PDA

View Full Version : Monster Creation Challenge: Horsemen of the Apocalypse

LimeSkeleton
2014-01-28, 07:58 PM
For my current 4e campaign, set in a homebrew setting cooked up by me and my group, the main BBEG's are the Horsemen of the Apocalypse. Now, rather than taking the actual, biblical origin/titles for the riders, I went for something based more on the pop culture that has come to define the modern perception of them. Therefore, Pestilence has replaced Conquest. (The four Horsemen are: Death, Famine, Pestilence, and War).

In addition, the general idea (Without any real detail) is that they are all immensely powerful Demons, only somewhat below a Demon Prince in terms of power level. I'm still not set on exactly how intelligent I want them to be, as I am still deciding on whether I want them to be primal representations of their respective concept, or just a champion of that aspect of destruction. Either one could be interesting, in my opinion, but maybe someone has a preferred interpretation?

I've written up some scaled down "Aspects" of Pestilence and Famine for Paragon tier, but I'd love to see what more talented people can do with these concepts. Building high-level Epic tier monsters isn't something I've attempted yet, so looking at a few made by others would very educational. If anyone's interested in this kind of thing, please post a cool build/statblock for one or all of the horsemen! Hopefully, this'll give me some cool concepts to cannibalize for my own campaign. Might even inspire some other people, if anyone else out there is interested in having the Horsemn of the Apocalypse running around their campaign world. :smallcool:

Tvtyrant
2014-01-28, 09:15 PM
For Death I would make it work in a way that is somewhat outside the normal rules. Aura 20 that prevents using healing surges, and instead of dealing normal damage it does 1d6 healing surges on a standard action hit (death at 0 surges.) Minor action prone in a burst and immediate action push 10 when struck by melee.