PDA

View Full Version : Crafting Augment Crystals?

IslandDog
2014-01-30, 10:54 AM
Hey Playgrounders,
Can a character craft augment crystals?
If, for a example, I was to craft a crystal of return (least), who's market value was 300 gp, it would then cost me 150 gp and less than a day's work?

Do I need a feat for it? Skill ranks? I feel like Craft Wondrous Item is the answer here, but I'm not sure.

*random question*
This seems a bit ridiculous to be asking, but what happens when an NPC's health gets below zero? My group has just been playing that they die. This is because as low level characters, when a goblin has 4 health it seems a bit odd to give it more than double its hitpoints in negative hitpoints before it dies. I'm asking because one of the crystals I might craft, the crystal of life drinking, heals my damage every time I deal damage. So, if those goblins were knocked unconscious (aka below 0), could I then after the battle stab them all and regain some HP?

Thanks in advance!

BowStreetRunner
2014-01-30, 11:07 AM
It's a bit annoying that they didn't explicitly come out and explain on page 221 of the rules how this works, but if you look at the entry for any particular augment crystal you will see the Prerequisite feat is listed as Craft Magic Arms and Armor. So yes, PCs can craft the crystals.

Cruiser1
2014-01-30, 11:37 AM
If, for a example, I was to craft a crystal of return (least), who's market value was 300 gp, it would then cost me 150 gp and less than a day's work?
Close, it will cost 150 gp in material costs and exactly one day's work. Remember that "Creating an item requires one day per 1,000 gp in the item’s base price, with a minimum of at least one day."

when a goblin has 4 health it seems a bit odd to give it more than double its hitpoints in negative hitpoints before it dies.
It seems strange, but that's RAW for you. :smallwink: When playing a level 1 character, you'll be glad to have that extra buffer of 10 hp when that Goblin gets a critical hit on you. Of course, at level 20 when you have 300 hp, it will seem strange that you only have 10 hp of unconsciousness before dying. Hence the common houserule that you die at -10hp or -CON hp, whichever is larger.

Coidzor
2014-01-30, 11:49 AM
*random question*
This seems a bit ridiculous to be asking, but what happens when an NPC's health gets below zero? My group has just been playing that they die. This is because as low level characters, when a goblin has 4 health it seems a bit odd to give it more than double its hitpoints in negative hitpoints before it dies. I'm asking because one of the crystals I might craft, the crystal of life drinking, heals my damage every time I deal damage. So, if those goblins were knocked unconscious (aka below 0), could I then after the battle stab them all and regain some HP?

If your DM wants to track their HP after they've been downed, then yes. If your DM doesn't want to do that (and I can't fault them for it, it is kind of annoying book keeping depending upon how many there are), then no, dead's dead rather than bleeding out. If he just rules that they're unconscious though, then, yeah, they have to have some lifeforce left in 'em.

This is one case where I actually prefer the way 4e and some other systems do it, where you can decide if you want them dead or incapacitated when you drop them.

Slipperychicken
2014-01-30, 02:54 PM
This is one case where I actually prefer the way 4e and some other systems do it, where you can decide if you want them dead or incapacitated when you drop them.

If you ask me, I prefer some chance to overkill with nonlethal damage and accidentally kill the target. Like how in Shadowrun you could theoretically overclock someone's Stun boxes (i.e. nonlethal damage) so hard that it carries over into Physical (regular hp) and puts the guy in critical condition or even kills him. Mainly because an attacker isn't in complete 100% control over how his strikes play out, and accidental deaths like that do happen.

IslandDog
2014-01-30, 05:18 PM
It's a bit annoying that they didn't explicitly come out and explain on page 221 of the rules how this works, but if you look at the entry for any particular augment crystal you will see the Prerequisite feat is listed as Craft Magic Arms and Armor. So yes, PCs can craft the crystals.

Oh, thanks so much! That's a bit odd though, no? Why would magical crystals not be a wondrous item? I'd have to wait until level 5 to take that feat?

As to the HP stuff, thanks! I guess I'll talk to the DM about it. It's probably not that relevant right now until I get one of those crystals, or if we wanted to revive a bleeding out prisoner.

BowStreetRunner
2014-01-30, 05:31 PM
Why would magical crystals not be a wondrous item?

Think of each crystal as a modular component that can be added to a weapon, shield or suit of armor. It's different from a crystal that you can wear as a piece of jewelry - it has to be designed to work with the weapon, shield or armor to which it will be attached. Kind of like different light-saber crystals in Star Wars, or interchangeable scopes on a modern rifle.

That would be my take on it, for what it's worth.

Xefas
2014-01-30, 05:37 PM
Oh, thanks so much! That's a bit odd though, no? Why would magical crystals not be a wondrous item? I'd have to wait until level 5 to take that feat?

Flavor-wise, it's probably something about having to know how to enchant weapons and armor before learning how to temporarily alter those enchantments. Maybe magic moves through hats and belts differently than it does swords and shields. Augment crystals for one's Cummerbund of Chupacabra Strength +4 or Ushanka of Skipping and Slinging would, therefore, be the purview of Craft Wondrous Item.

Sadly, I don't think anyone has homebrewed Paraphernalia Augment Crystals.

TuggyNE
2014-01-30, 10:53 PM
Why would magical crystals not be a wondrous item?

Same reason swords, shields, rings, rods, and potions aren't: they're just made differently. Why are rods, staffs, and wands made with different feats? Why is a +1 battleaxe made with the same feat a +3 heavy fortification breastplate is?

Or, of course, you can always look at psionics, where almost everything is a magical(-ish) crystal. Weapons? Deep crystal. Wands? They're called "dorjes", and yep, crystal. Scrolls? They're called "power stones" and are made of, you guessed it, crystal!

The stuff it's made of is usually the least significant part of a magical item, sadly.

Slipperychicken
2014-01-30, 11:58 PM

The crystals are a modification for armor, so I guess it would be similar enough to be covered by the same feat.

Dimers
2014-01-31, 01:15 AM
Augment crystals go on arms and armor; they modify arms and armor. They have no mechanical effect when not boosting arms or armor. They're definitely weapon/armor enchantments -- they just happen to share with each other the special quality that they can be swapped out.

Rockbeard
2019-02-22, 06:14 PM
Is it possible to craft augment crystals that do not exist in the books?
like one that say for flavor makes your armor feel lighter and you get a plus to jump?
or what that can cast a low level spell blank times a day when you attack or charge or what have you?

these items always fascinated me and would love to know if you could do that with them. granted it may be seen as to powerful to have a 3/day rhino's rush on a crystal on a weapon. but hey would be nice.

Kish
2019-02-22, 06:22 PM
Is it possible to craft augment crystals that do not exist in the books?
like one that say for flavor makes your armor feel lighter and you get a plus to jump?
or what that can cast a low level spell blank times a day when you attack or charge or what have you?

these items always fascinated me and would love to know if you could do that with them. granted it may be seen as to powerful to have a 3/day rhino's rush on a crystal on a weapon. but hey would be nice.
That's up to the DM.