PDA

View Full Version : Ways to acquire a Dedicated Wright

Syrinth
2014-01-30, 02:22 PM
As a crafting wizard in a mildly fast-paced game, I'm trying to find way to maximize the time I get. Dedicated Wrights would obviously be extraordinarily useful, but I don't have the space in my build for Craft Magic Arms and Armor and Craft Construct in order to make one.

Can anyone think of any rules legal way of acquiring a Dediacted Wright since they are explicitly never sold?

Clistenes
2014-01-30, 02:47 PM
As a crafting wizard in a mildly fast-paced game, I'm trying to find way to maximize the time I get. Dedicated Wrights would obviously be extraordinarily useful, but I don't have the space in my build for Craft Magic Arms and Armor and Craft Construct in order to make one.

Can anyone think of any rules legal way of acquiring a Dediacted Wright since they are explicitly never sold?

Hire somebody to craft it for you. If they use your blood to create the homunculus, it is bound to you.

On the other hand, I don't know if there is a non-cheesy way to get Craft Magic Arms and Armor without taking the feat. I guess that, if your DM is nice, he could allow you to add 15,000 gp to the price of the homunculus so it has the feat instead of you.

The LA +1 Inheritor template from Silverthorne Game's Template Troves III - Diseases, Parasites & Symbiotes gives you all the crafting feats for free.

A cheesy option would be to buy items that grant you Craft Feats, but honestly, why would any crafter sell those? They would be putting themselves out of the market, allowing other people to craft their own stuff. You could use Wish spells to get the items, I guess.

Gemini476
2014-01-30, 03:00 PM
Polymorph into a Midgard Dwarf (Frostburn)? They get all the crafting feats as an (Ex) ability, so that might work.

Syrinth
2014-01-30, 03:05 PM
Hire somebody to craft it for you. If they use your blood to create the homunculus, it is bound to you.

That would be my first want, but it's explicitly called out as never sold so I assume I cant't have someone make one for me, can I?

I think I've managed to find some room in my build for the feats so it's not as huge a deal anymore.

Fouredged Sword
2014-01-30, 03:07 PM
You could chaos shuffle into the feats and back.

Beg the DM for a Golem Manual (dedicated wright). I would think there would be stiff buisness in such a useful golem.

Uncle Pine
2014-01-30, 03:11 PM
Do you happen to have some downtime at the moment (could happen once in a while even in a fast-paced campaign)? If so retrain (PHB II) at least 4 levels into Artificer, craft the Dedicated Wright and then retrain again those levels into your original build.
Otherwise, see if you can fit those two retrains in your BG and enjoy your newly acquired homunculus.

Fouredged Sword
2014-01-30, 03:35 PM
Also, on an easier note, Unseen Crafter may meet your needs. It should be able to fill the time requirement of crafting if you fill all other criteria. It is less explicit as the dedicated wright, so ASK YOUR DM (tm)

Deophaun
2014-01-30, 03:50 PM
That would be my first want, but it's explicitly called out as never sold so I assume I cant't have someone make one for me, can I?
It can't be sold because it's tied by blood to an owner. In this case, you aren't buying the wright; you are having it commissioned. There is a difference.

Also, on an easier note, Unseen Crafter may meet your needs. It should be able to fill the time requirement of crafting if you fill all other criteria. It is less explicit as the dedicated wright, so ASK YOUR DM (tm)
Unseen crafter is explicitly limited to applications of the Craft (whatever) skill. Unless you're playing 3.PF, that has no overlap with the crafting of magical items.

Fouredged Sword
2014-01-30, 03:55 PM
Really though, there is no reason that someone couldn't sell you one, even if it was still linked back to the master. It would use his feats and skill ranks, but you could use the cooperative crafting rules to pay the EXP cost yourself. It would be more of a rental thing probably.

Deophaun
2014-01-30, 05:26 PM
Really though, there is no reason that someone couldn't sell you one, even if it was still linked back to the master.
It's not that someone couldn't sell you one, it's more that they wouldn't sell you one, considering that its destruction physically hurts them.

Plus, while the wright is crafting, the master can't.

Clistenes
2014-01-30, 05:59 PM
That would be my first want, but it's explicitly called out as never sold so I assume I can't have someone make one for me, can I?

Hiring somebody to help you craft it is not the same as buying it in a Magic Mart. If you are to the side of the crafter, casting the spells and giving the homunculus your blood, you are working together to craft the homunculus.

Syrinth
2014-01-30, 06:19 PM
Plus, while the wright is crafting, the master can't.

Wait, what? I wasn't aware that the wright overrode my ability to craft. Does it say that somewhere I missed?

Deophaun
2014-01-30, 07:33 PM
Wait, what? I wasn't aware that the wright overrode my ability to craft. Does it say that somewhere I missed?
It's ambiguous, but heavily implied. The wright functions on "behalf" of the master, using the master's resources to craft items. Since the master cannot craft more than one item at a time for 8-hours a day, that's all the resources a dedicated wright has to use. Create multiple dedicated wrights, and now they're splitting up that 8-hour work day between them.

The fluff backs this up. It's not intended to be the basis for a magic-item creating workforce. It's just supposed to do the crafting while the master is adventuring.

Osiris
2014-01-30, 07:36 PM
Cast Polymorph Any Object. Make anything into anything. You can make Dedicated Wrights out of dirt! It wouldn't last long, but it's cool to make allies out of dirt.

Clistenes
2014-01-30, 07:53 PM
Cast Polymorph Any Object. Make anything into anything. You can make Dedicated Wrights out of dirt! It wouldn't last long, but it's cool to make allies out of dirt.

Polymorph Any Object doesn't give the polymorphed creature or object the feats or supernatural qualities of the creature it has been shaped into, so the homunculus would lack a supernatural link to you and would be unable to craft on your behalf.

It's ambiguous, but heavily implied. The wright functions on "behalf" of the master, using the master's resources to craft items. Since the master cannot craft more than one item at a time for 8-hours a day, that's all the resources a dedicated wright has to use. Create multiple dedicated wrights, and now they're splitting up that 8-hour work day between them.

The fluff backs this up. It's not intended to be the basis for a magic-item creating workforce. It's just supposed to do the crafting while the master is adventuring.

That interpretation seems a bit forced. I think there isn't anything that suggests that "resources" means anything but "feats, spells, caster level, material components and XP".

Deophaun
2014-01-30, 08:09 PM
That interpretation seems a bit forced. I think there isn't anything that suggests that "resources" means anything but "feats, spells, caster level, material components and XP".
So the phrase "on behalf of its master" is pure rhetorical flair that they were so pleased with they repeated it twice?

Gemini476
2014-01-30, 08:10 PM
Polymorph Any Object doesn't give the polymorphed creature or object the feats or supernatural qualities of the creature it has been shaped into, so the homunculus would lack a supernatural link to you and would be unable to craft on your behalf.

I would suggest Midgard Dwarves (again), but if you PaO something into one you don't really have any control over it (unless you find some way to Rebuke Dwarves or something, I dunno.)

They actually get their Racial Bonus Feats via an (Ex) ability, not to mention that they don't need to have the required spells to craft stuff.

...They're probably better to just PaO yourself into so you can make a Dedicated Wright, really.

Clistenes
2014-01-30, 08:14 PM
So the phrase "on behalf of its master" is pure rhetorical flair that they were so pleased with they repeated it twice?

It still doesn't imply that the homunculus is preventing you from doing anything, only that it does things for you.

Deophaun
2014-01-30, 08:18 PM
It still doesn't imply that the homunculus is preventing you from doing anything, only that it does things for you.
It also doesn't give rules explicitly allowing you to craft for more than 8 hours a day. "It doesn't say I can't" is not how the rules work.

Clistenes
2014-01-30, 08:26 PM
It also doesn't give rules explicitly allowing you to craft for more than 8 hours a day. "It doesn't say I can't" is not how the rules work.

The Dedicated Wright entry doesn't say I can cast spells for other purposes than crafting while the homunculus is working, so by your interpretation of the rules, you can't.

All the entry says is that the homuculus does your work for you while you do other stuff. It doesn't say "you can travel, fight, cast spells, research new spells, take a job, heal people, train animals, build a house, learn to sing...etc., but not craft a different magic item".

The Dedicated Wright explicitly exists to save you time, to save you 8 hours a day; its entry doesn't say what you have to employ those hours into.

Fouredged Sword
2014-01-30, 08:26 PM
If one had 6 spell slots to cast alter self, the outsider type, and the feat that lets you push a spell 3 levels past it's max CL, one could use alter self to become a midguard dwarf for 8 hours a day at level 5.

One could then craft all you want. More fun with tifling wizards.

Nevermind, you don't get EX abilities that way. :smallfrown:

Clistenes
2014-01-30, 08:35 PM
I would suggest Midgard Dwarves (again), but if you PaO something into one you don't really have any control over it (unless you find some way to Rebuke Dwarves or something, I dunno.)

They actually get their Racial Bonus Feats via an (Ex) ability, not to mention that they don't need to have the required spells to craft stuff.

...They're probably better to just PaO yourself into so you can make a Dedicated Wright, really.

If one had 6 spell slots to cast alter self, the outsider type, and the feat that lets you push a spell 3 levels past it's max CL, one could use alter self to become a midguard dwarf for 8 hours a day at level 5.

One could then craft all you want. More fun with tifling wizards.

Master Smith (Ex) is an extraordinary special quality, and none of the Polymorph spells give you the extraordinary special qualities of the new shape.

Alter Self gives you extraordinary attacks, natural armor, natural weapons, size and modes of movement.

The Polymorph spells also give you the physical stats and the appropiate type and subtipes with all their traits.

Polymorph Any Object also gives you the Intelligence stat of the new shape.