PDA

View Full Version : Adventure Books/Modules

albeaver89
2014-01-30, 12:26 PM
What, if any, books go from level 1 to level 20 (or something spanning more than ten levels)?

If there are none, what is the longest, while still being fun, adventure book?

(Homebrew or published idc, as long as they are fun.)

Falcon X
2014-01-30, 01:11 PM
I think you would do best to collect a number of modules for a certain setting. Like, getting multiple Ravenloft or Dragonlance modules and combining them.

Now, are you sticking with 3rd edition, or are you doing conversions?

Of the 3rd edition modules, judging by pages, the longest ones are:
City of the Spider Queen (188 pages, Lvl 10-18 PCs)
Expedition to Castle Ravenloft (244 pages, Lvl 6-10 PCs)
Expedition to Ruins of Greyhawk (222 pages, Lvl 8-13 PCs)
Shattered Gates of Slaughterguard (155 pages, Lvl 1-6 PCs)
Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil (226 pages, Lvl 4-14 PCs)

So, Your best bet would be Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil. It has a great reputation as an excellent adventure, and it can grow you ten levels.

ken-do-nim
2014-01-30, 01:17 PM
I think you would do best to collect a number of modules for a certain setting. Like, getting multiple Ravenloft or Dragonlance modules and combining them.

Now, are you sticking with 3rd edition, or are you doing conversions?

Of the 3rd edition modules, judging by pages, the longest ones are:
City of the Spider Queen (188 pages, Lvl 10-18 PCs)
Expedition to Castle Ravenloft (244 pages, Lvl 6-10 PCs)
Expedition to Ruins of Greyhawk (222 pages, Lvl 8-13 PCs)
Shattered Gates of Slaughterguard (155 pages, Lvl 1-6 PCs)
Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil (226 pages, Lvl 4-14 PCs)

So, Your best bet would be Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil. It has a great reputation as an excellent adventure, and it can grow you ten levels.

I personally found Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil to be mostly a slog (i.e. too much dungeon crawl in a row), though the end was exciting.

Anyway, Rappan Athuk can take you from level 4 to level 16+.

G.Cube
2014-01-30, 01:49 PM
Isn't the Sunless Citadel the start of a possible 1-20 series of adventures? Or am I remembering wrong?

BWR
2014-01-30, 01:53 PM
Sunless Citadel is a beginning level adventure 1-3, IIRC.

Try the various Adventure Paths. Usually published in 6 installments. At least one of them has been collected into a single book: Rise of the Runelords. They take you from level 1 to ca. 20.

DJroboninja
2014-01-30, 02:46 PM
For D&D 3.5, try The Shackled City, and awesome adventure path from Dungeon magazine that was compiled into one big hardcover. Takes you from 1 to 20 and gives you a home base to keep safe.

For Pathfinder, try Rise of the Runelords.

dysprosium
2014-01-30, 02:47 PM
Seconding Adventure Paths--I've played a few and they were entertaining. You may have heard of titles like Age of Worms, Savage Tide, or Shackled City.

EN Publishing has their War of the Burning Sky adventure path that goes from 1-20. I've DMed this twice (3.5 version) and both were fun. I've heard rumors of a hardcover somewhere but I got mine in pdf from rpgnow.com.

Mongoose Publishing has the Drow War trilogy that goes from 1-30 in three books (1-10, 11-20, 21-30). That was fun to run as well. This is older and probably harder to find. I was lucky enough to have the hardcover books on hand.

Darkz0r
2014-01-30, 03:45 PM
Age of Worms is 1-20!

Go to wikipedia and read the short summary of all suggestions, then you can decide :)

zilonox
2014-01-30, 04:03 PM
"Way of the Wicked" is an Adventure Path for Pathfinder (but easily used in 3E) that offers your players a chance to be evil for a full 20 levels and includes a variety of play styles including a prison escape (the very first scene), dungeon crawls, city siege, espionage/sabotage, even a "reverse" dungeon crawl where they have to defend their "dungeon" from several parties of good adventurers while an evil ritual is completed. Play can continue past the end of the last adventure if your players want to get into kingdom building/ruling activities as they may well be in charge of a kingdom at the end if they do well.

It does take a good group of mature players to not have it devolve into a complete "lulz ima ebil ima kill ma party"-fest, but it can be a very entertaining path to DM/play.

Xefas
2014-01-30, 04:24 PM
World's Largest Dungeon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World%27s_Largest_Dungeon) is a single adventure, 840+ pages and 16 full-color poster-sized maps, that takes characters from 1st to 20th level, using every monster in the 3.5 monster manual, and takes an estimated ~2 years of weekly gaming to traverse.

Palanan
2014-01-30, 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by G.Cube
Isn't the Sunless Citadel the start of a possible 1-20 series of adventures? Or am I remembering wrong?

You're remembering very correctly. Wizards put out a series of baseline modules which were sort of a proto-Adventure Path, in that they could be loosely strung together to take characters from first to upper-upper levels. They are:

Sunless Citadel (1st-2nd)
Forge of Fury (3rd-5th)
Speaker in Dreams (5th-7th)
The Standing Stone (7th-9th)
Heart of Nightfang Spire (10th-13th)
Deep Horizon (13th-15th)
Lord of the Iron Fortress (15th-17th)
Bastion of Broken Souls (18th-20th, "and perhaps beyond")

They're not a perfect sequence; there's some overlap and the occasional gap, since they were written by different designers and have very little to do with each other. (Some elements and backstory from Sunless Citadel reappear in Heart of Nightfang Spire, but they're really standalone adventures.)

Also, these are all 3.0 modules, although my first 3.5 group played several of them without any trouble...relatively speaking, that is.

:smalltongue:

Keld Denar
2014-01-30, 05:55 PM
I've been running a self converted version of Night Below for about 2 years now. I cut back xp per encounter by half after about level 6, and my PCs are mostly 8 with one freshly leveled to 9th. I'm anticipating about level 15-16 to finish, mostly because I don't want to DM at 17+.

Palanan
2014-01-30, 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by dysprosium
EN Publishing has their War of the Burning Sky adventure path that goes from 1-20. I've DMed this twice (3.5 version) and both were fun. I've heard rumors of a hardcover somewhere but I got mine in pdf from rpgnow.com.

This doesn't appear to be available on Amazon, more's the pity. There's apparently a hardcover version (http://wotbsadventurepath.com/hardcover/) available from EN Publishing's site for Burning Sky; it's absurdly large and priced to match, with the deluxe edition running 708 pages for $199.99. It does look interesting, though.

dysprosium
2014-01-31, 10:44 AM
This doesn't appear to be available on Amazon, more's the pity. There's apparently a hardcover version (http://wotbsadventurepath.com/hardcover/) available from EN Publishing's site for Burning Sky; it's absurdly large and priced to match, with the deluxe edition running 708 pages for $199.99. It does look interesting, though.

I knew I remembered reading about a hardcover version somewhere! Thanks for the link.

I would love to see the bonus material. The part of the world where the action takes place is pretty fleshed out as it is but as a glutton, I crave more!

But the price is pretty hefty for the hardcover but not bad for the softcover.

rexreg
2014-01-31, 12:52 PM
War of the Burning Sky is a great campaign. The party I DM is one module from finishing. The cost for the whole shebang is through the stratosphere, but I bought mine individually as PDF's. This campaign can be a little rough on the DM - different rules mechanics are needed for almost every encounter. The first couple modules are a little railroad-y, but the last three modules can happen in any order, depending on what the party/DM wants.

The Drow War is good. A 1-30th level campaign split into 3 10-level books. It is 3.0, so might need some conversion. It's published by Mongoose.

Shackled City is good, as well. Bunnnngggg!!!! the Uncaring would highly recommend it...if he cared enough to do so.

The World's Largest Dungeon is an interesting read, but is so long & has so little plot that I can't recommend it.

Rappan Athuk - I've read parts of it, but haven't played it...it looks interesting, though.

I enjoyed playing through The Return to the Temple of Elememental Evil, but am blessed w/ a great DM (who foolishly let me play a CN(E) Drow archer) & a great party. He tells me he cut parts of the dungeoncrawl out.

roguemetal
2014-01-31, 04:55 PM
I wholeheartedly second Shackled City. Truly engaging for every party.

War of the Burning Sky is also awesome, though complex, and tedious to DM at times.

TypoNinja
2014-01-31, 05:19 PM
There's a few adventure paths that are pretty huge. Savage tide is a full 1-20 campaign strung out across a few Dragon Magazines. I know there are others but can't remember the names.

Expedition to the Demonweb pits is another sourcebook sized adventure module, it's level range escapes me, but its quite long if your players don't skip the optional sections. Really nice Cleric PrC in there too in the Demonwrecker.

Palanan
2014-01-31, 05:31 PM
Originally Posted by roguemetal
War of the Burning Sky is also awesome, though complex, and tedious to DM at times.

It's that last part that would worry me.

SEVEN HUNDRED AND EIGHT PAGES. That's larger than the FRCS and ECS put together; it's the most encylopedic AP I've ever heard of. I'd have to study for that like it was a board exam.

:smalleek:

Hurnn
2014-01-31, 05:59 PM
There's a few adventure paths that are pretty huge. Savage tide is a full 1-20 campaign strung out across a few Dragon Magazines. I know there are others but can't remember the names.

Expedition to the Demonweb pits is another sourcebook sized adventure module, it's level range escapes me, but its quite long if your players don't skip the optional sections. Really nice Cleric PrC in there too in the Demonwrecker.

Dungeon magazine 135-150 I beleive, there are torents of just the path if you care to look for them

albeaver89
2014-02-01, 12:53 PM
Thanks for all the replies :)