PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Sanctified Vampire & Inescapable Craving

HaikenEdge
2014-01-29, 01:10 AM
How exactly does a Sanctified vampire, which loses all its non-extraordinary abilities, satisfy its inescapable craving for life force (as mentioned on page 9 of Libris Mortis), given it can no longer hand out negative levels, since its Energy Drain ability is an (Su) ability?

Does the vampire suddenly no longer have inescapable cravings? Or does the cravings just eventually drive the vampire insane?

OldTrees1
2014-01-29, 01:21 AM
Which is a better story/play experience?

HaikenEdge
2014-01-29, 01:23 AM
Which is a better story/play experience?

Wasn't exactly the answer I was looking for. I'm curious as to what the RAW implications are first, and the better play experience second.

OldTrees1
2014-01-29, 01:31 AM
Wasn't exactly the answer I was looking for. I'm curious as to what the RAW implications are first, and the better play experience second.

RAW:
They buy a weapon that inflicts negative levels
or they treat their craving with restoration (just as they treat their blood donor)
or they never fail their DC 25 will save (because ToB, Diamond Mind and Concentration)
or they fail their DC 25 will save infrequently enough that they heal the Wis damage naturally
or they go insane

(Un)Inspired
2014-01-29, 01:33 AM
Drink unlimited blood out of a spell component pouch.

Edit: with a straw

Edit 2: to avoid the bat poo

OldTrees1
2014-01-29, 01:35 AM

Talking about Life Force (Energy Drain)[Inescapable Craving] not Blood[Diet Dependant].

Silva Stormrage
2014-01-29, 01:36 AM
They need to gain another source of energy drain that gives them temporary hit points (As thats the type where the creature is syphoning energy from the creature instead of the energy just weakening a creature)

One way, Magic Jar into a creature such as a wight and use that ability to steal energy. It should still satisfy the craving.

Second option, polymorph + assume supernatural ability would work.

Third option, go insane?

:smalltongue:

Erik Vale
2014-01-29, 01:36 AM

Edit 2: to avoid the bat poo

Is it wrong of me that I'm proud for pointing out the first part?

Doesn't work though you need to drain the blood of a creature with a con score... So drink the blood of one of the many live spiders in the component pouch :smallbiggrin:.
Which I also pointed out

(Un)Inspired
2014-01-29, 02:21 AM
Talking about Life Force (Energy Drain)[Inescapable Craving] not Blood[Diet Dependant].

Derp! My bad

Red Fel
2014-01-29, 09:28 AM
Obviously, they ascend their dharmic path, achieve vampiric enlightenment, and no longer require the energy of living things; they can subsist on the ambient life-force present in all things, simply by engaging in peaceful meditation.

What? What do you mean this isn't Kindred of the East?

HaikenEdge
2014-01-29, 09:36 AM
Obviously, they ascend their dharmic path, achieve vampiric enlightenment, and no longer require the energy of living things; they can subsist on the ambient life-force present in all things, simply by engaging in peaceful meditation.

What? What do you mean this isn't Kindred of the East?

By RAW, vampires don't need the negative levels the way they need blood (inescapable craving vs diet dependency), even though I get the reference and applaud you for it.

Regarding restoration, mentioned earlier, are we sure that's no a positive energy spell?

OldTrees1
2014-01-29, 09:53 AM
By RAW, vampires don't need the negative levels the way they need blood (inescapable craving vs diet dependency), even though I get the reference and applaud you for it.

Regarding restoration, mentioned earlier, are we sure that's no a positive energy spell?

Lesser Restoration is Conjuration (Healing) however it does not have the "Since undead are powered by negative energy, this spell deals damage to them instead of curing their wounds." clause. So it should still heal 1d4 temporary ability damage per 2nd level slot (0gp per use).

Restoration and Greater Restoration also lack that clause but a vampire should never need their benefits.

Demonikus Aber
2014-01-30, 09:39 AM
By RAW a vampire does not have a blood(insatiable Craving) if it cannot feed on blood through its supernatural ability. In the Libris Mortis, in the back in monster section, there is a half vampire template that states they have the inescapable craving blood, only if they take the ability to drain blood. This applies to vampires as well as this craving is linked to that supernatural ability.

HaikenEdge
2014-01-30, 09:41 AM
By RAW a vampire does not have a blood(insatiable Craving) if it cannot feed on blood through its supernatural ability. In the Libris Mortis, in the back in monster section, there is a half vampire template that states they have the inescapable craving blood, only if they take the ability to drain blood. This applies to vampires as well as this craving is linked to that supernatural ability.

Can you clarify on this?

Table lists a vampire as having Inescapable Craving: Life Force, and Diet Dependent: Blood.