PDA

View Full Version : Intelligent Item

jester8706
2014-01-29, 04:23 PM
Is there any way to get rid an intelligent item? I'm stuck with one in my current campaign. When I go to cast a spell I either make a Will save or I end up cutting myself. I know my DM added it as a plot device, but come on! it's getting frustrating trying help the party when my character get's compelled to slice his wrist open, or stab himself if he rolls a bad save.

All I've found in any book is for DMs on how to make one. There's nothing that says how you can break it's hold on you to get rid of it, or even destroy it.
PLEASE HELP!

Duke of Urrel
2014-01-29, 04:45 PM
"Remove curse (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/removeCurse.htm) instantaneously removes all curses on an object or a creature. Remove curse does not remove the curse from a cursed shield, weapon, or suit of armor, although the spell typically enables the creature afflicted with any such cursed item to remove and get rid of it."

That's the standard way to get rid of a standard cursed item. If this doesn't work for you, it's because your intelligent magic item is an artifact or a custom-made item that is exempt from the usual rule.

Ydaer Ca Noit
2014-01-29, 04:47 PM
Drop it in a dumpster :smallwink: If it is cursed then also remove curse before that.

jester8706
2014-01-29, 05:53 PM
It has the symbol of Shar on the hilt, and belonged to a blood witch (I can't remember her name). I asked an old wizard, "What does it do?" when I first found it. He said, "Nothing for you, but she know's exactly what she's doing" while pointing at the dagger. I'm not sure if he meant Shar or the dagger, and he wouldn't elaborate.

When it compels my character to cut himself, it fires two measly magic missiles out of my head at the nearest enemy. Well, that's what it did when I was a lvl 2. I've been able to avoid cutting myself since then. It apparently gives me terrible nightmares while asleep as well (according to the note passed by the DM). I've been waking up with a new white streak in my hair every day.

I don't know if it's intelligent or cursed weapon. I'll prepare remove curse and try that the next time we play.

Ydaer Ca Noit
2014-01-29, 06:20 PM
Tell the rest of the party what your DM secretly told you.:smallsmile: They will probably hate to have you murder them in their sleep because you are under the control of the item, so they should help you too.