PDA

View Full Version : Druid Feat Help!

DaTamarin
2014-01-29, 06:24 PM
Hi all. I've been fleshing out my druid (3.5e), and have come upon numerous selection of feats i could take. I am starting at level 1, and will take natural spell at 6th, of course. I'm not worrying about 3rd level quite yet, but for first level, i am still debating between quite a few feats. Even though the summoning route could be quite powerful, i'm not playing an optimized build, and therefore i value fun more than prowess. I'm thinking of playing a close-range caster/melee with produce flame and other such spells. My DM gave me an enchanted scythe, so i am also not too sucky in the melee department. I probably will take Spell Focus (Evocation), but as for my other first level feats, i am not sure. Right now, i'm looking at Extend Spell (am i allowed it at 1st level), Combat Expertise, Precise and Point Blank shot, and Nymph's Kiss (am i allowed this one either?). Probably leaning towards Point Blank right now, but would Precise be more useful? How about combat expertise? I don't really see it doing much except for stalling. As you can see, i really have no idea which i should take, and I'm not the most learned in the ins and outs of Dnd. Thanks in advance. :smallredface::smallsmile::smallbiggrin:

The Trickster
2014-01-29, 06:27 PM
May I ask why you are taking PBS if you are going for more of a close combat character?

geekintheground
2014-01-29, 06:34 PM
Spell Focus (Evocation) probably isnt too good if youre going melee. same with precise/point blank shot. nymph's kiss is good and can indeed be taken at level 1, just remember it locks you into the "Good" alignment and kinda-sorta has a fluff requirement that is often overlooked/ignored because it isnt actually RAW (that being the relationship with a fey creature). extend spell is GREAT and can also be taken at 1st. out of all the ones youve listed, i would suggest nymph's kiss and extend spell.

eggynack
2014-01-29, 06:34 PM
Well, natural bond (CAdv, 111) is a classic for a first or third level feat, because by the time you can take it in a logical place in your build, you're 9th level and no longer care about what it does. Craft wondrous item is a reasonable option, as druid item desires are pretty specific, and things outside of a certain subset of items are rather pointless. Companion spellbond (PHB II, 77) is another reasonable animal companion focus option, and extend spell is one of the better choices for druidic metamagic, though you'd be better off with a lesser rod for that purpose. Though you mentioned being against summoning, augment summoning is a pretty good choice that doesn't reach the overpowered level of something like greenbound. That list should make for a pretty good start, and if there's a particular aspect of druid power that you'd like to emphasize (casting, summoning, wild shape, or animal companion), then more specific advice could probably be given.

Edit: As for nymph's kiss pushing you into good, that's not the biggest issue as that's probably the best alignment for a druid anyway. Because self-targeted luminous armor, and also because exalted wild shape.

DaTamarin
2014-01-29, 06:56 PM
I like Point Blank Shot because of what is does with Produce Flame, which is my primary attack. I didn't say i only wanted to do melee, and any way, this is sort of a limbo time until lvl 4 and 6, when i'll go into wild shape and wreck. Our party only has 1 main melee/tank. We have 2 rangers and a wizard to provide long range support, so i was hoping to play an intermediary role, doing a little bit of each, or playing a medium range sort of character. I know close-range caster doesn't make much sense, but i think its a cool idea. I'll take precise shot out of the running. Should i consider Combat Expertise?

DaTamarin
2014-01-29, 06:58 PM
I wouldn't mind becoming a battle-field control kinda guy either. Take entangle. call lightning, and sculpt spell, and go that route. Should i consider that as well?

geekintheground
2014-01-29, 07:35 PM
I wouldn't mind becoming a battle-field control kinda guy either. Take entangle. call lightning, and sculpt spell, and go that route. Should i consider that as well?

battle field control IS concidered by many to be the best thing a caster can do. one of the coolest things about druid is you can BFC some days then Wild Shape and wreck things on others, then do your ranged thing on others and youll never be BAD at any of them (you might be worse than a druid focused on ONE of them, but still). if you DO end up going this route, check if cityscape is available for you to use, entangle is a great spell but requires plant life to be near you but impeding stones doesnt have such a drawback.
PBS is still kinda... questionable. +1 to hit/damage isnt that much, especially when there are so many other feats you could take.

gorfnab
2014-01-29, 07:45 PM
Druid Handbook (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=940.0)
Are you planning on taking any prestige classes?

eggynack
2014-01-29, 07:49 PM
It's a perfectly reasonable route to take, but you don't really need to invest in it. It's mostly just about spell choice, though I'm not entirely sure how call lightning factors into it, though it makes for a decent kill condition. Just lay down some entangle equivalent, and have your friendly riding dog/fleshraker/miscellaneous beatstick provide inevitability. Maybe toss a summoned whatever in there for good measure. As for the plantless entangle problem, I advise attaching some plants to your animal companion, and just having your animal companion within the area of all of your entangles. He might end up stuck in your BFC, but that's about where you want him anyway, so that he can kill enemies.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-01-29, 07:58 PM
Get Natural Bond at 3rd level, and at 4th level get a 'level -3' companion. You can apply your own effects in the most beneficial order, so you'll still be able to count your full Druid level toward the companion's benefits.

Druids get some of the strongest crowd controls, considering Kelpstrand and Wall of Thorns (from Greenbound summons) and Call Avalanche.

Summoned creatures aren't for fighting, they're for special abilities. Get Greenbound Summoning at 1st level and you can summon Greenbound Dire Rats that immediately use Wall of Thorns and then spam Entangle until their duration ends. There is no minimum caster level for spell-like abilities (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#spellLikeAbilities), so a 1 HD Greenbound animal can still use a 5th level Wall of Thorns at caster level 1. It can only make a single 10-foot cube, or two 10x10x5 blocks, but that can automatically trap several creatures for ten minutes which is far longer than any combat should last. Wall of Thorns does not grant cover or concealment, so you can freely attack trapped creatures. Use reach weapons so there's little personal risk.

I'd get Greenbound Summoning at 1st, with Ashbound if you're Human, then Natural Bond at 3rd and Natural Spell at 6th. Grab the Summon Elemental reserve feat at 9th level to Nodwick traps to your heart's content. Try to pick up a Ring of the Beast and a pile of Lesser Metamagic Rods of Extend.

DaTamarin
2014-01-29, 08:21 PM
Ok. Thanks for all your help. No, i probably won't take Prestige Classes. I'll eliminate PBS from the running, and probably take Greenbound at level 1. I'll shift from an animal druid to more of a plant druid, and since i'm playing with a very lenient DM, i'll see what he can do about getting some plant wild shapes and plant:smalltongue: companions. Should i grab sculpt spell at level 3 and forego the Natural Bond path because i have a lenient DM? Does anyone know what level impeding stones comes at? How about taking Extend Spell at 3rd lvl? Thanks to all.

geekintheground
2014-01-29, 08:40 PM
both entangle and impeding stones are level 1 spells, and you automatically know all spells you have access to. you eventually get access to plant shapes (12th level) so it might be a while but i wouldnt worry about asking for it. as for sculpt spell vs natural bond, it depends on what your DM says about the plant companion. if he agrees to let you have one at full druid level: take sculpt; if he lets you have one at less than druid level: take natural bond; if he doesnt let you have the plant at all: take scuplt spell and use a riding dog companion.

eggynack
2014-01-29, 08:44 PM
I'll eliminate PBS from the running, and probably take Greenbound at level 1.
Sure, though do note that it's a bit on the crazy overpowered side. Might be a bit much if you're trying to not explode the game.

i'll see what he can do about getting some plant wild shapes and plant:smalltongue: companions.
I don't know about companions, but you can get plant forms by level seven with enhance wild shape from the spell compendium. You may want to consider a dip in holt warden for plant theming purposes, because it's a pretty good class to dip.

Should i grab sculpt spell at level 3 and forego the Natural Bond path because i have a lenient DM?
I dunno what DM leniency has to do with it, but probably not.

Does anyone know what level impeding stones comes at?
First.

How about taking Extend Spell at 3rd lvl?
It's alright, though rods are probably sufficient if you can get them.

Hurnn
2014-01-29, 08:48 PM
If you arent attached to that magic scythe Vow of Pverty isn't the worst way to go.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-01-29, 08:57 PM
If you arent attached to that magic scythe Vow of Pverty isn't the worst way to go.

Get Exalted Companion instead, recruit a Celestial version of whatever you get, and give your animal companion Vow of Poverty.

DaTamarin
2014-01-29, 09:05 PM
I probably won't use the normal charts for animal companion if i can get plants, so i won't need natural bond. Violet Fungus is a CR 3 and is appropriately suited for lowish level campaigns, so i'll see if i can't pick him up. I will try my best not to explode the game. I'll look for rods. Thanks guys.

eggynack
2014-01-29, 09:08 PM
Look no further (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/rods.htm#metamagicExtend).

DaTamarin
2014-01-30, 12:43 AM
Thanks you eggynack