View Full Version : Remove Fatigue Usage

Zetapup
2014-01-29, 05:32 PM
Remove Fatigue is a 4th level cleric spell from the Book of Exalted Deeds. Its main effect is that "the creatures you touch gain the benefit of 8 hours of restful sleep". It also has a little blurb saying that arcane spellcasters still have to rest 8 hours in order to prepare their spells, so as to prevent cheese.

However, I can think of one divine spellcaster that requires rest in order to prepare spells: the archivist (the cleric doesn't work for this because they choose a specific time of day to prepare their spells-typically dawn or dusk). Would casting this spell on an archivist allow them to cut down their spell preparation time to just an hour of studying their prayerbook?

I'd personally allow this usage, as it's ten minutes to cast a 4th level spell, and then an hour to study their prayerbook. It seems like a reasonable trade: time for spells more specialized to whatever situation you find yourself in. The biggest potential problem I can see is an archivist casting the spell on themselves and then studying their prayerbook for an hour to regain spells, then nova-ing every spell except one Remove Fatigue. Rinse and repeat.

Please let me know if I'm overlooking anything!

Solophoenix
2014-01-29, 05:51 PM
Spells cast within the last 8 hours count against your spells per day when preparing spells?

Zetapup
2014-01-29, 06:20 PM
Spells cast within the last 8 hours count against your spells per day when preparing spells?

Well, that would render my hypothetical usage of the spell pointless. Do you mind giving a source for that?

I suppose it'd still be handy for sieges and whatnot, but not to the same extent.

Solophoenix
2014-01-29, 06:22 PM
Here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/divineSpells.htm#divineRecentCastingLimit) you go.

Zetapup
2014-01-29, 06:31 PM
Here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/divineSpells.htm#divineRecentCastingLimit) you go.

Ah, thank you. That limits any potential cheese quite nicely.