PDA

View Full Version : Prestige Class Question

squab
2014-01-29, 03:30 AM
So, few things first.

1 Although I've been playing a few years, I'm just starting to walk. Just like babies I guess - spend a few years coddling them, they learn to crawl, and eventually can walk on their own to feet. Although I don't need diaper changing - aaaaaaand I've taken the metaphor way too far.

2 Although I have a friend who has lots of books and experience, all I have going for me is Core Rulebook and Advanced Player's Guide for pathfinder.

So... Why do prestige classes only go up to lvl 10?

And is Dragon Disciple (from core) any good?

eggynack
2014-01-29, 07:00 AM
For the first question, because they fundamentally can't be your only class. You need to fulfill prerequisites to enter a prestige class, so it needs to be a later part of your build, and having 20 levels would thus be pointless. Also, cause that's just how they are. There's technically a couple of prestige classes that go beyond ten, like moonspeaker from races of eberron (12 levels), and prestige bards, paladins, and rangers (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/prestigiousCharacterClasses.htm) (15 levels), but that's not all that important.

As for dragon disciple, no it is not. It just doesn't really do anything, and you need to fit awkward casting levels into your build and then you don't really do anything with them. For a core only melee character, you should look into the horizon tripper (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80415), which is just about the only competent melee build within those parameters.

KillianHawkeye
2014-01-29, 07:07 AM
I'm not sure about Pathfinder, but in D&D 3.5 the prestige classes are not always 10 levels long. While the vast majority of prestige classes are either 5 or 10 levels, there are some with as few as 3 or as many as 13-14 (and a few other odd numbers in between).

What you will never see is a prestige class that is a full 20 levels long. The reason for that is the same in Pathfinder as it is in D&D: because all prestige classes require levels in one or more other classes before they can be taken, and all of them (aside from Epic level prestige classes) are designed to be completable within a 20 level character build.

As for Dragon Disciple, I'm no expert, but I heard that the Pathfinder version is at least better than the lackluster D&D 3.5 version.

togapika
2014-01-29, 12:20 PM
Mainly the reason a prestige class is less levels in total than a base class, is that a base class is meant to be based on a general concept while a prestige class is meant to be a more specific idea.

Arcane Spellcaster vs. Nightmare Illusion Guy
Fighter or Rogue Vs. Light armored Duelist
Dicine Cleric Vs. Super Healer of Pelor
etc.