PDA

View Full Version : Body Control - Psionic Power

Qc Storm
2014-01-30, 01:32 AM
This question came up today while playing. Our party psion just earned the Body Control power and started having some fun with it. What does the puppet keep?

The psions is not actually controlling the target's mind. Rather, it directly controls its body. Thus, the victim cannot use spells, and uses the psion's int modifier for attack rolls and AC. Would the target retain its feat? Can it power attack? Use special abilities? Benefit from improved critical? Weapon Focus?

HaikenEdge
2014-01-30, 01:35 AM
Depends on who the psion is controlling. For the most part, if the victim is an enemy, the victim cannot do anything the psion doesn't allow them to do, including move or attack, though the victim could cast spells that have no components, since those would be purely mental actions.

chronomatophobe
2014-01-30, 01:44 AM
Control Body does specify that the manifester can render the manifestee harmless for the duration of the power if they so desire. With that in mind, I don't think the manifestee could do anything that required manipulating a limb of their body in the slightest (The text seems to imply the subject can still talk). They could still manifest psionic powers, though. Or cast any spell with no somatic or material components.

EDIT: In regards to power attack and such, I don't think the manifester could will the target to utilize those abilities on their behalf. The power lets you yank around the limbs of a creature with telekinesis and nothing further.

Qc Storm
2014-01-30, 02:07 AM
I realize I may not have been very clear. The control of Control Body is absolute. I was wondering if the psion could force the target to use some of his feats or special abilities, such as power attack.

Kelb_Panthera
2014-01-30, 02:14 AM
It would seem that you can make them use whatever abilities they have as long as that ability is entirely dependent on physical movement.

Psyren
2014-01-30, 09:15 AM
You could really go either way on this one. Either you say yes, because the ability is purely physical and thus the Psion can instruct them to use it, or you say no, because the psion has to actually know how to do it and move their limbs accordingly.

Power Attack seems rather simple but it's still clearly a special way of attacking since you need a feat to learn how to do it, so the Psion may not be able to activate an advanced technique like that. To use a more complicated example, a Psion may not know how to trigger a Martial Stance, or Stand Still, or Combat Expertise etc.