PDA

View Full Version : I'm looking for monsters that infect, implant others

NevinPL
2014-01-29, 05:32 AM
I want the victim to transform into something "new" (zombification is good), or to serve as an "incubator" (Ekolid from "Fiendish Codex I", Hastendeath Spider from "Dungeon" #138, Spider Eater from MM I, or Spawn of Kyuss\Kyuss worm from MM II are good examples of this).

Erik Vale
2014-01-29, 05:59 AM
Wraiths, Wrights, Vampires, Shadows, Plague Zombies. Myconids [Though their zombification is slooooww].

Anything that can pick up UMD/Spellcasting.

BWR
2014-01-29, 06:20 AM
Slaadi - blue slaadi infect people with a disease that turns them into red slaadi. Red slaadi implant eggs that hatch into blue slaadi.

The Hivebrood from the Creature Catalog kidnap creatures and slowly turn them into insectile beings slaved to the hive mind. Most amusingly, if a Controller has eaten a being with spellcasting abilities, it can confer one spell at a time to all other hivebrood within a certain distance of the controller (using up that spell for good, sadly).

NevinPL
2014-01-29, 06:24 AM
Let me clarify - infect, as in a disease, parasite, etc., not some supernatural thing like creating spawn, so no vampires, ghouls, Create (Greater) Undead spells.
Also, you can leave MM I alone - I've read it enough times.

Ossian
2014-01-29, 06:59 AM
Xenomorphs? That could give you a cool T-Rex too :)

http://www.google.de/imgres?imgurl=http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/195/5/4/xenomorph_rex_by_nebezial-d578eds.jpg&imgrefurl=http://nebezial.deviantart.com/art/xenomorph-rex-314480080&h=720&w=2000&sz=288&tbnid=NMMvC7GhC7ug0M:&tbnh=90&tbnw=250&zoom=1&usg=__7Mzo-deOmyUJ7ZakP_ZOivKX0Bw=&docid=D3HdA5YzNhxzXM&sa=X&ei=u9noUveUFISctAam0YDoDg&ved=0CEgQ9QEwAg&dur=2818

TroubleBrewing
2014-01-29, 07:29 AM
Yellow Musk Creeper.

NevinPL
2014-01-29, 04:06 PM
Only if the newborn Alien, takes after its "incubator", and IIRC, there's some discussion about that :]

StreamOfTheSky
2014-01-29, 05:54 PM
Xill (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/xill.htm) are the best example in core I can think of. Incubation time is too realistic lengthy for most situations, though.

Jack_Simth
2014-01-29, 06:07 PM
There are the Phaerimm from Lost Empires of Faerun.

Roga
2014-01-29, 06:15 PM
Kaorti (http://www.dynregion.com/dnd/books/Kaorti.pdf)(Fiend Folio) seem like they're up you're alley.

unseenmage
2014-01-29, 06:31 PM
Advanced Bestiary has the Monstrous Lycanthrope template that lets you make a were-anything.

I've been knocking around the idea (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=327909) of Were-Skeleton Wolf or even Were- Effigy Griffon.

Even weirder would be Were-Animated Object: Shapesand. :smallbiggrin:
Except that it couldn't change mid-combat. :smallfrown: (Well it could, if combat lasted tens of minutes.)

Threadnaught
2014-01-29, 08:00 PM
Let me clarify - infect, as in a disease, parasite, etc., not some supernatural thing like creating spawn, so no vampires, ghouls, Create (Greater) Undead spells.

Ghoul Fever may be Supernatural, but it's still a Disease. Classic Zombie apocalypse right there from a Ghoul, Slap the Evolved Template (Libris Mortis) onto the original at least once.
Better yet, make the original a Gravetouched Ghoul (also Libris Mortis), then slap on the Evolved Template. I recommend Greater Invisibility, or See Invisibility as it's daily SLA.

Yellow Musk Creeper from the Fiend Folio is supposed to be rather powerful. The range the infected can go is rather low though, up to 100 feet away from the plant for two months, then death in 1-4 days where they can wander wherever they want.

Brood Spawn from Elder Evils have a Breath Weapon that has a chance of infecting victims with Brood Fever, they're part of the Father Llymic plot, but they can easily be applied to some other part of a campaign.

Okay then, you have a decent number of creature choices here. Since I can't be bothered to look through the Fiend Folio again and the only Undead to infect with a Spawn making Disease are Ghouls, those are the only ones I can name. They're pretty decent for what you say you want though.
Especially Ghouls and face it, Undead are like bowties. :smallcool:

Oh btw, Xenomorphs do gain the qualities of their hosts, for D&D however they're homebrew. I've found a version of homebrew that makes it a Template (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45126), it's up to you to find others if this really interests you, the one I linked doesn't appear to do all that much.

I still think you're giving up on Ghouls far too early. Example Gravetouched Ghoul as Evolved Undead is CR8 and has a speed of 50 feet, can either turn invisible for six rounds once per day, or see invisible N/PCs for up to six rounds per day. It's Ghoul Fever has a DC of 14 because of it's extra Cha, Fast Healing 3 and +1 Natural Armour make it harder to take down, and in addition to the +2 Charisma to empower it's Disease, it gets +2 Strength, making it hit a little bit harder. Oh yeah, all Ghouls (and Ghasts) have a +1 Intelligence modifier, they're smart enough to think ahead.
A (pretty cool looking) PrC from Libris Mortis, Lurking Terror can make the more powerful Ghouls (and Ghasts) scarier. If it takes all 3 levels, it gets +3 (and +1 for HD/2) to it's Disease DC (DC17+), Darkvision improved to 90 feet and Hide in Plain Sight. Also benefits of reaching 8 and 9HD.

Thanatosia
2014-01-29, 08:23 PM
Necrotic Cysts and the related creatures & spells from Libram Mortis tend to make my skin crawl

Phelix-Mu
2014-01-29, 10:56 PM
Meenlocks cause a transformation process that is like infection, but has a unique mechanic (and some crazy dark fluff). Basically, it seems that they torture you until you turn into one of them. They are in MM2.

Dimers
2014-01-29, 11:05 PM
Dokufu, from Oriental Adventures. Very creepy. Huge stony spider-humanoid-shapeshifter that lays its eggs in its victims, then swallows them to keep the new egg sac safe while the spawn develop. It can vomit dokufu babies as a combat ability, and if you get swallowed while alive and manage to cut your way out, a bunch of spawn come with you. Has frightful presence and starts at 16HD.

(Un)Inspired
2014-01-29, 11:11 PM
Dragons. They infect you with pregnancy. No matter what you are. If you're corporeal and alive a dragon can infect you.

Phelix-Mu
2014-01-29, 11:13 PM
Dragons. They infect you with pregnancy. No matter what you are. If you're corporeal and alive a dragon can infect you.

I wonder if force dragons can....

[The rest of that thought has been censored for the general benefit of humanity.]

Palanan
2014-01-29, 11:16 PM
Originally Posted by NevinPL
I want the victim to transform into something "new"...or to serve as an "incubator"....

Check out the Vinespawn from Monster Manual V, pp. 198-199. It forces a viney tentacle down the victim's throat, implants a propagule, and the victim serves as host for a developing plant creature. Perfect for all your horrific monster-incubating needs.

CIDE
2014-01-29, 11:48 PM
IIRC one of the Thoon monsters infects and such.

NevinPL
2014-01-31, 06:07 AM
Thank you for your answers.

There are the Phaerimm from Lost Empires of Faerun.
"Lamprey with limbs" :D No. I need a "tool", not a independent monster.

...Kaorti...
No. I need a "tool", not a independent monster.

Advanced Bestiary has the Monstrous Lycanthrope template that lets you make a were-anything.

Classic Zombie apocalypse right there from a Ghoul...
Not for me. I need my "zombies" unintelligent.

Brood Spawn from Elder Evils...
Nice. I like the "not so obvious" angle, and long incubation, but it's not quite what I need.

Undead are like bowties.
?

...Xenomorphs [...] for D&D however they're homebrew.
You don't say :smallamused:

I still think you're giving up on Ghouls far too early.
I'm "not giving up", quite the opposite - I'm thinking of some good ol' "City Cementary Ghoul Infestation", but I need to make it less obvious than the standard "body snatching" variant.
Also, I love undead (no necro). But Ghoul is to obvious for what I need right now. Any not retarded adventurer knows that after a fight with a Ghoul, Otyugh, WereX\whatever, you need to go to a doctor\Cleric, who will do his funky magic of Remove Disease.

Necrotic Cysts and the related creatures & spells from Libram Mortis tend to make my skin crawl
Already have a plan to make an Necrotic Cyst trap, and to use the unaware host later (picture Magneto holding Wolverine scene) :belkar:

Meenlocks cause a transformation process that is like infection...

...three or more of them gather around to touch each helpless humanoid or monstrous humanoid.
Talk about bad touch :D
Maybe some other time.

Dokufu, from Oriental Adventures.
I need the infected poor bastard, to roam freely and maybe infect others, so no.

1. Not a person who thinks pregnancy is a disease.

Check out the Vinespawn ...
Nice. Will use in the future.

IIRC one of the Thoon monsters infects and such.
Thoon infiltrator. Nice, but not quite what I need.

aldeayeah
2014-01-31, 06:27 AM
I want the victim to transform into something "new" (zombification is good), or to serve as an "incubator" (Ekolid from "Fiendish Codex I", Hastendeath Spider from "Dungeon" #138, Spider Eater from MM I, or Spawn of Kyuss\Kyuss worm from MM II are good examples of this).

good old vargouilles, bodaks

Ansem
2014-01-31, 07:53 AM
Xill (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/xill.htm) are the best example in core I can think of. Incubation time is too realistic lengthy for most situations, though.

I vouch for Xills too,

Implant (Ex)

As a standard action, a xill can lay eggs inside a paralyzed creature. The young emerge about 90 days later, literally devouring the host from inside. A remove disease spell rids a victim of the egg, as does a DC 25 Heal check. If the check fails, the healer can try again, but each attempt (successful or not) deals 1d4 points of damage to the patient.
Can't think of any other D&D creature with an alien-like ability.

Threadnaught
2014-01-31, 08:41 AM
?

Because Bowties are cool.

1. Not a person who thinks pregnancy is a disease.

You listed Disease or Parasite as options. Some people refer to a foetus as a parasite as it draws nutrients from it's mother to feed it.

I need my "zombies" unintelligent.

Okay, you just refluff/play them as mindless zombies, or better yet... They're Diet Dependent on Flesh, use the Handling Undead Hunger Variant. If they do not feed within 3 days, they must succeed on a DC15 Will Save or take 2d4 Wisdom Damage, sure the example Gravetouched Ghoul with all three levels of Lurking Terror would have a Will Save of +12-13 (depending on Ability Point placement) and can succeed on a roll of 3-2 or higher, but regular Ghouls and Ghasts have Will Save bonuses of +5 and +6 respectively. Leaving a 45% chance of failure for Ghouls and a 40% chance for Ghasts.

To stop your Players abusing 3rd level Cleric Spells, Ghouls are CR1, Ghasts are CR3, your players are likely to be at too low a level to be able to reliably access Remove Disease, and even then. Ghoul Fever seems to be immune to the effect of Remove Disease (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/removeDisease.htm) due to an interesting clause in the Spell.

Certain special diseases may not be countered by this spell or may be countered only by a caster of a certain level or higher

Now if we take a look at what counts as a normal Disease (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#disease), Ghoul Fever is clearly not there. As DM, it's up to you to decide whether or not this has a significant effect on your players' ability to cure themselves.

The whole Xenomorph thing btw, as long as you're looking for a Template and not a Creature.

zilonox
2014-01-31, 01:31 PM
10th level Cancer Mage in disease form? He could take control of the host periodically and use his Contagion ability to spread diseases. He could even swap hosts (à la the movie Fallen), leaving the previous host still infected with any number of diseases, making the source difficult to track down.

It necessitates a rather large disparity between PC and NPC ECL though. But then the Cancer Mage never has to face the party directly if you don't want him to.

NevinPL
2014-02-01, 05:26 AM
good old vargouilles, bodaks

I vouch for Xills too...

You listed Disease or Parasite as options. Some people refer to a foetus as a parasite as it draws nutrients from it's mother to feed it.
1. Yeah, I know, and like I said - I'm not one of those people.
2. If in the future, your friend(s), or even your own spouse, will want to have kids, and despite years long attempts, costly treatments, still can not, you'll maybe understand why pregnancy, getting pregnant isn't a joke.

Okay, you just refluff/play them as mindless zombies, or better yet...
I said what I need, and why. So why are you still pushing your idea ? It's not what I need.

10th level Cancer Mage in disease form?
Cancer Mage\Vermin Lord, are in the works for something else.

Threadnaught
2014-02-01, 08:47 AM
I said what I need, and why. So why are you still pushing your idea ? It's not what I need.

As far as literally mindless zombies, there's nothing I can find in the Fiend Folio, Sandstorm, Frostburn, Eberron Campaign Setting, Libris Mortis or on the SRD that has any way of Creating Spawn, by Disease or on kill, without an Intelligence Score besides the one.

The Yellow Musk Creeper, a Mindless Plant does create victims of Animal Intelligence, however non of it's "zombies" may move any further than 100 feet from it while under it's control. If they do die, they create a new YMC, so if you're okay with a Day of the Triffids style zombie apocalypse, they're your creature.

2. If in the future, your friend(s), or even your own spouse, will want to have kids, and despite years long attempts, costly treatments, still can not, you'll maybe understand why pregnancy, getting pregnant isn't a joke.

Let's just say that, when it comes to children, I'm one of those people who are too selfish to have children. I don't mean that's the argument I use just to shut anyone up, I've never actually had to have the discussion, but for personal reasons I really don't want them. So if I found myself in a relationship with someone who wanted children, I wouldn't be married to them, or they'd know they shouldn't expect any children.
So yeah, in this scenario (where my spouse is desperate for a child), I'd either laugh in her face and/or get divorced immediately.

As for friends, well I can always smirk and ask them if they've ever considered fostering/adoption. Giving birth isn't the only way to have children and being born isn't the only way to get loving parents.
And if after successfully adopting they still want to pass on their own genes enough to begin treatment, do I not have the right to think they're selfish? If I'm selfish for not wanting children because I don't want to pass on things that I think would ruin the child's life, why is there no problem with someone who wants to bring another child into the world without a thought of the consequences?

So yeah, I honestly found the whole deal about Dragons Infecting creatures with Pregnancy rather funny.

Do I still need to show more sensitivity?

HaikenEdge
2014-02-01, 09:04 AM
I wonder if force dragons can....

[The rest of that thought has been censored for the general benefit of humanity.]

Now I understand how children are born with The Force.

Darrin
2014-02-01, 09:41 AM
Nobody mentioned Tsochar (Lords of Madness)?

Lots of fun with those.

Jeff the Green
2014-02-01, 09:48 AM
There are infectious zombies, etc. in Expedition to Castle Ravenloft.

Also, while it technically doesn't fit, Mockery Bugs (MMV) are close. They devour people and then produce nearly mindless copies. When those copies are disturbed, their head, attached to a centipede-like thing, jumps out of their body to attack. (Seriously, check it out. It's disturbingly awesome, and awesomely disturbing.) They could also easily be refluffed to infect their victims.

Dimers
2014-02-01, 09:52 AM
Homebrew it. You know what you want to exist, so make it exist. *shrug*

Don't feel up to it yourself? Head over to the Homebrew forum, post once, get a couple dozen replies.

Freddrick
2014-02-01, 01:32 PM
You might want to take a look at the Etoli from the d20 modern Menace Manual.

They are mechanical elementals capable of infecting creatures and turning them into their slaves.

Roga
2014-02-01, 02:37 PM
It sounds a bit like you want the victims to walk around normal like, unknowingly furthering an agenda, until the time comes that facade breaks down and suddenly they're not who they once were.
I'm trying to understand your statement here:

No. I need a "tool", not a independent monster.
So you dislike the infections/implants that create spawn? Can you elaborate on this?

NevinPL
2014-02-02, 07:53 AM
As far as literally mindless zombies...
And why do you obsess on undead so much ? From the 4 monster I've listed as good examples, only one is undead. I know they're "cool as bow ties", but if they don't do what I need, their "coolness factor" is irrelevant, because they don't do what I need. Is that so hard to understand ?

So yeah, in this scenario (where my spouse is desperate for a child), I'd either laugh in her face and/or get divorced immediately.

As for friends, well I can always smirk and ask them if they've ever considered fostering/adoption.

...not wanting children because I don't want to pass on things that I think would ruin the child's life...
{{scrubbed}}

...why is there no problem with someone who wants to bring another child into the world without a thought of the consequences?
I think you're confusing me with someone else, or this forum, with some other forum.

Do I still need to show more sensitivity?
{{scrubbed}}

Nobody mentioned Tsochar (Lords of Madness)?

Lots of fun with those.
Nice indeed, but the kind of infestation I'm looking for.

There are infectious zombies, etc. in Expedition to Castle Ravenloft.
Will look. Thank you.

Also, while it technically doesn't fit, Mockery Bugs (MMV) are close
Nice indeed, but not the kind of infestation I'm looking for.

Homebrew it. You know what you want to exist, so make it exist.
I don't feel the urge to "reinvent the wheel", and I don't know all the books for DnD. Also, Hastendeath Spider, which is exactly what I'm looking for, I've found by accident. That's why I've turned for help to "you".
As for homebrew, I already have zombification one - modified Grave-Tainted well from Dragon #350, so if I had to, I will cook something up.

You might want to take a look at the Etoli from the d20 modern Menace Manual.
Nice indeed, I like the self-destruction bit of Sand Slave very much. Thank you.
And it's: Etoile :)

It sounds a bit like you want the victims to walk around normal like, unknowingly furthering an agenda, until the time comes that facade breaks down and suddenly they're not who they once were.
Yes.
Or they don't "transform", just drop dead, like the Hastendeath Spider victims.

So you dislike the infections/implants that create spawn?
Not quite. I don't like the obvious ones.

Can you elaborate on this?
You've elaborated yourself:

...you want the victims to walk around normal like, unknowingly furthering an agenda, until the time comes that facade breaks down and suddenly they're not who they once were.

Threadnaught
2014-02-02, 08:52 PM
And why do you obsess on undead so much ?

Favourite creature Type. Don't you have one?

Due to them being my favoured creature Type, my players literally have more fear when they encounter a Ghast than a Black/Blue/Brass/Bronze/Copper/Green Wyrmling, or a Very Young White Dragon. Because a Ghast is Undead, while the Dragons are Dragons.
"Flight and a Breath Weapon, ooh scary." - My Players.

Undead are just naturally challenging the way I use them. I challenge my players with Undead instinctively, instead of attempting to outsmart them in character as I do with other Types. I outsmarted them the moment I chose to introduce Undead to the campaign.
Planning encounters is also easier when they involve Undead.

I don't forego all other Types, but my players remember Undead far more than anything short of a Deity.

If you so "enlightened", "caring", and don't want to pass misery, why are you taking pleasure from someones else's ?

I didn't say I was either, but okay, I'll answer anyway.

So let's assume my spouse would know that me getting her or any other woman pregnant would be the worst possible thing I can think of to do to a child and to it's mother. And she does develop the desire for children of her own sometime into the marriage. And she pushes for them, she makes it an important part of the relationship. Either I give her children or it means I don't love her, I guess she'd no longer love me. Any suffering she'd go through would be her own doing by not getting out of the relationship once the subject of children had been brought up.
Laughing in her face would be cruel, that's a little something called exaggeration. Though I'd probably laugh thinking she were joking.
The divorce, if she wants children more than a relationship with me, then what is the point of keeping her tied to me? What is the point of having her effectively become a single mother when she could have a more supportive family to help her?
And it's hurtful, the idea that the woman who'd claim to love me would, while knowing why I don't want children. Suddenly demand that I take the risk for me, any children we could conceive and their mother, just so she can satisfy herself by experiencing childbirth.

What is wrong with adoption?

No seriously, there are so many amazing parents who are infertile, who adopted and have given the adopted children, a happy and loving home. You seem to despise the idea, you're not one of those people who makes fun of people for being adopted are you?

There are plenty of children without parents, or parents who care about them, or are capable of giving them the home they need. I'm pretty sure my friends could make wonderful parents for any child, regardless of who's blood they have.

I think you're confusing me with someone else, or this forum, with some other forum.

Nope, you have no problem with the hypothetical people who would be willing to spend a large amount of money to conceive their own child while ignoring their adopted child's existence as proof of their parenting abilities.
You do have a problem with the ******* friend who'd suggest adoption as a way to raise a child without expensive treatment.

For bonus points, let's say my friends argue that, only by conceiving can they raise a child to call their own.

So why am I the villain in this story? Please, explain.

I don't really care, it's your life. I'm just sick, and tired of this: "pregnancy is evil", "pregnancy is parasitic infestation", "I have no time for kids" bullfeces.

1: Pregnancy is the worst thing I can think to do to a child (the foetus), is not saying it's evil. It makes women more hormonal than usual, makes them fat-ter than they were before and at the end they have a pooping noisemaker, but I never said pregnancy is evil. The majority of people who have little desire of getting themselves/someone pregnant, don't use the pregnancy is evil argument. They just list off negatives as something they wish to avoid.
Only people incapable of commitment actually think it's evil. Because it is a serious commitment and they fear/hate commitment.

2: It is similar to a parasitic infection in so many ways due to the symbiotic relationship with the mother. It's amazing how similar humanity is to every other life form in the world in one way or another. I understand humans like to be in groups with other humans and that lone humans should be wary of groups of humans. Unless of course, it is their own group. Gosh, isn't there this thing with a load of monkeys throwing faeces at each other? I think it's called politics. :smallamused:

3: Anyone who says this, is either referring to their own non-existent children, or hates children in general.
Personally I have plenty of time for children, just not my own. Never my own. Never.

Because in the end, many of those who yell the loudest, bend over backwards to get pregnant it their mid 30's, or later. Not to mention some "full retards", that go to Ukraine for postmenopausal IVF, etc., because they're 60-ish, and their getting pregnant ability is long gone.

If they didn't give any serious thought to the concept of offspring, I have little sympathy for them.
I have spent long and hard thinking of ways to prepare myself for fatherhood, the longer I thought about it, the worse the results become.
Picture this, you have OCD and you know two things about children.
1: They emulate/copy the behaviour of adults and older children.
2: They inherit characteristics from their parents, you've heard that your disorder may or may not be hereditary.

But as a man, you can afford that position - men are fertile their whole life.

Men can be infertile. If they choose to forego having children of their own, there's a simple procedure called a Vasectomy they can go through to prevent anything happening.

As someone who doesn't want a possibly hereditary or learned behavioural disorder from driving any of my children to suicide, I can't afford not to take this position.

So yeah, it's something I take very seriously.

Manly Man
2014-02-03, 03:43 AM

I have a few, actually (Undead, Dragons, and Outsiders). Aberrations are pretty high up there, but that's mostly because of my love of mind flayers in particular.

Speaking of whom, the vanilla mind flayer may actually fit the bill. Ceremorphosis takes about a week, during which the host loses one point in all of their mental ability scores. If any of them are brought to zero in less than a week, the victim dies, and the transformation begins immediately. Otherwise, they have to wait a week before the brain is completely replaced by the tadpole, at which point the physical changes begin to accrue.

Draconi Redfir
2014-02-03, 03:52 AM

http://www.google.de/imgres?imgurl=http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/195/5/4/xenomorph_rex_by_nebezial-d578eds.jpg&imgrefurl=http://nebezial.deviantart.com/art/xenomorph-rex-314480080&h=720&w=2000&sz=288&tbnid=NMMvC7GhC7ug0M:&tbnh=90&tbnw=250&zoom=1&usg=__7Mzo-deOmyUJ7ZakP_ZOivKX0Bw=&docid=D3HdA5YzNhxzXM&sa=X&ei=u9noUveUFISctAam0YDoDg&ved=0CEgQ9QEwAg&dur=2818

:smalleek: and i thought THIS (http://imgur.com/bbG2HFF) little guy was the true face of terror!

NevinPL
2014-02-04, 06:09 AM
lol, I received a warning, and disputed it, so I guess this could be my last post here.

That's nice, but this isn't:
"Undead Appreciation Thread", "What's your favorite creature type ?", so if you don't have anything on topic to add, could you stop, "move along", etc. ?

As for the pregnancy bits, my moderated opinion got me a warning, so I guess that was it.

Speaking of whom, the vanilla mind flayer may actually fit the bill.
No it doesn't, and it's to obvious.

Threadnaught
2014-02-04, 12:52 PM
That's nice, but this isn't:
"Undead Appreciation Thread", "What's your favorite creature type ?", so if you don't have anything on topic to add, could you stop, "move along", etc. ?

I did offer the suggestion of Broodspawn and repeated another user's suggestion for Yellow Musk Creeper, which I saw after posting. As well as one (of many) way to use the one I know how best to use.

Beyond those creatures, the only others that infest or infect other creatures, are the ones who kill their victim before the transformation/immediately transform their victim.
There are Symbionts from the Fiend Folio, but I'm never sure what they actually do.

Though I feel you don't want me posting here at all. Regardless of what I manage to dig up.

NevinPL
2014-02-05, 05:36 AM
I did offer the suggestion of Broodspawn...

Thank you for your answers.
[...]

Brood Spawn from Elder Evils...
Nice. I like the "not so obvious" angle, and long incubation, but it's not quite what I need.
?

...and repeated another user's suggestion for Yellow Musk Creeper...
My bad, let me fix it now:

As well as one (of many) way to use the one I know how best to use.
But they weren't what I needed, were they ?

Beyond those creatures, the only others that infest or infect other creatures, are the ones who kill their victim before the transformation/immediately transform their victim.
In that case - EOT.

Though I feel you don't want me posting here at all. Regardless of what I manage to dig up.
I don't want anyone posting creatures that I don't need, that don't meet my "requirements".
Why is that so strange ?

rmnimoc
2014-02-05, 05:48 AM
I'm not sure if this fits what you are looking for, but I've recently fallen back in love with Hellwasp Swarms. They like to crawl inside dead/helpless foes. If said foe is dead, they animate it in a manner similar to a zombie. If they are still alive, they manipulate it's movements and treat the person as though under the effects of dominate person. They have a hivemind and an int of 6, so there is that. They can also choose to do 2d4 damage per hour they are in the body, and can leave as a full round action. It surprises people to no end to be talking to their friend Bob, and then Bob dies right in front of them and then A FRIGHT OF HELLWASPS!!!!!!!!
I feel it has the whole "incubation" feel without actually having to worry about incubation. Plus, given the way many bees reproduce, it very well could qualify as legit incubation.
And a group of hellwasps is legitimately called a fright, and a larger group is called a terror.

Edit: My bad missed that part.

NevinPL
2014-02-05, 06:08 AM
... Hellwasp Swarms.

Lorem Ipsum, etc., because forum requires message that is not a quote.

Threadnaught
2014-02-05, 09:16 AM
I don't want anyone posting creatures that I don't need, that don't meet my "requirements".
Why is that so strange ?

You start this thread asking for monsters that infect/infest other creatures.
Then you ask for creatures that don't create Spawn like Vampires and Wights. Yes you include Ghouls in that comment, but you also mention you want a Disease or Parasite, which Ghouls infect by.
Then you say that you want mindless zombies once Ghouls are pout forward as something that you pointlessly denied.
Then you say you don't want any Undead at all.
Then you say that you don't want an infected/infested individual to know they're infected/infested, or to turn into anything. As they're "too obvious."

If you don't want people posting monsters that don't meet your increasingly specific needs and you keep moving the goalposts like this, the only person who you'll feel comfortable posting here is yourself.

?

Not actually obsessing over Undead. Just have a suggestion on a possible playstyle, unlike Broodspawn and Symbionts, whom I have no idea how to play as of yet. Here's how you shot down Ghouls.

Ghoul is to obvious for what I need right now. Any not retarded adventurer knows that after a fight with a Ghoul, Otyugh, WereX\whatever, you need to go to a doctor\Cleric, who will do his funky magic of Remove Disease.

Lemme just be as equally as insulting as you for a minute and...

Any DM of sufficient intelligence and experience* knows that minion/spawn creation abilities are more affective at killing PCs, when they're used primarily on NPCs.

*Okay, maybe not quite as insulting as you.

If the PCs only know what they're dealing with when they're already into the third or fourth generation of the infection, they're going to have to divide whatever place they're in into sections and cleanse them of Ghouls one by one before using Remove Disease (or whatever works) on everyone there, let's assume a Metropolis, that's upwards of 25000 people, let's assume 30000 people total?
To make it super easy, we split it into 16 quarantined sectors. Okay, so on average that leaves 1875 people per sector, now either there's a specific safe zone set up, or the PCs have to (with a little help) clear out the entire sector of Ghouls and make sure every citizen receives treatment within a day. Twice.
If there is a safe zone, let's call it one of those 16 sectors with all citizens evacuated pending inspection. So the PCs help to clear out the safe zone from Ghouls which doesn't take all too long as the Ghouls are being starved, unlike the ones in other parts of the city. Unsafe zones, the other 15 sectors, have on average 2000 citizens. With the safe zone, it becomes a little easier making sure each and every citizen let in is free from the disease.
It also makes it a little easier to reclaim the entire city. By securing the headquarters for the defence force first, they can focus on each individual sector one at a time until the plague is stopped. Oh hey, this isn't something anything lower than Tier 2 should be able to stop on their own and it's a CR1 creature. Funny that.
Wow, that is far more complicated than "kill Ghoul, go to Cleric and get cured."

But they weren't what I needed, were they ?

No, but you did mention you needed something that the specific playstyle would help toward giving.

If the Yellow Musk Creeper is indeed, the kind of infestation you're looking for, why do you look as if you were going to describe something that you should have put in your first post?

Is that better?

Let's take a look at the original goal of this thread, and how far we've strayed away from the original goal.

You want your victims to transform into something new, except you don't and you want them to be incubators for parasites, but you don't want them to know about it and want them to be mindless.

Clearly you don't need or want our help in finding creatures with these abilities.

Meth In a Mine
2014-02-05, 01:24 PM
Mockery Monarchs, from MM V. They swallow you and then crap you out, but your face is replaced with a huge centipede-like monster that mimics your face, but when it feels threatened it bursts out of your head and attacks. The critters are nasty too (CR 16 on the monarchs and CR 9 on the litle bugs).

Hope this helps!

NevinPL
2014-02-06, 03:58 AM
@Threadnaught - can't, won't comment. One observation though:

But Ghoul is to obvious for what I need right now. Any not retarded adventurer knows that after a fight with a Ghoul, Otyugh, WereX\whatever, you need to go to a doctor\Cleric, who will do his funky magic of Remove Disease.

Lemme just be as equally as insulting as you for a minute and...

Any DM of sufficient intelligence and experience* knows that minion/spawn creation abilities are more affective at killing PCs, when they're used primarily on NPCs.

*Okay, maybe not quite as insulting as you.
Adventurer is a game\in-game concept, thing. So saying an adventurer is a retard, isn't saying the player that plays that adventurer\character is a retard. It's like saying Richard B. Riddick is a retard. That doesn't mean Vin Diesel is a retard. It means that character Vin Diesel playing is a retard.

Mockery Monarchs, from MM V.

Also, while it technically doesn't fit, Mockery Bugs (MMV) are close.

Meth In a Mine
2014-02-06, 11:10 PM
Gah. Sorry man. How'd I miss that? :smallconfused: