PDA

View Full Version : rule set for mid-high op battles 3.5?

zlefin
2014-01-30, 01:25 AM
I'm planning to run a straight battle setup. Rather like arena except there may sometimes be terrain/obstacles.
I'm looking for something high op, or mid-high op, but lower than tippy level.
I'm not sure what the best houserule set is for that, I know I've seen a variety of rulesets around that various arenas use. I want to prevent some of the more silly cheese (like dust of choking and sneezing raw), without having to modify things on the fly.
So, recommendations on a good houserule set?

Grod_The_Giant
2014-01-30, 01:31 AM
Test of Spite (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150821)?

Silva Stormrage
2014-01-30, 01:37 AM
Seconding the test of spite, that should be more than enough to prevent any of the abusable stuff. If you want a perfectly balanced 3.5 than your out of luck :smalltongue:

So a gentlemans agreement + test of spite ruleset should be fine.

Kelb_Panthera
2014-01-30, 01:46 AM
If I was to do something to that effect, one of the very first things I'd do is create two divisions; high-magic and low-magic.

Low-magic is defined by being able to cast spells of a level no greater than 1/4 of your character level, rounded down.

High-magic is defined as being able to cast spells of a level higher than 1/4 of your character level, rounded down.

In-game the division is handled by an expert with pimped out sense motive and a device that allows him to use greater arcane sight. Per complete adventurer, a sense motive check can allow you to gauge a character's relative threat level. G. Arcane sight allows you to determine the highest level spell the target has prepared. Between them they allow the expert to -roughly- estimate who belongs in which division.

Bonus points; the official -can- be fooled, allowing a high-magic competitor to sneak into the low-magic division and clean up.