PDA

View Full Version : Making Mooks

Jergmo
2014-01-29, 10:29 PM
Who doesn't need a group of expendable, faceless nobodies to harass or apprehend the adventuring heroes?

I'd like to get a compilation of feats and build ideas for the purpose of creating faceless, nameless mooks, cronies, assistants, etc., from the basics of Core to feats from various extended sources. All sources I pull from are in the Complete series or PHB2.

To start:
Toughness: I usually give 1st level warriors Toughness, in order to make them slightly more challenging than round 1 - dead! For the average 1st level warrior mook, this means 8 hp instead of 5.
Weapon Focus: To make mooks slightly better at hitting.
Dodge: A little extra AC never hurt anyone, especially someone who needs to buy the BBEG precious seconds to escape on horseback while engaging in sinister laughter.

Combat Reflexes + Vexing Flanker: A flanking mook receives a +4 bonus to attack rolls, rather than +2. Perfect for harassment with polearms or just fighting in tandem.
Also, Deft Opportunist: Requires Dex 15, Combat Reflexes. Attacks of opportunity get a +4 bonus.

(These three feats seem like they'd be good for a low-level miniboss with reach, accompanies by low-level mooks).

Shieldmate is another good feat to help keep other mooks alive, as well as Phalanx Fighting.

A good feat to toss in would be Hold The Line, to combat common charger builds, granting an attack of opportunity against charging opponents.

While it's not a feat, there's also the Quick trait, which grants +10 movement for -1 HP/level, allowing for some mooks with high maneuverability in the battlefield, possibly covering other NPC opponents who are more important or reaching the PCs quicker.

I only have a few ideas like these from the sources I have right now. Does the Playground have ideas for feats and feat combinations?