PDA

View Full Version : Help with a sudden change of character plans

LockePhilote
2014-01-29, 03:31 PM
So, my character in a 3.5 campaign was tk'd while fighting a dragon. Our warlock fired off a brimstone blast at the dragon and got a natural 1 on his spell resistance check. My DM is a creative bastard, so rather than having it fizzle out it hit the dragon (he had already rolled to hit and made it) and bounced off. 1 d percentile roll later, and my character took 53 damage, instantly killing him and setting him aflame. His rather massive stash of lantern oil then exploded, burning everything but his weapons into a cinder.

I was brought back using a reincarnate spell, as raise dead would not work on my ashes and we did not have the cash for a true revive spell. We rolled for race and, because my DM is also a cruel bastard, gender. I know have a female Halfling on my hands that I have no idea what to do with.

We do more role playing than power gaming, so my current build is Bard 4/ Ranger 6 (including the level lost from being revived). I went two weapon fighting route with my favored enemy being undead. However, her weapons are now too large to use, and the - 2 to strength is making melee fighting look like a rather bad idea unless I dual wield cutlasses and go weapon finesse, as my strength is now 10 and my dex is now 16.

Besides that, what are my options? We have no dedicated archers or throwers, so that would not be a bad idea, except I have all the wrong feats for it. If any one can help me figure out a way to be semi competent until my next feat, they will have my thanks.

KorbeltheReader
2014-01-29, 03:39 PM
If you're dual wielding, -2 STR is only a -1 to hit, -1 to damage with your main hand, and -.5 damage with your off hand. Hardly a deal breaker unless I'm missing something else.

Nirhael
2014-01-29, 03:40 PM
Just grab a set of Strongarm Bracers and you're mostly fine.

LockePhilote
2014-01-29, 04:01 PM
True. It is not that big of a detriment. My other issue is favored class. Am I considered a Halfling for favored class purposes now, or am I still a human? I might consider going Weapon Finesse anyway, as we are fighting golems and other things with high ac soon.

My other issue was speed, but since I am going to Swftblade as my PrC, that should work itself out.

Haldir
2014-01-29, 04:11 PM
Take Dragonfire Inspiration to use your Bardic Inspire Courage to instead grant 1D6 damage dice to all allies, for each point of Inspire Courage you would have had.

Use TWF and take advantage of the Halflings bonus to thrown weapons, which means you take only a -1 for TWF. Retrain Bard spells to get Dex boosts, and unload huge amounts of thrown weapons for big damage. Continue progressing bard from here.

LockePhilote
2014-01-29, 04:29 PM
I like that idea, Haldir. What thrown weapon do you suggest? I was thinking throwing axes, as it seems they might work with Snowflake Wardance? They count as thrown slashing melee weapons, and all the war dance requires is a slashing one handed melee weapon. Of course, I am probably wrong, though imagining her dancing through combat, throwing axes left and right is rather awesome.