PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Building Mythic Guan Yu

Gabe the Bard
2014-01-29, 12:24 AM
I'm playing a 6th level barbarian right now that's on the verge of becoming mythic, and his personality is loosely based on Guan Yu. So I'm trying to come up with a build that can stand up to a mythic duel and also fight hordes and armies. Anyway, if you had to build Guan Yu as a mythic pathfinder character that's highly playable at ever level up to 20, how would you go about doing it? Fighter, Barbarian, Cavalier? Champion, Guardian, or Dual Path?

My build thus far if you're curious:

Human Barbarian 6, Invulnerable Rager Archetype

Feats and Rage Powers:
1 Combat Reflexes, Toughness
2 Reckless Abandon
3 Power Attack
4 Elemental Rage, Lesser
5 Raging Vitality
6 Strength Surge

Note: The character wields a flaming glaive with 10 ft reach.

And my idea for the progression:

Tier 1 - Champion Path with Fleet Charge, Mythic Combat Reflexes (for infinite attacks of opportunity), and Display of Strength (for synergy with Strength Surge when knocking down some castle walls).

Successive tiers would include Mythic Power Attack, Impossible Speed, Mythic Rage, and Precision two or three times. Not sure about the other mythic feats. Maybe Mythic Toughness for even more HP, or Dual Path to get Guardian Path abilities that improve attack of opportunity.

For nonmythic feats and rage powers, I'm trying to decide between going for (A) cleave, great cleave, and maybe the beast totem line for pounce, or (B) an intimidate build based on dreadful carnage and terrifying howl. The former seems more practical, but the latter just seems more awesome. I could go for both, but I would have to choose which line to progress first.

Creeping Doom
2014-02-07, 12:00 AM
I'd personally build him as such up to 6th level. Not too familiar with Mythic rules so I'll keep him non-mythic for now but this could be a good base to build off of.

Human Fighter (Polearm Master) 6.

Feats:
Weapon Focus Glaive (1st)
Power Attack (Human)
Furious Focus (Fighter 1)
Cleave (Fighter 2)
Cleaving Finish (3rd)
Weapon Specialization Glaive (Fighter 4)
Great Cleave (5th)
Lunge (Fighter 6th)

With this configuration of feats you really get the whole sweeping attack style that Guan Yu is known for. Lunge really makes Great Cleave more viable as a feat because it gives you a threatened area of 10 feet 5 feet out from yourself meaning there will be more enemies adjacent to each other, with 10 feet of threatened area foes behind one another can still be hit with Great Cleave since you can hit further away. If any enemy gets up close you can still Lunge and use Pole fighting (2nd level archetype ability) to hit them and still target adjacent enemies 10 feet away. With your massive reach you wont have any trouble landing your Cleaving Finish either since your weapons reach is so far. You're most likely making more than the two attacks you'd have if you used a full-attack action by using Great Cleave with this reach and you make all your attacks at your full attack bonus thanks to Great Cleave and no penalty from Power Attack thanks to Furious Focus.

I'd pick up either Improved Cleaving Finish or Cornugon Smash next. Improved Cleaving Finishing means you can potentially make a ton of extra attacks if you keep dropping guys, and Cornugon Smash really epitomizes the fearsomeness of the God of War.

I've made such a character in my groups Serpent's Skull campaign. We play fairly strong characters, stat array of 18, 16, 14, 12, 10, 8, so with my current gear and stats my Guan Yu has a +15/+8 to hit while power attacking and deals 1d10+19 per hit with just a +1 Glaive. He reaches out 15 feet and threatens the last 10 feet of that reach when using Lunge, I get tons of attacks with Great Cleave and Cleaving finish when we fight lots of monsters at once, he's not as effective during fights with a solo monster but can still hold his own.

Bigbeefie
2014-02-07, 12:08 AM
Allow me to Explain this about Mythic...

VITAL STRIKE...TAKE IT, LOVE IT, WIN WITH IT!!!!

It doesn't even matter about anything else....Look at mythic Vital strike....Add a bunch of static Bonuses and go to town eviscerating everything you come across.