PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Flanking question

Laniius
2014-01-30, 12:11 PM
I'm not sure if I'm going to play him, but I'm planning a character who will use two-weapon fighting with a spiked gauntlet or cestus and a gun. I'll be using the Deft Shootist Deed/Feat (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/deft-shootist-deed-grit) to avoid AoOs, the character will be primarily "melee".

Now, I know I don't threaten or flank with a firearm. But what if my other hand is wearing a gauntlet?

If I attack with the firearm, will I get the flanking bonus (because I'm flanking with the gauntlet)? Or will I only get the flanking bonus with the gauntlet?

What about Attacks of Opportunity? Will I only be able to make them with the gauntlet, or can I make them with the gun?

For these questions, assume that the gun will be loaded.

Thanks.

NightbringerGGZ
2014-01-30, 12:26 PM
The Snap Shot feat chain would allow you threaten and make AoOs with a ranged weapon. You would not receive the +2 Flanking Bonus, that applies only to melee attacks.

Alternatively, you can threaten or make an AoO with either a Cestus or Guantlet. A gun with an attached melee weapon would also let you threaten or make an AoO.

grarrrg
2014-01-30, 10:23 PM
Now, I know I don't threaten or flank with a firearm. But what if my other hand is wearing a gauntlet? If I attack with the firearm, will I get the flanking bonus (because I'm flanking with the gauntlet)? Or will I only get the flanking bonus with the gauntlet?

Only get the Gauntlet gets the bonus.
Only Melee weapons can threaten/flank (outside of the Snap Shot feats).

What about Attacks of Opportunity? Will I only be able to make them with the gauntlet, or can I make them with the gun?

Again, Melee only, except for the Snap Shot feat.

Also, firearms are not Light weapons, so be careful of using a non-light melee weapon, or else all your attacks will eat a -4 to-hit penalty.

Laniius
2014-01-31, 12:31 AM
Also, firearms are not Light weapons, so be careful of using a non-light melee weapon, or else all your attacks will eat a -4 to-hit penalty.

Yup. That's why I was going to be focusing on the gauntlet or cestus. That, and so I can reload if I have to (not sure if I'll be using a revolver or a pistol with rapid reload and cartridges).