PDA

View Full Version : Forsaker

GutterFace
2014-01-28, 10:58 PM
So im running a small, short game in a very low magic world.
we have a Warblade, WF Barbarian, Scout, and Fighter/Forsaker.

current campaign level is 3

the PC's raided a small cave and after emptying it out they scrounged what they could and the Forsaker got a Greatclub. it's actually +1. since no one in the group can tell its magic. he decided to use it as he wanted a good 2h weapon.

now i don't want to ruin his character and revoke his use of the Prc.... and it does say in the entry he can't willing know its a magic item. since he has no idea....how would you guys go about working around this?

Averis Vol
2014-01-29, 04:56 AM
So im running a small, short game in a very low magic world.
we have a Warblade, WF Barbarian, Scout, and Fighter/Forsaker.

current campaign level is 3

the PC's raided a small cave and after emptying it out they scrounged what they could and the Forsaker got a Greatclub. it's actually +1. since no one in the group can tell its magic. he decided to use it as he wanted a good 2h weapon.

now i don't want to ruin his character and revoke his use of the Prc.... and it does say in the entry he can't willing know its a magic item. since he has no idea....how would you guys go about working around this?

I like telling my players that they get a recogniseable tingle when they touch something magical, it's one of the side effects of being an adventurer. But if they had never before had a magical item, I doubt they would know the feeling.

For your PC, yea, if it says he would never willingly use it he will be absolutely mortified when he finds out, he might even break it in a broken trust induced rage :smallbiggrin:

for now, just don't tell him. During combat just keep a note that says, "X character has +1 to damage." he might catch on when he can hit ghosts and break DR his allies can't, but it will be fun to watch either way.

hope this helps.

GutterFace
2014-01-29, 08:15 AM
I like telling my players that they get a recogniseable tingle when they touch something magical, it's one of the side effects of being an adventurer. But if they had never before had a magical item, I doubt they would know the feeling.

For your PC, yea, if it says he would never willingly use it he will be absolutely mortified when he finds out, he might even break it in a broken trust induced rage :smallbiggrin:

for now, just don't tell him. During combat just keep a note that says, "X character has +1 to damage." he might catch on when he can hit ghosts and break DR his allies can't, but it will be fun to watch either way.

hope this helps.

ah goo points. the tingle is a good indicator. thank you. yes i had to include some magic items for him to break for his DR bonuses lol. im just hoping he learns quickly.

Amphetryon
2014-01-29, 09:05 AM

Just to clarify, you like giving everyone in your campaigns Detect Magic at Touch range?

Zombulian
2014-01-29, 09:25 AM
Just to clarify, you like giving everyone in your campaigns Detect Magic at Touch range?

Probably more similar to picking up a +1 weapon and going "You know there's something about this weapon. It feels right." How else are you gonna have them benefit from the +1?

lytokk
2014-01-29, 10:01 AM
I think a good indicator that the greatclub was magic would be the fact that its at minimum, masterwork, which always begs a question, who makes a masterwork greatclub? a simple appraise check could take care of that.

Granted, this is more of an RP thing, but in my mind it makes sense.

Roga
2014-01-29, 10:08 AM

I don't think a touch based yes/no is that crazy for items with enhancement bonuses. It's not the same as detect magic which could, in theory, determine arcane vs divine, caster level, and/or school of magic.

If a player picked up a +1 flaming shortsword I'd describe it as "A masterfully crafted blade with solid balance and a strange warmth to the touch despite the cold stone it was resting on." That seems perfectly descriptive, and give him some indication it's magical. I'd give him the +1 enhancement bonus, but not the flaming part until he either identified it, or I felt it would be suitable dramatic in the middle of a fight.

"As your new blade explores the tender flesh of the assassin's arm, it erupts into flame, searing the wound and wreathing the blade, and your hand, in an arcane flame. The party can hear the faint hint of a dragon's roar over the human's scream, and you hear draconic whispers in your ear. You don't understand them entirely, but one word stands out. 'Trekis' (Draconic for Breath)"

I don't think it's overpowered to add some flavor to the game to iron over some of the rigidities of the rules. :D

NotScaryBats
2014-01-29, 10:13 AM
There's a rule on the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm) that I have never ever seen anyone use:

"Light Generation

Fully 30% of magic weapons shed light equivalent to a light spell (bright light in a 20-foot radius, shadowy light in a 40-foot radius). These glowing weapons are quite obviously magical. Such a weapon can’t be concealed when drawn, nor can its light be shut off. Some of the specific weapons detailed below always or never glow, as defined in their descriptions."

So, maybe next time, whip that rule out and see how they react to the glowing sword/club/axe.

GutterFace
2014-01-29, 10:19 AM
There's a rule on the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm) that I have never ever seen anyone use:

"Light Generation

Fully 30% of magic weapons shed light equivalent to a light spell (bright light in a 20-foot radius, shadowy light in a 40-foot radius). These glowing weapons are quite obviously magical. Such a weapon can’t be concealed when drawn, nor can its light be shut off. Some of the specific weapons detailed below always or never glow, as defined in their descriptions."

So, maybe next time, whip that rule out and see how they react to the glowing sword/club/axe.

THIS is an excellent plan. a faint glow. perfect ;)

Big Fau
2014-01-29, 10:41 AM
Some magic items are also self-identifying. Dragon Magic has some examples (Dweomered Dragon Scales).

Palanan
2014-01-29, 10:46 AM
Originally Posted by NotScaryBats
There's a rule on the SRD that I have never ever seen anyone use:

*Light Generation*

Yup, that one seems overlooked and completely unused by pretty much everyone. No idea why, since it's helpful in situations like this.

Originally Posted by Zombulian
Probably more similar to picking up a +1 weapon and going "You know there's something about this weapon. It feels right."

Exactly so. That feeling of not only being finely worked and perfectly balanced, but that it's somehow made just for you.

Urpriest
2014-01-29, 01:40 PM
Just curious, but why is someone playing a Forsaker in a low magic setting? It seems kind of inappropriate for a character to be that focused on magic if magic is rare.

Vhaidara
2014-01-29, 02:05 PM
Just curious, but why is someone playing a Forsaker in a low magic setting? It seems kind of inappropriate for a character to be that focused on magic if magic is rare.

Maybe it was a high magic setting until all of the forsakers showed up and broke everything :P

And now they all realize that without magic most of their power is vanishing.

Averis Vol
2014-01-29, 04:00 PM

hmmm....yea, basically. In every DnD book I've ever read, magic has a familiar tingle. Their weapons move preternaturally fast and hit with a force the wielder has never been able to manage before, with everything wrapped together I don't feel it's to bad of an idea, and it adds nice flavor. And while it technically is detect magic at a touch range, if there's a curse or something, it's too late by the time it's actually in their hand, and I like saying, "you feel the cooling pinpricks of power flow up your arm as you grab hold of X item".

Amphetryon
2014-01-29, 04:43 PM
hmmm....yea, basically. In every DnD book I've ever read, magic has a familiar tingle. Their weapons move preternaturally fast and hit with a force the wielder has never been able to manage before, with everything wrapped together I don't feel it's to bad of an idea, and it adds nice flavor. And while it technically is detect magic at a touch range, if there's a curse or something, it's too late by the time it's actually in their hand, and I like saying, "you feel the cooling pinpricks of power flow up your arm as you grab hold of X item".

So long as you and your Players are aware that this is what the rule is, and are cool with it; it's all about everyone having fun.

Palanan
2014-01-29, 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by Urpriest

This makes plenty of sense to me, and I could see how it's more likely for a Forsaker to be active in a setting where magic isn't common. The benefits wouldn't be widely known, and overwrought stories of rare destructive episodes would circulate more enthusiastically than lower-key incidents involving healing or other, tamer applications. Much more opportunity for beliefs to develop around the idea of magic as something inherently sinister.

SowZ
2014-01-29, 05:26 PM

There are people who hate magic/seek it out/warn people against magic in the real world. Whether or not the supernatural exists, we certainly don't live in a high magic setting. I think it makes perfect sense in a world with a song of ice and fire level of magic for someone to despise magic and magic users.