PDA

View Full Version : Phone apps for DMs

MammonAzrael
2014-01-29, 01:06 PM
Does anyone have any recommendations for quality phone apps to help DMs manage characters, NPCs, encounters, and the like. Specifically, Windows phone apps.

Alternatively, what programs do you like to use, if you bring a laptop or something similar?

Diarmuid
2014-01-29, 01:40 PM
I find microsoft Word and Excel to be the best DM tool I use.

I generally use Word for writing up statblocks, or simply copy/pasting statblocks from the SRD. Excel is great for tracking Initiative, HP, etc with simple columns and a few simple formulas for adding/subtracting/etc.

I woudlnt even bother trying to do any of that on a phone simply due to the size of the screen and the input methods.

With my laptop open I can have tabs for the SRD, dndtools.eu, and I can tile in the statblock document as well as any "boxed text" I may have written down.

ElenionAncalima
2014-01-29, 01:51 PM
I use my laptop and I have two documents open.

One is an excel document, in which I keep quick reference notes about the PCs, my initiative trackers and any custom NPCs. I also have some random names for people and places, if I need an impromptu NPC or settlement.

The other is the mac equivalent of OneNote, called NoteBook. I use that to keep track of the rest of my campaign notes. OneNote (which usually comes with Microsoft Office) is an even better program than NoteBook. I would use it in a heartbeat if it was Mac compatable.

Darkz0r
2014-01-29, 04:02 PM
I use excel for NPC sheets, mainly these: http://www.stanford.edu/~rchilton/DnD/

I also use a spellbook app for android in which I add to favorites the most commonly used spell.

Also looking for a good software to make things easier but havent found it.

For maps, campaign cartographer 3 but its too glitchy even with a uber PC, trying fractal mapper atm.