PDA

View Full Version : D&D/Pathfinder Gridiron

BG
2014-01-28, 08:20 PM
Alright, the Superbowl is coming up, so I figured asking "What if you played American Football in D&D?"

Yes, I know Blood Bowl exists, but D&D has way more options.

Now, I recognize actually doing this would be way too complicated, but it's still fun to think about it. Which class works best for what position, for example? Do you want the Fighter QB who can take a hit and has the feats for throwing? Is it worth it to have a Rogue who can use sleight of hand and bluff to run trick plays? Probably a lot of barbarians, given the extra speed boost.

In my head, I arbitrarily decided to keep it E6, so not quite in the superhuman realm. Likewise, this allows more exotic entrants from the Monster Manual, so long as their ECL is 6 or less. You can just get a Centaur, for example, who would make a pretty good RB or LB, although a 6th level Monk is going to be just as fast (and in PF they'd be able to use a Ki point to go even faster).

Most of my thinking also has rules like "only creatures with an intelligence of at least 6", and "no burrow or fly speeds", although that adds an interesting wrinkle to the game. A 6th level druid could wildshape into a badger and burrow the ball down the field, so how do you defend against that? How about wizard punters buffing themselves (the opposing coach calls a timeout to "ice" the field goal kicker, knowing that he'll have to waste one casting of true strike).

What would you use if you wanted to build the best receiver? How about if you could go all the way to 20th level?

Mostly I just hope there's someone else out there dumb enough to think about this kind of stuff.

Magatsu Izanagi
2014-01-28, 08:50 PM
As far as PF stuff goes, I'm thinking alchemist for the QB. Most archetypes get Throw Anything for free, mutagens would obviously be useful, and think of what you can do with Sleight of Hand and a good bomb.

BG
2014-01-28, 08:58 PM
That cornerback thinks he's intercepting the ball, but it's actually an acid bomb.

Callin
2014-01-28, 09:13 PM
Lvl 4 swordsage 1 Savage Progression Savage Vampire 1 Marshal for a Rusher/Defenseive Position.

Shadowjaunt to bypass the Offensive Line and Tackle the QB. Or Shadowjaunt to block a field goal or pass or ect ect.

dysprosium
2014-01-29, 10:45 AM
For years I have been trying to get a d20 style American football game put together. I did one for baseball years ago and my PCs had to join a game against a deity in order to gain him as an ally.

But football has so many more different mechanics within itself--a lot more moving parts as it were. I haven't had the time really to put it all together.

Then I could get more of my PCs to have to play a game . . .

BG
2014-01-30, 03:24 PM
Yeah, I imagine that a lot of defense would be holding actions. A lot of contested rolls. QB rolls to pass, that helps set the target for the receiver to make the catch, etc.

I don't think it can quite work. Or if it would, it would involve a LOT of dice.

Still, dwarves would get a +4 against getting tackled.

Zharradan Marr
2014-01-30, 03:41 PM
The running back is a Level 3 Wizard. Invisibility. Good luck tackling him. Won't make for a very spectacular game though.

Haldir
2014-01-30, 04:05 PM
If you allow Wizard, Cleric, or Druid then let them fill all the positions.

If not, then I think we may have actually found a use for the Monk. Fast Movement, jacked up touch AC, and Tumble, pretty sure no one would be able to tackle him.

BG
2014-02-02, 07:56 PM
That was part of making this an E6 game. Spells can do a lot, but you're really not going to have too many. A wizard RB could be useful, but they'll have invisibility for maybe 6 minutes of a 60 minute game.

AnonymousPepper
2014-02-02, 08:13 PM
Gully Dwarf (Dragonlance) barb fullback, without any question. Resistance to getting tackled as a dwarf, move speed buff as a barb, and gets a dex bonus as well for being a gully dwarf which is nice for the touch AC; would have gone with a STR-enhancing dorf race but they all have dex penalties, while Gully Dwarf only loses mental.