PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Feedback on a Custom Prestige Class, Student of the Transfinite

Dazhbug
2014-01-29, 07:54 PM
Hello again GITP! I've been working on a custom arcane caster prestige class for a campaign I'm in (specifically for my wizard), and I wanted some feedback now that I actually have some mechanics down on paper. The idea/theme here is a Lawful Neutral caster who is slowly discovering the fundamental equations of the universe, and using it in his casting. I pulled heavily from the themes and backgrounds of the Axiomites and Inevitables who inhabit Axis (the campaign is Inner Sea based), and the "end goal" of the class is more or less the caster's integration into the axiomite community/groupmind.

Before the mechanics happen, I do want to note that I feel the PrC is on a whole somewhat over-powered, but that's based on a still rather limited knowledge base. I used both the Diabolist (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/c-d/diabolist) and the Alienist (http://www.pathfinderdb.com/character-options/prestige-classes/779-alienist) as my main points of comparison in terms of overall level of potency. The campaign as a whole is 20 levels plus 10 mythic tiers, so things are going to get Epic (or Broken, if you prefer)as is; we're already halfway to Exalted, so might as well go whole-hog.

Student of the Transfinite

Hit Die: d6

Requirements:

Alignment - Any lawful alignment

Skills - Knowledge(Arcana) 5 ranks, Knowledge(The Planes) 5 ranks, Knowledge(Engineering) 3 ranks, Spellcraft 5 ranks

Feats - Craft Construct

Special - Ability to case arcane spells, contact with a lawful outsider.

Class Skills: Appraise, Craft(Alchemy, Blacksmithing, Clockwork, Constructs), Disable Device, Knowledge(Arcana, Engineering, Nature, The Planes), Spellcraft, Use Magic Device.

Skill Ranks per Level: 4 + INT modifier

Lvl BAB Fort Ref Will Special Spells/Day
1 +0 +0 +0 +1 CitM, Dingbots, Mental Math +1 lvl of existing arcane class
2 +1 +0 +0 +1 RpdPrt, Transhuman, Sudo Command +1 lvl of existing arcane class
3 +1 +1 +1 +2 Read the Comments +1 lvl of existing arcane class
4 +2 +1 +1 +2 Lawful Damage +1 lvl of existing arcane class
5 +2 +1 +1 +3 Level Up, Matrix Management +1 lvl of existing arcane class
6 +3 +2 +2 +3 Universal Compiler +1 lvl of existing arcane class
7 +3 +2 +2 +4 +1 lvl of existing arcane class
8 +4 +2 +2 +4 Master the Vessel +1 lvl of existing arcane class
9 +4 +3 +3 +5 Augment Self +1 lvl of existing arcane class
10 +5 +3 +3 +5 Upload +1 lvl of existing arcane class

Spells - When a new Student of the Transfinite level is gained, the character gains new spells per day as if he had also gained a level in a spellcasting class he belonged to before he added the prestige class. He does not, however, gain other benefits a character of that class would have gained. If a character had more than one spellcasting class before becoming a student of the transfinite, he must decide to which class he adds each level of Student of the Transfinite for the purpose of determining spells per day.

Cog in the Machine - Reduce Craft Construct costs by one-half, rounding up where needed. In addition, the character increases the potency of the Mending and Make Whole spells: Mending now repairs 1d4 hp per caster level, maximum 5d4, while Make Whole repairs 1d8 hp per caster level, max 6d8. However, when a student of the transfinite is killed, his soul is diverted from the Boneyard into the Axis bureaucracy. Any character attempting to resurrect him must succeed at a caster level check equal to 10 + the student's level or their spell fails. That character cannot attempt to resurrect the student again until the following day, though other characters can attempt as they please.

Rapid Prototyping - When a student of the trasfinite casts an summon monster spell, he may summon a clockwork version of the creature chosen from the appropriate tables for the Summon Monster spell. For example, when casting Summon Monster V, he may summon a Clockwork dire lion. This adds the Clockwork Creature (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/clockwork-creature-cr-2) template, with the following exceptions. Summoned clockwork monsters do not require periodic winding as per the Windup Key special quality. A summoned creature to which this template is applied counts the caster as its creator for the purpose of the Created Mind special quality. Rapid Prototyping does not apply to summoned Inevitables.

Dingbots - When a new Student of the Transfinite level is gained, the character's familiar advances as if he had also gained a level in a spellcasting class he belonged to before he added the prestige class. At 5th level any familiar the alienist already possesses takes on clockwork qualities and gains the Clockwork Creature template as a result. From this point onward any familiars summoned by the alienist already posses the Clockwork Creature template.

Mental Maths - The character adds his Student of the Transfinite level on all Craft and Knowledge(Arcana, Engineering, Nature, The Planes) skill checks.

Transhuman - The character gains the ability to heal themselves with the Mending, Make Whole, and Rapid Repair spells. He also gains Mending as a SLA (limit 1/day + 1 per 2 levels in SotT). This uses the increase as described in Cog in the Machine, and can also be used to damage any creature with the Chaotic type. At 6th level, the SLA uses Make Whole instead of Mending (also with the increased die as described in CitM).

Sudo Command - The character gains the ability to summon Inevitables, and enjoys a better report with the machines of Axis. He gains a +2 bonus on all Charisma checks made when interacting with inevitables and other Outsider typed constructs. This bonus increases to +4 at 4th level and to +6 at 7th level. Add Zelekhuts to the Summon Monster 7 table, Kolyaruts to the Summon Monster 8 table, and Maruts to the Summon Monster 9 table. Additionally, the student can override the core processes of inevitables, allowing them to modify its mission parameters.

Read the Comments - At 3rd and 7th levels, the student may choose any metamagic fear as a bonus feat.

Lawful Damage - The student's attacks and damage spells gain the Lawful descriptor for the purposes of overcoming damage reduction.

Level Up - Any inevitables or constructs summoned by the student gain +4 to strength and HP as if they were a size category larger. Additionally, at level 8 all summoned constructs gain Darkvision(60ft.), SR, and Smite Chaos as per the Resolute (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/resolute-cr-0-or-1) template.

Matrix Management - The student's soul is no longer tied up in Axis bureaucracy upon death, can can be resurrected as normal.

Universal Compiler - The student gains truespeech, and can speak with any creature that has a language, as though using a tongues spell (caster level equal to student's character level). This ability is always active.

Master the Vessel - The student gains blindsight (60ft.), DR 5/-, and regeneration 5(chaos).

Augment Self - AN: I really wanted something here that allowed the character to augment/modify themselves, as per the Modify Construct rules, but have yet to come up with something suitable.

Upload - The student's mind flies free of their body, and he becomes fully axiomatic, becoming an Outsider with a Lawful subtype. He gains Darkvision with a range of 60 ft. (or 120 ft. if he already possessed darkvision), DR 10/chaotic, immunity to disease, electricity, and mind-affecting spells, Resist 10 Cold and Fire, SR 20, and true seeing as a SLA (3/day). He also gains Crystalline Dust form as per a typical Axiomite (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/outsiders/axiomite).

---

Advice very much appreciated. Over and beyond levels of brokeness, I feel like too many of the abilities are too high in the class, and could be shifted towards later levels. I'm also trying to figure out how to add in some downsides, similar to the Alienist's phobia or the general "insanity" flavor of the movie Pi (http://youtu.be/jo18VIoR2xU).

Quiddle
2014-01-29, 08:14 PM
You sure this doesn't belong in homebrew?

Dazhbug
2014-01-29, 08:29 PM
Oops, you are of course completely right. Let me move this over there.

Apologies!

Edit: Thread moved (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16893156#post16893156). Moderators can feel free to delete this one, or just let it get slowly buried.