PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Escaping a Bag of Holding/Portable Hole

Thurbane
2014-01-30, 07:10 PM
Just wondering, with or without spellcasting, what options does a creature trapped within a Bag of Holding or Portable Hole have to escape before the air runs out?

For arguments sake, it was stuffed inside while helpless. Also for the sake of argument, it had it's weapons removed (i.e. no slashing or piercing objects).

OK, go!

Cheers - T

Gemini476
2014-01-30, 07:29 PM
Does it have slashing/piercing natural weapons?

I'm not entirely sure if that works, but still.

Also, couldn't Plane Shift and the like work? Or Rope Trick and the like, perhaps.

Thurbane
2014-01-30, 08:01 PM
I'm thinking specifically of a humanoid with no natural weapons, and no casting, SLAs or Su abilities. Say, a human fighter without weapons, or a halfling rogue without weapons.

Are these characters pretty much screwed?

Slipperychicken
2014-01-30, 08:09 PM
Pierce it with your teeth and nails. Then you're just lost forever, rather than dead. You only need a small puncture to make it happen.

Rip it open with sheer force, by grabbing the insides of the bag?

Thurbane
2014-01-30, 09:41 PM
How about if you were Baleful Polymorphed into a toad before you were slipped in the Bag?

I guess the moral of the story is once an enemy has you in a helpless position, you're pretty much hosed unless you are a caster.

Slipperychicken
2014-01-30, 09:49 PM
If they already can get you baleful polymorphed and helpless enough to be shoved into a bag, you lost a long time ago.

Even a caster would need some specific build components to escape the bag in toad form, since toads cannot normally make somatic or verbal components, and the captors may have removed the spell component pouch.

I suppose a contingent spell might let you escape, assuming you were smart about your trigger.

Saidoro
2014-01-30, 10:15 PM
If you're in toad form you should have a big air supply. Grab some random swag from around the inside of the portable hole and use it to craft a bag of holding(or vice versa).

Cruiser1
2014-01-30, 10:26 PM
what options does a creature trapped within a Bag of Holding or Portable Hole have to escape before the air runs out?
Just open the Bag from the inside, and step out of the opening! :smallsmile: There's nothing in the description of the Bag of Holding or even Portable Hole that says you can't do that, and that the bag is magically locked once you're inside. If the bag is being held closed from the outside, then it comes down to the STR score or weight of the creature/object keeping it closed.

Psyren
2014-01-30, 11:10 PM
I guess the moral of the story is once an enemy has you in a helpless position, you're pretty much hosed unless you are a caster.

Is that a problem though?

If you're unconscious IRL, or paralyzed, or tied up so thoroughly that you're helpless - yeah, you're pretty hosed here too.

And you should always have a slashing weapon on you, even just a dagger. Lots of monsters can swallow you, web you or tie you up.