PDA

View Full Version : The Amazon Warrior (prc)

TheThan
2007-01-26, 12:01 AM
The Amazon warrior

Legend has it that once, long ago there lived a tribe of strong warriors, these warriors, being a powerful and dominant force in the region grew arrogant in their abilities and of their power. They began to mistreat and abuse their womenfolk.
The amazon women began lamenting their fate at the hands of the cruel men, they cried out in prayer to their gods for deliverance. The gods heard them, they decided to curse the men for such arrogance and cruelty and bless the women who had suffered so long. The curse goes something like this No amazon man will ever wield a weapon nor shall he strike a woman . The women were blessed with strength, beauty and grace.
However the women had relied upon the men for protection and without them they were vulnerable to attack by their neighbors. In response to this, the god of war sent his personal guard of female warriors to train them in the ways of battle. The women took up the sword and became skilled warriors while the men could not fight and were forced to stay home.

Over time the amazons came into contact with other warrior women. They formed a bond and many were accepted into the amazon culture as a honorary Amazon. They find few men worthy of such titles but they exist. Some women choose to stay with the amazons and become a true member of their tribe.

Adventures
Most amazon warriors begin an adventure as a rite of passage. But many adventure for their own personal gains or to benefit their home village in some way.

Abilities
Because amazon warriors rely on light armor they need high dexterity, as well as strength for damage and constitution for the ability to take abuse. Amazons also need high charisma because this increases their natural defensive capabilities and powers some of their supernatural abilities.

Becoming an Amazon Warrior
In order to become an amazon warrior, a character must first come into contact with a tribe of amazons. Then she must convince them she is a worthy warrior (through feats of combat prowess), which earns her the ability to become an honorary amazon warrior. Once she has gained this title she is free to come and go among the amazons as she pleases. But in order to truly master the skills of the amazon warrior one must live with the amazon for at least on year, some times longer.

Requirements
Must be female or is a male under the influence of a cursed item such as a belt of gender changing.
BAB+6
Weapon focus with at least one of the following weapons: spear, javelin, short bow, long bow (including composite versions), scimitar, short sword, quarterstaff and dagger
Must have become an honorary Amazon warrior (see above)Hit dice: d8

Skills:
The following are the Amazon Warriors class skills and the key ability for each: Balance (dex), Climb (str), craft (Int), handle animal (cha), hide (dex), heal (wis), intimidate (cha), jump (str), listen (wis), ride (dex), Spot, survival (wis), swim (str), and tumble (dex)

Skill points per level: 6+int modifier

The Amazon Warrior (http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g42/TheThan/amazon3.jpg)

Class features

Weapon and armor proficiencies:
Amazon warriors gain the weapon proficiency for the spear, javelin, short bow, long bow (including composite versions), scimitar, short sword, quarterstaff and dagger.
They gain the armor proficiency for all light armor and the buckler, light wooden shield and the light steel shield.

Defense bonus (ex)
Amazons posses such fierceness on the battlefield that most beings are taken off guard.
When wearing light armor or none at all, and unencumbered, the Amazon Warrior adds her Charisma bonus (if any) to her AC. In addition, an Amazon Warrior gains a +1 bonus to AC at 5th level. This bonus increases by 1 for two Amazon Warrior levels thereafter (+2 at 7th, +3 at 9th).

These bonuses to AC apply even against touch attacks or when the Amazon is flat-footed. She loses these bonuses when she is immobilized or helpless, when she wears any armor heavier than light armor, when she carries a shield heavier than a light shield, or when she carries a medium or heavy load.

Evasion (ex)
At 2nd level and higher, an Amazon Warrior can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If she makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, she instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if the rogue is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless Amazon Warrior does not gain the benefit of evasion.

Grace (ex)
At 3rd, an Amazon warrior gains an additional +2 competence bonus on all Reflex saving throws. This ability functions only when she is wearing light or no armor and is unencumbered.

Skirmish (ex)
Amazon Warriors rely on grace and movement in combat. They are always moving, ducking, spinning, and tumbling through a battlefield. As a result they gain the skirmish ability. This ability works like the scout’s skirmish ability, except where noted below:
The bonus damage dice starts at 2nd level at 1d6 and increases by +1d6 every two levels (to a total of +5d6 at 10th level).

At 4th level, Amazons also gain a +1 competency bonus to defense in each round she moves 10 feet or more. She gains this bonus the moment she moves 10 or more feet and lasts until the start of the next round. This bonus increases to +2 at 8th level.
This bonus only applies to an Amazon that is wearing light or no armor, carrying a light shield and is unencumbered.

Naturally this skirmish ability stacks with other instances of skirmish the Amazon may have had before becoming an Amazon.

So any question or comments? Constructive criticism is always welcome.
Note: I’m not too sure about the smite ability. it might be a bit too over the top. What do you think?

CuthroatMcGee
2007-01-26, 12:14 AM
I would say, taking a brief look, that the only thing that should be changed is the Smite Men ability. I think it feels a little too intolerant and sexist. Amazons aren't anti-male warriors, they're just female warriors. Because they're a fighting class, and because they have less armor and HD than one normally would, I'd grant them some bonus feats, within the fighter's spectrum but maybe more limited. That's just what I'd do.

EDIT: Cancel out that last part, I didn't see how full the level progression chart was. It's probably fine without the feats and Smite Men.

TheThan
2007-01-26, 01:04 AM
After thinking about it for a while, I agree it’ll be fine without the smite ability. I originally had the idea of the man-hater stereotype but as I typed it out it sorta evolved into something much better. So I think I’m going to edit out the smite ability. They also originally had trapfinding but I decided to take that of early. I pounded this thing out in like a couple of hours.