PDA

View Full Version : When did you start playing the d20 system.

zegma
2007-01-26, 12:26 AM
just as its read. i started when i was 13.

Edit:

Technically, the "d20 rules" came into being when D&D 3rd edition did. The logo and everything. Before that, it mostly revolved around the d20, but it wasn't the "d20 rules." That's why the question sucks, and I don't know whether to answer 11 or 17.

look srry i thought the dnd was alwas the d20 system. i mostly ment when did you start to play but since i said d20 i have to stick with that or else the poll will get swcred up. srry. i didnt know.

Scorpina
2007-01-26, 12:28 AM
A few years back now. Three or four, I think. I'm not sure.

After the Baldur's Gate Saga drew me irrevocably into the world of D&D.

Still waiting on those Satanic Initations to start.

Siberys
2007-01-26, 12:30 AM
six years ago - early-mid 2001. And you won't believe what began my obsession.

Dexter's Laboratory.

Yes, you read thet right. Dexter's lab.

The shame...

MandibleBones
Back when 3.0 came out - before it was really called the d20 system. I'd played a little AD&D, thought it was neat, and picked up the PHB just to see what this new stuff was all about. Right about that time, Star Wars, a game I'd played for a long time in d6, converted - I tried my hand at running a game, my munchkin players walked all over me, and the very next session I brought a copy of the Monster Manual and sicced the Tarrasque on them.

Been hooked ever since.

zegma
six years ago - early-mid 2001. And you won't believe what began my obsession.

Dexter's Laboratory.

Yes, you read thet right. Dexter's lab.

The shame...

lol

(just writeing this to get past the min limit of words.)

zachol
2007-01-26, 01:01 AM
I started when I was 10 or 11 (about 6 or 7 years ago).
I had originally played GURPS, then someone pointed me at AD&D.
I looked at the boxed set, then got the new 3.0 books as a gift.

For a while before that, though, I played Ars Magica.
Since... well, probably since I was 9 or 10.

TheThan
2007-01-26, 01:06 AM
I started back in 2001 with the advent of the starwars d20 game. I got into DnD from there.

Shazzbaa
2007-01-26, 01:31 AM
I didn't start D&D proper until the year before I turned 20, if I'm remembering correctly. Which was last year.

As I said before, I'm a newb. It's amazing how obsessed I've become in such a short time. ^^

My parents played in their youth, but my mother wasn't particularly interested in bringing it back and my father was busy, so I never really played (though I did hear stories about my mother's old cleric character) until I joined a heavily houseruled game run by one of my college friends, and realised just how much fun this stuff was.
Then I went home, and one of my home friends was starting a campaign and wanted me in it. And so it began.

Fax Celestis
2007-01-26, 01:38 AM
Hm. Well, I started when I was six. My dad got me hooked. My first game was actually as a duck (of all things) in Glorantha, and then we switched to AD&D.

That was way back in...1990.

I feel old now.

Mike_G
2007-01-26, 01:39 AM
Not sure when D20 came out. We started playing 3.0 when it first came out, in, what, 1999 maybe? I was older than 23, though, since I hit that age back in the early 1990's.

I played old editions of D&D/AD&D since 1980, when I was 12.

Zincorium
2007-01-26, 03:54 AM
I've been playing since about 9 years ago, started with 1st edition (my stepdad's old books) with my brother and his friends, and it's just been a constant part of my life since then. It's an excellent hobby to have if you're military, since no matter where you get sent, chances are good at least one person there plays or used to.

Darkshade
2007-01-26, 04:00 AM
i've been playing for about a decade, started with 2nd edition, my dad was an old school 1st edition gamer in his youth but didnt introduce me to it

Ogh_the_Second
2007-01-26, 04:49 AM
Over 23. That's what you get when you start playing RPGs in the 1980s.

NEO|Phyte
2007-01-26, 06:45 AM
Started 2 years ago, in college. Saw a 3.0 psion in action. If I dug up my sheet, there'd probably be just a few things I did that would make me go 'what the hell was I thinking?'

Fun times...

clericwithnogod
2007-01-26, 07:40 AM
Over 23... The time between the 3.0 announce and release and shortly thereafter was a lot of fun. Tracking all the rumors and previews... Reading the articles by the designers explaining what they're doing and why... Hearing tyrannical DMs screech like a melting witch from the Wizard of Oz as their power eroded... Just watching the game be remade into something more fun - attracting new players and briinging people who had previously left the game back into the fold...

Deus Mortus
2007-01-26, 07:45 AM
I started not to long ago, so that would be my current age, 18 ;)

SMEE
2007-01-26, 07:53 AM
I was about 20 when I bought D&D 3.0 on it's debut year (2000, I think, a year before LotR: Fellowship of the ring movie was released).
I've been playing for longer than that, though.

Offtopic: (And I still remember the local bookstores being flooded by LotR books by the end of 2001... I spent years looking for it as it was completly out of print around here in Brazil, so I bought the complete english set among with the D&D 3.0 books at amazon).

Thomas
2007-01-26, 08:26 AM
Wait, what do we count as the d20 system? Pendragon uses a d20, too... is AD&D d20? I've played AD&D since age 11 or so (the local library had the PHB, DMG, and MM), and D&D since right after it came out in 2000 (so I'd have been 17).

cylepher
2007-01-26, 09:03 AM
Actually started with the 3.0 system little after it came out. Got hooked on it when i was in high school, but didn't really take off until college...more free time. :D

ken-do-nim
2007-01-26, 09:07 AM
I guess I'm the old guy on this list. I got into 1st edition when I was 11. At least the main books were on the 2nd covers by this point!

Indon
2007-01-26, 09:13 AM
Shortly after it came out, for me.

We were playing AD&D and really the first time I tried it, I was hooked.

Of course, really all it took was for the THAC0 system to be fixed, and it was. I still can't calculate THAC0...

clarkvalentine
2007-01-26, 09:35 AM
Since the beginning... Suffice to say I had to hit the "over 23" category.

pestilenceawaits
2007-01-26, 10:00 AM
I started d20 when it came out. I was over 23 I had been playing 2nd edition since I was 15.

Jayabalard
2007-01-26, 10:08 AM
hmm, I started playing AD&D in my teens, and quit a year or so after 2nd edition came out.

I'm not sure that qualifies as "D20" though, since I had never heard of that until I started back up on 3.5 ed D&D recently.

Lial Swiftlight
2007-01-26, 10:53 AM
I was 15 when 3rd edition first hit, and I got the core rulebooks the week they came out.

I'd actually learned the AD&D rules from my older brother about 4-5 years before that, but he never let me join his group, and I didn't manage to form a group myself until about a week before 3rd edition hit.

Golthur
2007-01-26, 10:59 AM
Since the beginning... Suffice to say I had to hit the "over 23" category.
Umm... Yes, me also. Poll seems a little biased against us old fogies. :tongue:

Now, if you asked when I first started D&D, well, that would fit in this poll; I started playing at 13.

NEO|Phyte
2007-01-26, 11:07 AM
Now, if you asked when I first started D&D, well, that would fit in this poll; I started playing at 13.
I suggest you read the poll question more carefully.

Golthur
2007-01-26, 11:09 AM
I suggest you read the poll question more carefully.
"how old when you started to play the d20 system?".

d20 system isn't the only D&D, you know...

NEO|Phyte
2007-01-26, 11:14 AM
"how old when you started to play the d20 system?".

d20 system isn't the only D&D, you know...
Its not asking how long you've played, its asking how old you were when you started. Since you've stated that you started D&D at age 13, you can't have been over 23 when you started into a d20 system.
:edit: wait, now I'm all confused, theres been a D&D that wasn't d20?

Golthur
2007-01-26, 11:16 AM
Its not asking how long you've played, its asking how old you were when you started. Since you've stated that you started D&D at age 13, you can't have been over 23 when you started into a d20 system.
Um, yes I can. Basic D&D, with the blue/red book, depending on your age. With the dice you had to colour with a crayon.

Yes, it predates d20 by a long, long, long time - my Basic set is (c) 1980.

Wolf53226
2007-01-26, 11:23 AM
But the question wasn't when did you start playing in a d20 system, but when did you start playing in THE d20 system. The d20 system, which I would assume is any book that states it is part of the d20 System, came out about the time of 3.0, I believe, I started playing that, not all that long ago and I am certainly over 23. But I started playing AD&D and the basic D&D red books in the 80's and Palladium which is also d20 based in the 90's, but they aren't officially part of the d20 system.

Thomas
2007-01-26, 12:08 PM
:edit: wait, now I'm all confused, theres been a D&D that wasn't d20?

Technically, the "d20 rules" came into being when D&D 3rd edition did. The logo and everything. Before that, it mostly revolved around the d20, but it wasn't the "d20 rules." That's why the question sucks, and I don't know whether to answer 11 or 17.

MrNexx
2007-01-26, 12:22 PM
But the question wasn't when did you start playing in a d20 system, but when did you start playing in THE d20 system. The d20 system, which I would assume is any book that states it is part of the d20 System, came out about the time of 3.0, I believe, I started playing that, not all that long ago and I am certainly over 23.

Some would argue that point. (http://www.knights-n-knaves.com/osric/)

clericwithnogod
2007-01-26, 12:26 PM
Seeing the other posts, it's somewhat comforting to see that I'm not the only person for whom "Over 23" could apply to the number of years you've been playing some form of DND as well as how old you were when D20 came out...

Caelestion
2007-01-26, 12:29 PM
Well, I first started playing 3rd Edition in August 2000, literally just when it came out. I had been playing AD&D religiously for three years beforehand though, and reading 1st Edition books for two further years previously.

silvermesh
2007-01-26, 12:30 PM
Hehehe, whippersnappers.
The d20 system didn't "come out shortly after 3.0", d20 is the system they designed for 3rd edition D&D. basically, 3rd edition D&D was the flagship of d20. The system and the game just didn't see much seperation until 3rd party publishers actually started coming out with popular stuff.

Wolf53226
2007-01-26, 12:44 PM
Some would argue that point. (http://www.knights-n-knaves.com/osric/)

I see no mention of them using the d20 system or any name for the system they use, though I might just be missing it...however, if you will note that on the back of most 3.0 and beyond books, there is an icon stating that the system they imploy is named d20.

Ok, that was rather poorly written, but as I cannot think of a better way to say it right this moment I am leavining it as is, and while I will admit that it is a bit of nit picking at the wording, it is a bit of nit picking that drastically changes the question's context.

DeathQuaker
2007-01-26, 12:58 PM
I took the question literally. The d20 System (TM) came out in 2000, and I started playing it shortly after it came out. I was 24 in 2000.

Now, I bought the D&D Basic Set when I was 12, but D&D Basic was not the d20 system. There were d20s in it, certainly, but it was not the d20 system, as it didn't exist, and there are notable differences in game mechanics (for all there are similarities as well). And I never played in an RPG session until I was 17, because before that I could never find anyone to play with (lived in the middle of nowhere, and the boys I knew who played at the age of 12 didn't want to play with icky girls). And that was only one session, because then the DM's mom made him cancel the game because she thought D&D was satanic.

I never seriously got into tabletop RPGs until college at the age of 18, and that was with the (now "old") World of Darkness Storyteller System, so that was also not the d20 System.

I'd say I've been seriously gaming since 18, and playing the newest editions of D&D since my mid-20s. I am 30 now.

jjpickar
2007-01-26, 01:04 PM
Learned about gaming in the BSA. Quit them after a year but continued to game . I started on the Star Wars RPG and then bought all the core books for 3.5 in I think late 2003. Been playing but mostly game mastering ever since. :smallsmile:

zegma
2007-01-26, 09:43 PM

look srry i thought the dnd was alwas the d20 system. i mostly ment when did you start to play but since i said d20 i have to stick with that or else the poll will get swcred up. srry. i didnt know.

DeathQuaker
2007-01-26, 10:57 PM

Well, you can always start a new poll, "When did you start playing any version of D&D?"

or "When did you start playing RPGs?"

I doubt anyone will mind as long as you're clear they're two different topics. :smallsmile:

Thomas
2007-01-27, 10:56 AM
RPG histories are always obscure things. :smallwink: It's unlikely someone would know these details without having actually played the various editions. (I've played the old D&D - although I can't say which "edition" or publication version it actually was - AD&D 2nd edition, and D&D 3.0 and 3.5...)

At least D&D is pretty easy, and the editions are clear. RuneQuest and Glorantha gaming history... now that's something. There's been four editions (the last from a different company, and even the license is held by a company with a different name), several board wargames (it started with a board wargame, in fact), a computer game, and then there was the period of a 10 or so years when the only publications going on were Tales of the Reaching Moon and Tradetalk, which were fanzines... (How many games have survived for 10 years with no official publisher?)

It was "the d20 system" that clinched it as D&D 3rd edition (and the OGL/SRD derivate systems) for me. "A d20 system" would have been... more confusing.