PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 with PF skill system

jpreem
2014-01-29, 04:32 AM
HI,
I do like the pathfinders skill systems simplicity and the fact that tehy have consolidated the skill list. (As a matter of fact I ususally house rule open lock+disable device into same skill etc. in my own DD 3.5 games).
I have gotten more accustomed with 3.5 and have several splatbooks etc. So I would generally like to stay playing with 3.5 material without full conversion.
What would happen by just taking over the PF skill section (skill list, the trained/untrained difference system).
Are there any hidden catches to know?

Extra info.
I have been away from GM for some time and now a set of complete beginners would like me to Gm them some more "classical" hack and slash roleplaying.
I have been torn to choose DD 3.5 or Pathfinder for this task - and came to conclusion that the main attraction of Pathfinder was the skill system (otherwise the changes are kind of just cosmetical ... sometimes making game balance even worse) - though the skill system I would like because of the simplicity/ease of play thing - no more half ranks, etc.

Jeff the Green
2014-01-29, 04:39 AM
You need to tweak feat and PrC prerequisites. Generally just reducing them by 3 will be fine. And you will either need to keep Concentration or change all the things that work off of it (like Diamond Mind) to a different skill.

Averis Vol
2014-01-29, 04:45 AM
I use the pathfinder skill list with the 3.5 skill system for my group and I really like the compressed list. With the 3.5 list, you basically never had enough skills even for rogues, so this helps get the necessities and lets you free up some for the skills you want to take.

jpreem
2014-01-29, 04:50 AM
Hmm yes hadn't thought about the concentration. Probably use the latter approach (get rid of concentration) as in every single game every single spellcaster will anyway max it out. And the passing of concentration checks is quite often ridiculousy easy - DD 3.5 is already in kind of a place where spellcasters do not need more boons.
Just make it a caster level check or something as in PF and probably the other uses (Diamond Mind etc. wont crop up so much or Ill just say use autohypnosis or what have you for these.)

jpreem
2014-01-29, 04:59 AM
I use the pathfinder skill list with the 3.5 skill system for my group and I really like the compressed list. With the 3.5 list, you basically never had enough skills even for rogues, so this helps get the necessities and lets you free up some for the skills you want to take.

Totally - it p****-d me off big time.
Pick lock, disable device, spot,listen, move silently, hide, search, balance, tumble, climb, jump, sleight of hand -
all needed for a sneaky thievy dungeon delver rogue and woe to you if you also like to take on some social functions.
The most ridiculous for me is the Pick lock, disable device divide - yes you can manipulate complex mechanical/magical devices - unless they lock something there is :D