PDA

View Full Version : D&D Yoga: Saw this and find it immensely humorous

russdm
2014-01-30, 07:30 PM
D&D Yoga (http://gma.yahoo.com/dungeon-master-meets-namaste-role-playing-yoga-111054888--abc-news-health.html;_ylt=AvTutVQcuueXlm_mORdSV0Co6.d_;_ylu =X3oDMTQ3MmRpNnJyBG1pdANIUCBMYXRlc3QgTmV3cwRwa2cDY jIxNDk1NjctMTQwYS0zOTNjLWJlYWItYzNhZmJkMjFhMDNhBHB vcwMxMgRzZWMDTWVkaWFCTGlzdE1peGVkTFBDQVRlbXAEdmVyA 2NhMTY0OWUxLTg5YWUtMTFlMy1iZmFmLWI0ZmQzZGY4YWZmZg--;_ylg=X3oDMTFkcW51ZGliBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRw c3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANob21lBHB0A3BtaA--;_ylv=3)

I find this to be deeply humorous.

Proud Tortoise
2014-01-30, 08:33 PM
I resent that "nerds who play role-playing games represent a low form of intellectual life".

AtlanteanTroll
2014-01-30, 08:47 PM
I resent that "nerds who play role-playing games represent a low form of intellectual life".

Seconded. Especially since it opens up the damn article.

Tebryn
2014-01-30, 08:57 PM
Do you think it's the sweat pants that make you a higher form of intellectual life?

Proud Tortoise
2014-01-30, 09:14 PM
Yoga practicers higher than D&D players? Da glub? And look at this:

Fantasy games occupy a world in which there is a "nerd hierarchy" – from video games being the least nerdy at the top, followed by computer games, board games, role playing and at the bottom, live-action role playing or "LARPING," according to Terry Nicol, an inveterate role-player from Philadelphia.

**** THAT.

Tebryn
2014-01-30, 09:20 PM
Yoga practicers higher than D&D players? Da glub? And look at this:

**** THAT.

Isn't it nice of Susan Donald James to also stratify the hierarchy of these "Nerds" for us? I'm hoping she does a few follow up articles where she integrated into these social strata for some real hard hitting journalism. Those who play "veedio jams" are almost human while these "LARPers" are some form of protoplasm that just crawled out of the cesspool. Really barely sentient when you think about it.

russdm
2014-01-30, 09:58 PM
I like how she comments how they use 10D (d10s) to roll for what you are supposed to do in game, and claim that this the primary dice used. They apparently didn't pay attention to proper terminology or how things actually worked.

Hiro Protagonest
2014-01-31, 02:33 PM
Since... since when are board games (which I assume means Settlers of Catan and Shadows Over Camelot and such) more nerdy than computer games? And since when is choosing to play Battlefield or CoD on PC for better graphics and precision aiming more nerdy than buying a Nintendo console for Legend of Zelda and Fire Emblem? What is inherently more nerdy about a weekly D&D session than a weekly raid night?

LARPing is totally the nerdiest of activities though. :smalltongue:

KillianHawkeye
2014-01-31, 08:09 PM
Article loses all credibility for referring to a 10-sided die as a "10D" lol.

Arkhosia
2014-01-31, 11:05 PM
And saying the Dungeon Master is the leader

SeeDarkly_X
2014-02-01, 09:36 PM

Seriously. The second you start a piece with such an inflammatory generalized personal opinion you lose any credibility to call yourself a "journalist."
Luckily, this Susan Donaldson James only credits herself on twitter as a "Digital reporter for ABC News, Internet mother, latte and chardonnay aficionado."

Much as I am curious to know what an "Internet mother" is exactly...
given the last of her self-accreditation, I think I'm simply going to consider her "article" the ravings of a "drunk."
Just to be as fairly generalist as she is to me and my friends.
But the fact that she has a byline on over a thousand articles represents a true failure on the part of ABC News.
Keep chuggin' that chardonnay Susie James. Unbelievable.

Randomguy
2014-02-03, 12:45 AM
LARPing is totally the nerdiest of activities though. :smalltongue:

Actually self-insert, erotic fanfic writers are bellow LARPers on that hierarchy.