PDA

View Full Version : Help concerning supplements.

Adalwolf
2014-01-30, 07:58 AM
Good morning people. So far, i have played and DMed "vanilla" D&D if you will, (DMG I&II, PHB, MM I-IV). I'm interested in familiarizing with some supplements prefferably those that add extra options and flavor pertaining to the core classes and rules. Any suggestions will be most welcome, please refrain from mentioning Campaign Settings (like Forgotten Realms) or Theme books (like Frostburn). Thank you all in advance.

Snowbluff
2014-01-30, 08:11 AM
Complete Arcane
PHB II
Complete Warrior
Complete Divine
Dragon Magic
Tome of Magic
Tome of Battle

That should be like 90% of the classes in the game, as well as add options for the core classes.

Kelb_Panthera
2014-01-30, 08:21 AM
Given the constraints you've listed, you're pretty much locking yourself into the Complete series of books.

Complete Adventurer
Complete Arcane
Complete Champion
Complete Divine
Complete Mage
Complete Scoundrel
Complete Warrior

If you're willing to explore some new mechanics you might try Psionics, Incarnum, or one of the Tomes.

Expanded Psionic Handbook
Magic of Incarnum
Tome of Battle: the Book of Nine Sword
Tome of Magic

Most everything else I could think of is "themed" in one way or another.

Races of X
The environment series (i.e. Frostburn)

Honestly, there's a lot of good stuff scattered throughout a good bit of less good stuff and almost as much mediocrity and even a fair bit of crap in all the books.

Of the ones I listed by title, I'd probably go with Tome of Battle first. It gives too many interesting options to melee, even if you don't use the base classes in the book, to just be ignored.

One last note, and this one'll be a bit controversial, the Books of Exalted Deeds and Vile Darkness. They're really better as a pair. Be forewarned, if you're not ready to tackle the complexity of human(oid) morality ignore this suggestion, as it has a tendency to cause a bit of strife if everyone's not on the same page.

Adalwolf
2014-01-30, 08:33 AM
I will definitely get my hands on the complete series then. As for the BoVD and BoED i am still in the process of reading them and though i do like the morality issues they touch, i think it will take some time before starting to implement them. Thank you very much for your helpful and hasty responses. Cheers!