PDA

View Full Version : [3.X] Illithid Savant good?

Yael
2014-01-28, 11:12 PM
As the title says, is this prestige class worth the levels? I mean, no spellcasting/manifesting proggression, but what about getting those tasty class features, skill points (over your limit), that tasty bardic knowledge-like ability (lore), and bonus feats, just by flaying minds? (pun intended)

EugeneVoid
2014-01-28, 11:28 PM
Just one second. (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=illithid+savant+optimization)

Not trying to sound condescending but Illithid Savant is arguably the best class in the game. If allowed grab it, if you want to kill all your teammates, eat their brains and just be the best.

The Glyphstone
2014-01-28, 11:33 PM
It's one of the Ugly Five - the five most broken/overpowered prestige classes in the game, alongside the Planar Shepherd, Beholder Mage, Tainted Scholar, and Incantatrix. And that's even without the interpretation that it can go infinite by eating other Illithid Savants...

Yael
2014-01-28, 11:48 PM
It's one of the Ugly Five - the five most broken/overpowered prestige classes in the game, alongside the Planar Shepherd, Beholder Mage, Tainted Scholar, and Incantatrix. And that's even without the interpretation that it can go infinite by eating other Illithid Savants...

Oh, but isn's supposed that is only one class feature per three levels? Capping at 10th?

OldTrees1
2014-01-28, 11:59 PM
Oh, but isn's supposed that is only one class feature per three levels? Capping at 10th?

Nope (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ei/20030608a)

Xuldarinar
2014-01-29, 01:55 AM
Nope (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ei/20030608a)

Kill it with hellfire.

I have never seen that before and I never want to see it again… unless I am playing a mindflayer.

CIDE
2014-01-29, 02:48 AM
And that's even without the interpretation that it can go infinite by eating other Illithid Savants...

I never understood why anyone thought this was required. I have read, reread, and reread the entries for those abilities over and over and over again. It never says or even implies anywhere in the entries that you can only use those class features once or that you need to somehow accrue additional usages to somehow accrue other creature's powers/class features.

I suspect someone like Tippy said it once and no one ever bothered to double check. Probably the same nonsense that started the infinite natural weapon Warshaper nonsense.

One per creature.

Seriously, guys. Reread the class.

Oh yea to the OP: It's broken as @#%@!#@!##$@. Really one of those classes to avoid. Sure, starting out you're lacking but your power grows and grows and grows.

Rubik
2014-01-29, 03:30 AM
I used it and a few other tricks to become something powerful enough to take down anything but Pun-Pun or Ao himself.

Or the Lady of Pain.

Because she's a bamf.

squab
2014-01-29, 03:46 AM
I know who Pun-pun is, but who are the other two?

Emperor Tippy
2014-01-29, 03:49 AM

Ao is the Over-Deity in FR.

The Lady of Pain is the entity that rules Sigil and is held to pretty much be more powerful than any of the gods.

Rubik
2014-01-29, 03:51 AM
I know who Pun-pun is, but who are the other two?Ao is the overdeity (read: fully omnipotent god) of the Forgotten Realms.

The Lady of Pain is an unstatted being of unknown lineage and purpose who is rumored to be the metaphysical manifestation of the City of Sigil, which lies at the center of the multiverse in both the Planescape Campaign Setting and the general planar cartography in Core D&D. She's supposedly powerful enough to make Ao hesitate, but it's unknown as to whether she can leave her city (or if she can extend any power beyond its limits).

icefractal
2014-01-29, 03:55 AM
I never understood why anyone thought this was required. I have read, reread, and reread the entries for those abilities over and over and over again. It never says or even implies anywhere in the entries that you can only use those class features once or that you need to somehow accrue additional usages to somehow accrue other creature's powers/class features.

I suspect someone like Tippy said it once and no one ever bothered to double check. Probably the same nonsense that started the infinite natural weapon Warshaper nonsense.The wording is ambiguous. I suspect people go with that interpretation because it makes it merely extremely overpowered, as opposed to instant-NI territory.

3WhiteFox3
2014-01-29, 03:58 AM

Ao is the overdeity of the forgotten realms and one of the most powerful beings in D&D. IIRC he's omnipotent and omniscient without any known limits to his power.

The Lady of Pain is the master of Sigil in the Planescape setting. She's a serious contender for being equal in Ao's known power with the ability to boss around pretty much anybody (the last deity to try and mess with her was utterly destroyed and his priesthood put into her signature Mazes). She's pretty much the embodiement of DM fiat (but in a good way).