PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Sub-Thread: Encounter In The Forest

Ridry
2014-01-29, 09:21 PM
((Alright Darkon, get yourself into a bit of trouble and then we'll chime in!))

Lord_Darkon
2014-01-29, 11:28 PM
It was one of those day that seems exactly like the one before. She woke up at the sound of a fox eating it lunch, a poor rabbit that wasn't fast enough to flee. The sky was cover in dark clouds, no doubt it's gonna rain later.

She rolled her bedroll and put it in her bag, took two bites on her yerterday rosted deer and climb down her wooden platform in her tree. Today will be another one of hunting then eating, just enough so she gets to eat and return before the rain began to fall. After an hour of tracking she finally found her target, a boar eating grass. She took aim and was about to fire when she heard a language she knew too well; Undercommon.

Leaving the boar to itselft, she walked away and slowly approaching what was a group of 3 drows, probably hunting the same she was doing. Her blood began to boil and a blinding hate cover her whole reasoning. They didn't saw her and she would take advantage of that. She positionned herself about 60 feet from the group and take aim. She was trying to hold her breath but she could hear her heart beating up in her head. With a lot of will she finally calmed herself and let the arrow fly. She hit the lastest one directly in the back of the head. To her surprise, the arrow divert at the last moment to plant itself in a nearby brushes.

The second surprise was a blown to her head. In her hatred she completely forgot to watch her back and the surrounding. Another group of Drow took her by surprise, "what a shame!" she tought as she was losing counsiousness. Once again her hatred for Drow would bring her another round of bad luck.

The two Drow pack joined together, tying Freyja and bringing her with them.

Hawkflight
2014-01-29, 11:42 PM
It was to the half-drow's good fortune, then, that a specific pair of travelers were traveling through the forest that day. The first was a young paladin, but the second (and more important in the latter's opinion) was a small, black house cat. However, this being was not an ordinary house cat, he was in fact Thomas Silverkin, a Warlock trapped in the body of a common cat.

He was also the traveling companion for the paladin, and for now he was their scout, scouting ahead whenever they sensed danger might be afoot. And afoot it was, in the form of a small party of drow. Thomas looked down from his branch, espying the figure of a young drow tied up in their midst. Silently, he leaped down and approached the group, his eyes almost seeming to glow with malice.

No, I'm not initiating combat yet. I'm just debuffing them with my Aura of Menace before reporting back to Ridry.

Ridry
2014-01-30, 09:12 AM
Ridry was feeling particularly impatient this morning, and was wondering what was keeping his traveling companion. This trip through the forest was taking at least twice as long as he expected and he was tired of having to lay his bedroll down on the seemingly endless sea of wet grass. "How did the rain even get through the canopy of tall trees above them?" he wondered. But it was always damp here, and the storm clouds ahead made him realize his fortune today wasn't going to be any better than the last.

"Where is that damned..." Cat. The word was on the tip of his tongue but he didn't say it this time. "Where has Thomas wandered off to this time?" he corrected himself.

Fondness isn't exactly the word he'd use to describe the way their relationship had changed in the last few weeks since Thomas had saved him from that wight, but he'd been making a concerted effort to treat the warlock with more respect. Starting by using his name. He hadn't quite stifled all of the cat jokes yet, but considering the stares he gets when people see a Paladin talking to a cat he figured Thomas deserved some of those.

Still, he could hardly deny the warlock had his uses. Like scouting. Nobody ever bothered with a cat. And if they did... well, apparently dark magic had it's uses too... as loathe as he was to admit that. In any case, breakfast was over and Ridry decided to go see what was keeping him. He arose, packed up his things and loaded them on his mount, Ginger. He lightly brushed her mane and she whinnied at him. He gave her a treat, a pat and hopped on.

Ridry gave the reins a quick shake and the horse made an unpleasant snorting sound. "I know girl, I'm tired of the forest too. Just a few more days now." He said it confidently for her sake, but he was starting to think Thomas was right, they were lost.

Crestfallen
2014-01-31, 04:38 PM
The drow finished tying up their newly captured, slung her over one of their shoulders, mumbled a bit to eachother in a language you didnt understand, and began walking, hoods up.

One of the drow stopped dead in his tracks, the other four bumping into him, dropping the half-drow.

The other drow started yelling at the drow leading, and they all stopped, paused and stared.

A cat... And most definitely no ordinary cat... there was something malicious about this feline... it struck fear into their hearts, and drow are no pushovers.

Two of them from the back stepped forward, these ones not nearly as effected as the others, and they draw their swords.

"Get out of the way Feline, Don't you have mice to chase or something?"

Hawkflight
2014-01-31, 04:54 PM
Thomas stared at the drow for a moment, before turning around and slinking back into the bush. If the drow looked closely, he might seem to disappear right before their eyes. But no, that had to be a trick of the light, the accursed sun messing with their perception ... right?

----

Thomas apparated next to Ridry, a serious look in his eyes.

"There's a party of drow nearby," he said. "A few minutes' travel north of here. They appear to have a hostage."

Ridry
2014-01-31, 04:56 PM
Outwardly Ridry was sworn to defend innocents. A bunch of Drow holding a hostage sounded like a good way to uphold that. Inwardly Ridry was sick of this forest and relishing the thought of beating the crap out of something to work out his frustration.

Ridry tapped the back of his saddle and addressed Thomas. "Let's go take a look. Hop on."

Hawkflight
2014-01-31, 05:11 PM
Outwardly Ridry was sworn to defend innocents. A bunch of Drow holding a hostage sounded like a good way to uphold that. Inwardly Ridry was sick of this forest and relishing the thought of beating the crap out of something to work out his frustration.

Ridry tapped the back of his saddle and addressed Thomas. "Let's go take a look. Hop on."

Thomas teleported up onto the horse's back, because why walk anywhere when you can teleport?

Ridry
2014-01-31, 05:58 PM
They raced North to a place where they could watch the Drow below them on a small hill. Ridry used detect evil. The Drow were definitely no good. Still, being evil wasn't worth a death sentence automatically. "Wait here" he whispered. He knew Thomas would hate this part, that was half the fun of it. He hopped off Ginger and picked up his flail. Then he addressed his targets. "Good day to you travellers. Might I have a word?"

Crestfallen
2014-02-01, 10:53 AM
The five of them gasp, and whisper a few words under their breath in a language you do not understand.

What is it? Make it quick, we have business to attend to.

They did not lower their hoods, nor raise their heads up enough for you to catch a glimpse of their skin.

Ridry
2014-02-01, 11:25 AM
"I wish to inquire if you'd mind if I took your um... friend off your hands..."

Crestfallen
2014-02-01, 11:56 AM
Good sir, we caught her hunting our Kin, and that will not go unpunished. Our leader will see to it that the be properly... Taken... Care of.

The man steps back a bit.

Now, If you'll excuse us, We have business to attend to.

Hawkflight
2014-02-01, 06:05 PM
If the drow were to look down, they might catch a glimpse of the cat who had spooked them earlier, sitting in front of a bush and gazing at them unblinkingly.

Crestfallen
2014-02-01, 07:11 PM
As the Drow steps back, his glance hits the cat. He begins shouting to the other group of men in what you'd assume by now to be his native tongue, the others nod their heads, and begin drawing their weapons, Two with bows, Two with two daggers each, and one with two scimitars.

"You, Paladin scum, Who is this cat to you? Answer now or suffer the consequences!"

Two of the drow in the back whip out a couple of bows, and draw them back, pointed right at the paladin, The other two keep their daggers at their sides, hands on them, ready to make their move.

Ridry
2014-02-02, 08:08 PM
"Are you really afraid of a simple housecat? I'd have expected Drow to made of sterner stuff...." Ridry chuckled.

Hawkflight
2014-02-02, 09:23 PM
((Readying an action to use the Holy Word invocation to shatter the lead drow's scimitars the second he moves to attack.))

Crestfallen
2014-02-02, 10:32 PM
How DARE YOU! That cat is no normal beast! I've had quite enough of your nonsense.

The drow turns to spit, and swiftly begins to charge, trying to catch the paladin off guard as both of his scimitars shatter in his hands, shards falling to the ground.

Wha.. Th.. This is no paladin sorcery, SHOW YOURSELF YOU BASTARD!

The Drow all begin scanning the area with their eyes rapidly, trying to find the source of the nonsense, paying no attention to the cat which quite clearly is the cause.

Ridry
2014-02-02, 11:12 PM
Ridry gave one last shot at Diplomacy. If it failed he'd have to take care of the Drow the hard way. Although that thought was appealing and the Drow probably deserved it, he didn't have great cause yet. Although if things continued like this with Thomas it was going to become inevitable.

"My good fellows, it is quite clear my God did not wish you to harm me. That is all that has happened here. Allow us to discuss this like reasonable people. I don't wish to fight you, and it seems your friend here has committed a grave crime. It just so happens that I have use of a guide in this forest and you seem quite busy. Perhaps I can give you a bit of change to purchase a, shall we say... less flimsy scimitar and in exchange you'll give her to me? I assure you I will not let him go until I ensure this pastime is past her. Do we have a deal?"

Crestfallen
2014-02-02, 11:31 PM
He pauses for a long while, glaring intently at you, and looks back as his comrades, who whisper in their native tongue, they nod a bit, and he glances back at you.

If you speak of this, I will ensure your head stands on my new blades.

Toss me a petty hundred gold and she's all yours to do with as you will, She's been more trouble than she's worth.

The Drow's in the back carry her over to you and toss her onto the floor, chuckling a bit and walking back behind their leader once more.

Ridry
2014-02-02, 11:57 PM
Ridry smiles a twisted smile, wondering if this peaceful development will annoy Thomas. He never can figure that warlock out. "The drow will probably take that for menace though" he thinks. "All the better I'm sure".

"I thank you kindly for all of your help." Ridry bows to them and tosses the gold over.

Hawkflight
2014-02-03, 02:07 PM
"....That gold is coming out of your share," Thomas said as the drow retreated, mimicing the paladin's words from when Tom broke the chain so long ago.

Ridry
2014-02-03, 02:15 PM
Ridry smiled a genuine smile at Thomas. Loathe as he was to admit it when having Thomas around wasn't an annoyance, he might just be growing fond of his partner's sense of humor.

"Maybe today is the day that things start looking up" he thought as he examined their new companion. It'd been a tough journey these last few weeks as he and Thomas had been on this trek to Greyhawk. And now they had another adventurer in tow.

Ridry addressed Thomas. "So, how do you think she's going to take the news that she's our prisoner? I did after all give my word not to let her go until she's stopped hunting Drow... and you know how a Paladin gets about that sort of thing."

Ridry pondered for a moment. "At least we can say with certainty that her fate has improved significantly in the last few minutes."

Hawkflight
2014-02-03, 06:58 PM
Ridry smiled a genuine smile at Thomas. Loathe as he was to admit it when having Thomas around wasn't an annoyance, he might just be growing fond of his partner's sense of humor.

"Maybe today is the day that things start looking up" he thought as he examined their new companion. It'd been a tough journey these last few weeks as he and Thomas had been on this trek to Greyhawk. And now they had another adventurer in tow.

Ridry addressed Thomas. "So, how do you think she's going to take the news that she's our prisoner? I did after all give my word not to let her go until she's stopped hunting Drow... and you know how a Paladin gets about that sort of thing."

Ridry pondered for a moment. "At least we can say with certainty that her fate has improved significantly in the last few minutes."

Thomas looked at the drow for a long moment, running the events over in his mind.

"Hey, Rid," said Thomas. "When you used your 'detect evil' witchcraft, what did you see?"

Ridry
2014-02-03, 07:27 PM
"Our "friend" here is the only one that isn't evil... Yet, I really felt the Drow were telling the truth about her hunting them unprovoked. And as much as cleansing evil sounds like a good plan to me on most days, hunting sentient beings unprovoked with no questions asked isn't exactly my idea of a good idea..."

Ridry paused and then continued "Any thoughts on how to wake her?"

Hawkflight
2014-02-03, 09:32 PM
"Our "friend" here is the only one that isn't evil... Yet, I really felt the Drow were telling the truth about her hunting them unprovoked. And as much as cleansing evil sounds like a good plan to me on most days, hunting sentient beings unprovoked with no questions asked isn't exactly my idea of a good idea..."

"You don't say," Thomas said wryly. Then he sighed. "Think. Use your brain. They never said it was unprovoked, just that she was 'hunting his kin'. Just because he was telling the truth doesn't mean he was being honest. Trust me, I consorted with demons for four years, I know this stuff."

Ridry paused and then continued "Any thoughts on how to wake her?"

"Yes." Thomas stepped towards the unconscious drow, walking right up to her ear. Then, with a deep breath, he said, "WAKE UP!"

Ridry
2014-02-03, 09:38 PM
Ridry sees her start to stir. "Well I suppose there is one way to find out what she was doing..."

Lord_Darkon
2014-02-04, 10:34 AM
Somehow, while being in the vast darkness of uncounsiousness she heard heard a faint voice reaching her. Unable to hear it correctly, she push her mind towards it. She knew she was almost there were all she hard was "WAKE UP!". She abruptly open her eyes and look around, believe her last hour was coming. She was surprised to see a housecat and a man clad in armor looking at her. She quickly check her surrounding and realize she was still in the forest.

"Great, they didn't kill me. But who the hell is that man? Did those bastards sold me? Or maybe even better that man killed them... I see no corpse. Only one way to find out..."
She looked at the man and asked, fearful of the answer; "Who are you and what happened to me?"

Ridry
2014-02-04, 10:40 AM
Ridry takes a deep breath and begins. "I wonder how she's going to take all this..."

"Greetings. I am a Paladin of Azor'alq from near Zeif. This is my acquaintance Thomas." Ridry gestures to the cat wondering if their new companion would think him crazy. "He is more formidable than he looks. I purchased you from the Drow because I needed a guide through the forest, and if you were hunting here I had hoped you knew your way around. But they told me you were hunting... them. Hunting implies that you did not fight them in self defense. I did not sense that he was lying... but Thomas here thinks I should give you the chance to explain yourself. So please do so."

OOC
Ya, anytime mine isn't in color it's because I'm on my phone too. I always add the color later :)

Hawkflight
2014-02-04, 11:50 AM
Somehow, while being in the vast darkness of uncounsiousness she heard heard a faint voice reaching her. Unable to hear it correctly, she push her mind towards it. She knew she was almost there were all she hard was "WAKE UP!". She abruptly open her eyes and look around, believe her last hour was coming. She was surprised to see a housecat and a man clad in armor looking at her. She quickly check her surrounding and realize she was still in the forest.

"Great, they didn't kill me. But who the hell is that man? Did those bastards sold me? Or maybe even better that man killed them... I see no corpse. Only one way to find out..." She looked at the man and asked, fearful of the answer; "who are you and what happened to me?"

OOC
sorry for the no color, posting color and bold on my phone is really hard, ill add it as soon as i get home.

"Told you," Thomas said to Ridry with a smirk.

Ridry takes a deep breath and begins. "I wonder how she's going to take all this..."

"Greetings. I am a Paladin of Azor'alq from near Zeif. This is my acquaintance Thomas." Ridry gestures to the cat wondering if their new companion would think him crazy. "He is more formidable than he looks. I purchased you from the Drow because I needed a guide through the forest, and if you were hunting here I had hoped you knew your way around. But they told me you were hunting... them. Hunting implies that you did not fight them in self defense. I did not sense that he was lying... but Thomas here thinks I should give you the chance to explain yourself. So please do so."

OOC
Ya, anytime mine isn't in color it's because I'm on my phone too. I always add the color later :)

Thomas was about to say something, but he checked himself before he wrecked himself so the drow could speak.

Ridry
2014-02-04, 12:01 PM
"Told you," Thomas said to Ridry with a smirk.

OOC
Told me what? I believe all she has said so far is "who are you and what happened to me?" I think the rest was in thought :P We don't know anything yet!!

Lord_Darkon
2014-02-04, 01:13 PM
OOC
Told me what? I believe all she has said so far is "who are you and what happened to me?" I think the rest was in thought :P We don't know anything yet!!

OOC
yeah only the last 2 phrases are apolen. Sorry cant really do bold and itallic on my cell...

Hawkflight
2014-02-04, 01:33 PM
OOC

No no, I meant that 'I told you' about 'I know how to wake her up'.

Ridry
2014-02-04, 01:36 PM
OOC:
Gotchas!! Sorry :) Thought you misread it, but it was me!

Lord_Darkon
2014-02-04, 03:14 PM

For a second she tought that the worst has passed. Surehe woundn't kill her but he's still a paladin. Paladin are one-of-a-type, the only she meet them it never really ended up that good for her. Might as well tell the truht right away.

"Yes I attacked them, i have good reasons and right now I don't intend to explain it to you."

Hopefully he's gonna let it slide...

"You mention that you PAID me? I didn't know paladin was into slavery now, I will be grateful to pay you back what I cost you and maybe more, I dont plan a life of slavery for me."

All in her wanted the paladin to let her buy herself again or free her, being a slave ir dead, the later would be best. She also realised the talking cat and stare at it, sight lost while her brains was putting pieces in places.

Ridry
2014-02-04, 03:24 PM
For a second she tought that the worst has passed. Surehe woundn't kill her but he's still a paladin. Paladin are one-of-a-type, the only she meet them it never really ended up that good for her. Might as well tell the truht right away.

"Yes I attacked them, i have good reasons and right now I don't intend to explain it to you."

Hopefully he's gonna let it slide...

"You mention that you PAID me? I didn't know paladin was into slavery now, I will be grateful to pay you back what I cost you and maybe more, I dont plan a life of slavery for me."

All in her wanted the paladin to let her buy herself again or free her, being a slave ir dead, the later would be best. She also realised the talking cat and stare at it, sight lost while her brains was putting pieces in places.

"Yes, I purchased you, but I hardly consider myself your owner. It was just more... diplomatic than offing the Drow and I thought it particularly cruel to leave you to your fate there."

Ridry paused to let that sink in for a moment. "As for the money, I'd consider it well spent if you could lead me out of this infernal forest. In that sense consider that I paid your "fines" for you and you are doing me a favor in return. If you don't know this forest then I'll consider it a poor investment and a lousy gamble."

Ridry smiled, trying to appear as friendly as possible to soften the blow of this next part. "There is one other matter though, and while I don't expect you'll like it much I must be honest. While you are not my slave, in a sense you are my prisoner. In addition to compensating the Drow for your release I also promised that I would not allow you to leave my side until I ensured your "hunting" was at an end, permanently. So perhaps while you help us out of this forest you can begin explaining what it is that the particular Drow you were hunting did to you? So that I can rest easy that my promise is fulfilled. I'm sure you are familiar with the Paladin code...."

Lord_Darkon
2014-02-05, 12:34 PM
"There you are!! Stuck with a paladin with their damn code... Nice work girl."

She looked at the paladin; "Yeah... well I hope you are patient." Changing subject right away; "I can pay you AND also let you out of the forest. I'm Freyja."

Turning to the cat; "And what in the world are you little kitty?"

Ridry
2014-02-05, 12:57 PM
"I certainly think I'm patient" Ridry thought with a glance at Thomas.

Hawkflight
2014-02-05, 06:03 PM
Turning to the cat; "And what in the world are you little kitty?"

"Better than those damned wizards, and that's all that really counts," Thomas said.

Ridry
2014-02-06, 08:45 AM
"Thomas is a warlock and..." Ridry paused for a moment "...my partner. He has many unique talents."

Ridry turned away from Thomas, that was more of a compliment than he intended to give. "As for me... I'm Ridry. And as I said before, no compensation is necessary or desired. And as for you, I'm afraid you're stuck with me for the foreseeable future. We're on our way to Greyhawk to investigate an undead uprising. If you cooperate with us you will be treated more like a party member than a prisoner. You will receive your share of anything we find. And afterwards if I do not feel my promise has been fulfilled and you wish to be released anyway, you may accompany me home and appeal your capture to my master."

"Which worked out sooo well for me last time." Ridry thought with a smirk.

"What do you say?"

Lord_Darkon
2014-02-06, 10:41 AM
"Thomas is a warlock and..." Ridry paused for a moment "...my partner. He has many unique talents."

Ridry turned away from Thomas, that was more of a compliment than he intended to give. "As for me... I'm Ridry. And as I said before, no compensation is necessary or desired. And as for you, I'm afraid you're stuck with me for the foreseeable future. We're on our way to Greyhawk to investigate an undead uprising. If you cooperate with us you will be treated more like a party member than a prisoner. You will receive your share of anything we find. And afterwards if I do not feel my promise has been fulfilled and you wish to be released anyway, you may accompany me home and appeal your capture to my master."

"Which worked out sooo well for me last time." Ridry thought with a smirk.

"What do you say?"

She was stuck to him no matter what. She was better to just accompany him and help then if he still want to bring ne to his master ditch him. She looked at both and declared;

"I will help you find your way and check the undead siuation. And there's ONE thing I want to make clear; I'm not a drow!"

She then start walking toward the edge of the forest. Half angry half happy that she was to live to see other days pass by...

Ridry
2014-02-06, 10:51 AM
"Lead the way" he muttered with a half hearted hand gesture towards the now departing figure.

"How long do you think to Greyhawk? I hope long enough for us to get to know each other..."

OOC:
I think at this point we can come close to stopping, although I'm happy if any of you have more to add, I don't think we need to go into much details about the journey to Greyhawk. I'm assuming it takes at least another two or so weeks, so that we're fairly familiar with each other by then. But I'm open to w/e thoughts you both have about it.

Hawkflight
2014-02-06, 04:46 PM
"Lead the way" he muttered with a half hearted hand gesture towards the now departing figure.

"How long do you think to Greyhawk? I hope long enough for us to get to know each other..."

OOC:
I think at this point we can come close to stopping, although I'm happy if any of you have more to add, I don't think we need to go into much details about the journey to Greyhawk. I'm assuming it takes at least another two or so weeks, so that we're fairly familiar with each other by then. But I'm open to w/e thoughts you both have about it.

"Much to far," Thomas muttered, settling back onto the horse.