PDA

View Full Version : Red Wizard Thayan Knight

Xuldarinar
2014-01-30, 12:07 AM
A concept crossed my mind and I wanted to share it and see how it would work. A character with levels in both the Red Wizard PrC and the Thayan Knight PrC. My question is, from the stand point of both optimization and theme, how could one be both?

Vhaidara
2014-01-30, 12:23 AM
Mechanical: Bad. Thayan Knight has no casting progression, has bad prereqs, and is generally not very good. It would also make you MAD as all hell.

Thematically: Worse. A Red Wizard wouldn't lower themselves to fighting with the foot troops, and neither would they allow the foot troops to rise to join their own ranks.

Grayson01
2014-01-30, 06:04 AM
Have to completely agree with Kele on this one. Red Wizard is more the a PrC it's a Social Class. It's the highest tier of Social Standing in Thay, while the Knight is most likely a Knoble of some standing it would be a much lower class.

Crunch wise: extreamly Mad and would truly pull down the Wizard portion of the Red Wizard (Again lowering his social standing) lowering his over all Power. The Class features would not complement each other much at all.

Side Note: I ran a campaign where Red Wizards where the Main villians and most had a Thayain Knight body Guarded and Ironically I found the Knight Base Class as very effective to Complement the Thayain Knight class.

Sian
2014-01-30, 06:40 AM
echo of ^^

Red Wizard is a social class for wizards only (and its very rare that they have any class/prestigeclass not Wizard focused

Thayan Knight on the other hand is their Elite Mundane Mooks, either being second-tier army commander (Red Wizards on top), or dedicated Bodyguards

Xuldarinar
2014-01-30, 10:21 AM
Fair enough. It was a point of curiosity more than anything. Are there any prestige classes that red wizards would likely go into, besides red wizard (obviously)? Am I to assume all gish PrCs are things Red Wizards would never touch?

On a slightly differing note, is there any class beside wizard that could technically qualify for the red wizard prestige class? I see the main obstacle being Tattoo focus, which requires specialization in a school of magic. Given that, I guess the real question is, are wizards the only class capable of specializing in a school of magic?

ZamielVanWeber
2014-01-30, 10:42 AM
Incantatrix (for the self boosting power) comes to mind. Really, full-casting PrCs would be their biggest draw.

Arc_knight25
2014-01-30, 11:04 AM
Does the fact that you fail any mind affecting spell cast by any Red Wizard worry you at all? I know that there are ways around such attempts, but 1 dispel magic from a Red Wizard and your pretty much done.

Because we all know that the Red Wizards wouldn't be above gaining the upper hand on one of their brethren.

Xuldarinar
2014-01-30, 11:21 AM
Does the fact that you fail any mind affecting spell cast by any Red Wizard worry you at all? I know that there are ways around such attempts, but 1 dispel magic from a Red Wizard and your pretty much done.

Because we all know that the Red Wizards wouldn't be above gaining the upper hand on one of their brethren.

Well, yes that would be a substantial problem.