PDA

View Full Version : Simple class

Rama_Lei
2007-01-25, 09:40 PM
My friend is starting D&D and I want to give her a simple class tog et the hang of first. What do you guys think is an easy class to understand and play?

Yuki Akuma
2007-01-25, 09:43 PM
Barbarian is probably the easiest class to understand.

shaka gl
2007-01-25, 10:00 PM
Fighter or Barbarian. Just tell her to grab her stick and hit something.

PS: Flavour-wise, women tend to like Druids. Dont know why, though.

Raum
2007-01-25, 10:02 PM
Are you looking for something easy to build, play, or understand? And what level are you starting at? It's generally easier to learn a class by starting at level one.

As Yuki points out, Barbarian probably fits all three. Monks are fairly easy to build (few choices), Warblades are a bit harder to build but still easy to understand and play.

I'd avoid casting classes, particularly if you aren't starting from level one.

CuthroatMcGee
2007-01-25, 10:13 PM
I would say fighter, though I personally favor clerics and I think they're fairly easy to learn to use. I agree with shaka_gl, though. Girls prefer druids and rogues, is what I've noticed.

cupkeyk
2007-01-25, 10:13 PM
Generally, the most numerable questions a starting player has is "Why can't I do that?" Rogue limits that question quite fairly.

Barb is nice and easy but opens great options when he has gotten used to it.

Fax Celestis
2007-01-25, 10:17 PM
Monk and Barbarian are really easy to play. Fighter's a good choice too, but it has got a really hard learning curve. Paladin and Crusader are solid choices too.

Kantolin
2007-01-25, 10:38 PM
If you go spellcaster, Sorceror isn't too hard to learn either (Especially if you help them pick their spells, or simply pick them for her... For someone's first time playing D&D, that's a very reasonable option).

CockroachTeaParty
2007-01-25, 10:41 PM
Hmm... Actually, Dragon Shaman from PHB II is pretty easy to grasp. Warlock is sort of like 'magic for dummies,' in that they can do it as much as they wish, without too much thought involved.
Warmage is pretty straight-forward too. Just blow things up.
Hmm...
Sorcerers are actually pretty easy to use too, once you explain the basics of magic to them.

For some reason, whenever I get new players, they want to be rangers. I have no idea why... Probably from LotR movies.

Also, I get a lot of new folks that want to be a sword swinger and spell slinger... and Duskblade does that nice and easy.

Hario
2007-01-25, 11:28 PM
No the easiest base class is 'Commoner' you don't need to worry about anything really.

oriong
2007-01-25, 11:34 PM
Actually, as a commoner you have to worry about everything. Even your pet cat.

Hario
2007-01-25, 11:39 PM
Actually, as a commoner you have to worry about everything. Even your pet cat. I was reffering as to overly complicated physics in the game like ya know 'class abilities'

JaronK
2007-01-25, 11:47 PM
Honestly, I wouldn't go for simplicity. Ask her the following:

Assuming you were living in a fantasy world, and were a fantasy character, and a man who looked threatening jumped out in front of you with a sword out, ready to attack, what would you do?

A) Pull your own sword and cut him in half
B) Use your innate magical power to charm him and make him drop his sword
C) Vanish suddenly
D) Use the divine power of your god to smite the infidel
E) Summon the spirits of nature to protect you
F) Use your vast knowledge of arcane powers to blast him into oblivion
G) Some other option (state your choice)

This will give a decent idea of what she wants to be. You can then go from there.

JaronK

Jack Zander
2007-01-25, 11:59 PM
Honestly, I wouldn't go for simplicity. Ask her the following:

Assuming you were living in a fantasy world, and were a fantasy character, and a man who looked threatening jumped out in front of you with a sword out, ready to attack, what would you do?

A) Pull your own sword and cut him in half
B) Use your innate magical power to charm him and make him drop his sword
C) Vanish suddenly
D) Use the divine power of your god to smite the infidel
E) Summon the spirits of nature to protect you
F) Use your vast knowledge of arcane powers to blast him into oblivion
G) Some other option (state your choice)

This will give a decent idea of what she wants to be. You can then go from there.

JaronK

That's freaking sweet. I get new people all the time in my group and the most trouble I have is helping them pick a class. Something like this helps greatly.