is a little more self sacrificing from him that I have seen in his actions.

My gp on Ian working an angel with the Empire of Blood Resistance involving setting him up for treachery then over reacting about said suspected treachery, Ian is an arbitrary character imho and he seemed riled up to go after some one like Elan whom he had to cool his plotting.

Plus if he was so sorry why the update to Bozzock about him breaking out, why tattle tale when Ian rotting in the jail a much more believable assumption a continent away?

Clistenes
2014-01-28, 06:01 PM
Bozzok will soon learn about Ian's escape. There are posters with his face all around, and some thief is bound to learn about it and tell Bozzok.

I'm not sure about Ian. He may understand what Geoff did, but, will he be able to trust him again? He's taking part of a resistance movement, how can he be sure that Geoff won't betray him and get him into jail yet again? And if he kicks Geoff out, how can he be sure that he won't tell Tarquin about Ian joining the Empire of Doom's resistance?

If they had access to 9th level spells they could make Geoff forget that he betrayed Ian and why he did it using Programmed Amnesia, but, I don't think that's an option.

I dunno, maybe they could turn Geoff into stone and cast Break Enchantment on him once Tarquin is dead?

Haar
2014-01-28, 06:08 PM
I think Geoff has earned brownie points for explaining everything, but yeah, I agree. I think Ian's going to be a bit more cautious about Geoff. This is considering if Geoff hangs around, since he'll probably talk to Bozzok again (remembering he should if he wants his son's safety) and Bozzok isn't interested in Ian anymore. I think he might either let Geoff go, or tell him to find some means to follow Haley. More likely the former, and Bozzok and his crew are going to get up in Haley's business.

rbetieh
2014-01-28, 06:18 PM
Well Geoff was apparently suffering in prison with him the whole time....maybe that will earn some understanding.

martianmister
2014-01-28, 06:31 PM
"Family first" is one of Ian's principles. And Geoff did it all for "family".

Surprise!
2014-01-28, 06:31 PM
Yes but Geoffry's treachery involved Haley, putting Ian in a threatening situation of "gasp being seduced by the evil emperor's son!" I think we may see him murder Geoffry from the neutral, my children mean more to me then the rest of my family, perspective.

dps
2014-01-28, 06:50 PM
Yes but Geoffry's treachery involved Haley, putting Ian in a threatening situation of "gasp being seduced by the evil emperor's son!" I think we may see him murder Geoffry from the neutral, my children mean more to me then the rest of my family, perspective.

I don't think that there was ever much threat of Ian being seduced by Elan. Or by Nale, for that matter, even if it has been implied that Nale was open to experimentation.

:smallbiggrin:

Bulldog Psion
2014-01-28, 06:51 PM
I don't know if there's enough room left in the story for these definitely secondary characters to pursue a full forgiveness/non-forgiveness story. This may be the last we hear of it, it we could see Ian say "nah, I don't trust you any more" and dispatch Geoff. But I doubt an extended exploration of the topic is upcoming.

Of course, Mr. Burlew often manages to surprise just about everyone here. So I could well be wrong.

Keltest
2014-01-28, 06:59 PM
I doubt he has forgiven him completely, but by all appearances he understood enough to put off thoughts of immediate retribution.

dps
2014-01-28, 07:01 PM
I don't know if there's enough room left in the story for these definitely secondary characters to pursue a full forgiveness/non-forgiveness story. This may be the last we hear of it, it we could see Ian say "nah, I don't trust you any more" and dispatch Geoff. But I doubt an extended exploration of the topic is upcoming.

Of course, Mr. Burlew often manages to surprise just about everyone here. So I could well be wrong.

There's 2 books left, so there's still plenty of room for secondary characters to have their stories told. OTOH, Ian is still holding the knife in the last panel of 942, so he may be about to do Geoff in. We'll see.

Amphiox
2014-01-28, 07:15 PM
Forgive and trust aren't necessarily going to be the same thing here.

DeliaP
2014-01-28, 07:20 PM
You know, at Panel 6 I was thinking "Hey, I'm actually going to win a bet in the OotS death pool"..... but, nah, pretty sure the knife in Ian's hand is there because otherwise people would be saying "Hey, where did the knife go?"

Guancyto
2014-01-28, 07:31 PM
I would agree that whether or not Ian had actually forgiven Geoff, this would be his reaction. Ian plays things close to the vest.

So whether he really has been forgiven or there's a B-list counter-betrayal coming is probably not something we'll find out until it actually happens.

Keltest
2014-01-28, 07:35 PM
I would agree that whether or not Ian had actually forgiven Geoff, this would be his reaction. Ian plays things close to the vest.

So whether he really has been forgiven or there's a B-list counter-betrayal coming is probably not something we'll find out until it actually happens.

I doubt there would be something gruesome or anything like that. Ian is supposed to be one of the good-aligned parents, which means less excessive violence and betrayal.

Rig
2014-01-28, 07:38 PM
Geoff had something over his head to prevent him revealing all to Ian, and now that retribution from the thieves is looming he'll most likely go into damage control and silence/kill Ian. If one of them doesn't say goodbye and attempt to deal with the other in the next of their strips (or at least have their willingness to do so hinted at, this being a children's comic) I'll be disappointed. I wonder if we can expect to see Elan's reaction, perhaps as part of a wider discussion.

My main question is why a family that puts the lives of it's members first allows their children to become adventurers. Haley only just barely has an excuse thanks to needing to save the world, and a upbringing without many options. Why have Pole-arm inquirer presented as having a favorable occupation in his fathers eyes? Why remain in a profession where hostages are to be expected?

Clistenes
2014-01-28, 07:40 PM
I doubt there would be something gruesome or anything like that. Ian is supposed to be one of the good-aligned parents, which means less excessive violence and betrayal.

Actually, the Giant has confirmed that Ian is CN.

Keltest
2014-01-28, 07:46 PM
Actually, the Giant has confirmed that Ian is CN.

Well what does he know? he only writes the durned comic.

martianmister
2014-01-28, 07:51 PM
Well what does he know? he only writes the durned comic.

I hope it's sarcasm and not a pro-smurf ad.

thatSeniorGuy
2014-01-28, 08:03 PM
Why have Pole-arm inquirer presented as having a favorable occupation in his fathers eyes? Why remain in a profession where hostages are to be expected?

Jiminy is the shop-keeper, not the adventurer.

Solara
2014-01-28, 08:11 PM

e: Beat me to it.

I (and presumably Ian) would be a little more pissed off at Geoff right now if he hadn't spent three years rotting in that hole along with him. It wasn't just that he threw Ian under a bus, he himself suffered just as much.

martianmister
2014-01-28, 08:17 PM
His family is the only thing he can trust, even if they betrayed him.

DeliaP
2014-01-29, 07:12 AM
Well Geoff was apparently suffering in prison with him the whole time....maybe that will earn some understanding.

I think the combination of these two, and Ian's acknowledgement that he would have done the same as Geoff in Geoff's circumstances, that add up to no-stabbing-today.

hamishspence
2014-01-29, 07:46 AM
I think the combination of these two, and Ian's acknowledgement that he would have done the same as Geoff in Geoff's circumstances, that add up to no-stabbing-today.

Indeed. We've already had betrayal of a comrade be punished by death once in-
strip:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0612.html

I don't know if we need it again.

Nilan8888
2014-01-29, 07:57 AM

This was set up, but only minimally. It's been 'told' more than 'shown'. So I actually hope Ian HASN'T forgiven him. Yeah, "family first", I get it... but the guy's been in jail for 3 years in part due to this guy, has just found out about it now, and he then shrugs it off?

That's a bit... extreme. Perhaps not if Ian's plotting to pull the rug out from under him later, but if Ian's taken at face value here, this is sort of breaking my suspension of disbelief. The degree to which Ian's character has been set up would make me think him likely to understand Geoff's excuse more than the average person, but not just outright forgive him then and there for 3 years in the slammer (dungeon, no less), during which his hair went white. That's just kinda weird.

That said, Ian might not be looking to kill Geoff later, just give him some sort of comeuppance, and use him against Buzzok.

Keltest
2014-01-29, 08:06 AM
This was set up, but only minimally. It's been 'told' more than 'shown'. So I actually hope Ian HASN'T forgiven him. Yeah, "family first", I get it... but the guy's been in jail for 3 years in part due to this guy, has just found out about it now, and he then shrugs it off?

That's a bit... extreme. Perhaps not if Ian's plotting to pull the rug out from under him later, but if Ian's taken at face value here, this is sort of breaking my suspension of disbelief. The degree to which Ian's character has been set up would make me think him likely to understand Geoff's excuse more than the average person, but not just outright forgive him then and there for 3 years in the slammer (dungeon, no less), during which his hair went white. That's just kinda weird.

That said, Ian might not be looking to kill Geoff later, just give him some sort of comeuppance, and use him against Buzzok.

Geoff was in there with him as well (and its hinted that he lost his foot in the arena as well). So its not like he sold him out for a life of luxury or anything.

hamishspence
2014-01-29, 08:08 AM
Geoff was in there with him as well (and its hinted that he lost his foot in the arena as well).

Strip 942: Geoff is missing his foot in the Greysky City flashback - which was before he ended up in the arena.

Keltest
2014-01-29, 08:11 AM
Strip 942: Geoff is missing his foot in the Greysky City flashback - which was before he ended up in the arena.

Ahh yeah. Im wondering if the Giant just forgot that he had implied that, or changed his mind or something.

DeliaP
2014-01-29, 09:01 AM

Ahh yeah. Im wondering if the Giant just forgot that he had implied that, or changed his mind or something.

The implication that Geoff lost his leg in the arena was never very clear cut. Geoff said that he wasn't as good at dodging as Ian, and looked at his leg.

Some of us (myself included) took that to mean he lost his leg because he wasn't so good at dodging.

On reflection, a rather obviously simpler explanation was offered that Geoff wasn't as good at dodging because he already had a wooden leg.

Tiiba
2014-01-29, 09:14 AM
My prediction: somehow, Ian's reaction will be shaped by Elan's plan. It may not be immediately obvious, since we don't know Elan's plan.

And just because it bears repeating: Jiminy is the shopkeeper.

Nilan8888
2014-01-29, 09:23 AM
Geoff was in there with him as well (and its hinted that he lost his foot in the arena as well). So its not like he sold him out for a life of luxury or anything.

That's not really likely to be at the forefront of someone's mind the moment they're told that the person in question had been working with his enemy for all these years.

"Wait, you suffered too? Oh. Well why didn't you just SAY so?"

That's more likely to be a factor in thinking it over after you've cooled down. Maybe. But even then not a heckuva lot. It doesn't really mitigate the betrayal a whole lot.

Keltest
2014-01-29, 09:45 AM
The implication that Geoff lost his leg in the arena was never very clear cut. Geoff said that he wasn't as good at dodging as Ian, and looked at his leg.

Some of us (myself included) took that to mean he lost his leg because he wasn't so good at dodging.

On reflection, a rather obviously simpler explanation was offered that Geoff wasn't as good at dodging because he already had a wooden leg.

Yeah, it was cleverly written in that sense. But id be surprised if the Giant didn't intentionally write that so that our interpretation would be at least seem plausible.

Rig
2014-01-29, 01:24 PM

Nice. Also, if there was a reason he didn't tell Ian before, it hasn't vanished, and they should both be aware of this.

Surprise!
2014-01-30, 03:51 PM
There are a lot of good points but I think the fact that Geoffry has been suffering with Ian is countered by the fact that Geoffry has been actively sabotaging all the escape attempts. It's one thing to be stuck suffering together and another to be forced to suffer with some one.