PDA

View Full Version : All mental stats build

gawwy
2014-01-30, 10:29 PM
what build would you use to best take advantage of having str 8 dex 8 con 10 int 16 wis 16 cha 16.

you can pick race and get 2 flaws.

More interested in how the build feels 1-10 than 10-20

MirddinEmris
2014-01-30, 10:39 PM
Druid is probably the best pick for this stats - on low levels you have animal companion to fight for you and spells to change reality on your whim and after level 5 you have wild shape and your low str and dex doesn't matter anymore (though 10 con is a problem and i would advise against going into primary melee role)

Togath
2014-01-30, 10:41 PM
Druid, Cleric, Wizard, name just about any tier 1/tier 0, as well as the tier 2+ casters.

eggynack
2014-01-30, 10:43 PM
Probably druid, because they don't care much about physical stats, and intelligence and charisma are both decent tertiary stats. The low constitution is annoying, but that could just be an excuse to run a dragonborn desert half-orc with all three of the half-orc substitution levels, and thus have a more classically powerful 14 constitution. After that, the specific build stuff doesn't matter all that much. The free augment summoning from half-orc substitution levels is a decent reason to focus on summoning a little, so maybe greenbound and ashbound as the first two feats. I still have two open slots before I can start focusing on wild shape a little, so probably animal companion stuff like natural bond or companion spellbond. 6th is natural spell, obviously, and because you're focusing on early levels over late levels, perhaps exalted wild shape as the 9th level feat. That'd all work out alright.

BowStreetRunner
2014-01-30, 10:44 PM
I'm thinking Dragonwrought Kobold Archivist with a dip into Sacred Exorcist for DMM goodness.

D4rkh0rus
2014-01-30, 10:45 PM
what build would you use to best take advantage of having str 8 dex 8 con 10 int 16 wis 16 cha 16.

you can pick race and get 2 flaws.

More interested in how the build feels 1-10 than 10-20

Druid. 1-4 you feel useless. 5-20 you win. Don't need flaws. Only need 2 feats, natural spell and dragon wild shape.

Now, for a bit more fun.... Factotum 3 or more for Int to str and dex.
Shiba protector 1 for wisdom to attack and dmg, stacks with jut about everything else...
I'd say factotum 3, shiba protector 1 bard x. Slippers of battle dancing and snowflake war dance make cha replace str/dex. Get a few fonts of inspiration to spend on int to attack and damage.

Although with low dex you wont be two weapon fighting...

eggynack
2014-01-30, 10:49 PM
Druid. 1-4 you feel useless. 5-20 you win. Don't need flaws. Only need 2 feats, natural spell and dragon wild shape.

Or, more accurately, 1-4 you feel like one of the most powerful classes in the game, because you're one of the most powerful classes in the game. Seriously, animal companions make pretty reasonable fighters, and some of those first and second level spells are brutal.

D4rkh0rus
2014-01-30, 10:55 PM
Or, more accurately, 1-4 you feel like one of the most powerful classes in the game, because you're one of the most powerful classes in the game. Seriously, animal companions make pretty reasonable fighters, and some of those first and second level spells are brutal.

Hey I like using op spells as much as the next guy. I'm also book proof. But who says that the OP is? The first time your DM machine guns you with heavy books... It actually hurts.

eggynack
2014-01-30, 10:59 PM
Hey I like using op spells as much as the next guy. I'm also book proof. But who says that the OP is? The first time your DM machine guns you with heavy books... It actually hurts.
I guess, but you're certainly not going to feel useless. Just riding dog+entangle gets you way up there on the first level class power rankings, and tossing stuff like impeding stones and blinding spittle makes it even better. You don't have to bust out snowsight+obscuring snow to break the game at those levels, or any levels. It's all just standard PO class use with no real trickery whatsoever.

Edit: Also, even if there is some sort of book machine gun threshold at work here, the druid can hang out right on that threshold no matter where it is, so he's likely to be the most powerful party member regardless of such a threshold, for other party members are likely also beholden to such a threshold. Such is the nature of things. "Druids are too powerful" just doesn't really hold up as a counterargument to, "Druids aren't weak."

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-01-30, 11:23 PM
Dragonborn (Heart) Mongrelfolk, Druid 20, no ACFs; Str 8, Dex 6, Con 16, Int 14, Wis 16, Cha 12
Love of Nature (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258440#30) and Murky-Eyed
Greenbound Summoning, Natural Heavyweight, Entangling Exhalation, Natural Bond, Natural Spell, whatever else. Later on retrain or Psychic Reformation your Natural Heavyweight feat to Ashbound or something else that's more useful. Say it's because he's becoming more accustomed to the gravity of the material plane.
Have a Warbeast War-Trained Riding Dog animal companion until 4th, then upgrade to a Warbeast Fleshraker.
Max ranks in Spot, Listen, Concentration, Handle Animal, Survival, and Kn: Nature.
Check this post for Druid item suggestions (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233093#2).

In the earliest levels you should use a (Darkwood (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialMaterials.htm#darkwood)) tower shield and some decent armor. You'll take a crippling armor check penalty to attack rolls due to nonproficiency, but use your breath attack and cast Enrage Animal and it won't matter. Chitin armor (Dragon 319 p42, made from the exoskeletons of crustaceans (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/chuul.htm) and insectile creatures (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/ankheg.htm)) costs only 100 gp, it's heavy armor that gives a +5 AC bonus with a +0 max Dex, -6 armor check penalty, 35% arcane spell failure, and it weighs 35 pounds. You'll have a -2 to attack rolls for the tower shield, -10 for nonproficiency with it, and -6 for nonproficiency with your armor, for -18 total to all attack rolls, but you'll have a 17 AC!

Draz74
2014-01-31, 01:31 AM
I'm thinking Dragonwrought Kobold Archivist with a dip into Sacred Exorcist for DMM goodness.

This. +3 more to all mental stats; INT-based casting with WIS-based DCs; CHA-based DMM charges.

I suppose you could spice it up even more with some dips, even if they lower the overall power, like Ninja 1 or Paladin 2.

(Un)Inspired
2014-01-31, 01:55 AM
Take FMI. Now you have great hp despite your con.

Go factotum 3. Now you have great physical skills and combat abilities despite your str and dex.

Now fill the rest with 1 level of shiba protector as someone else said to further your attack and damage boost over str characters and ardent and ur priest. Now you have 9th level cleric spells and psionic powers both keyed of wis and several free levels to fill.

Monk is good for bonus feats to chaos shuffle into more FoI and for wis to touch ac.

What else do you need... You got great skills, great fighting ability, great powers , great spells, and a rebuke undead pool for DMM.

Edit: oh I guess an evil paladin dip for the save boost

eggynack
2014-01-31, 08:03 AM
Dragonborn (Heart) Mongrelfolk
I don't much like heart on a dragonborn, as you lose breath weapons in a wild shape. It's probably fine if you're really stuck in the first five levels, but I generally prefer mind.

Jack_Simth
2014-01-31, 08:35 AM
Druid is probably the best pick for this stats - on low levels you have animal companion to fight for you and spells to change reality on your whim and after level 5 you have wild shape and your low str and dex doesn't matter anymore (though 10 con is a problem and i would advise against going into primary melee role)
Yeah, Druid is a great choice. Go Elf, and grab Fruity Mysteries Initiate (sorry, Faerie Mysteries Initiate) from Dragon Magazine. Int to HP instead of Con. You're set. Might as well go Venerable as well, as now all Con does for you is Fort saves, and Wildshape sets your Con score to a specific value regardless of what it was previously.

One non-Core feat, everything else is Core, and it's hard to tell you from a normal Druid from about 5th level onwards.

eggynack
2014-01-31, 08:43 AM
Druid. Go Elf, and grab Fruity Mysteries Initiate (sorry, Faerie Mysteries Initiate) from Dragon Magazine. Int to HP instead of Con. You're set. Might as well go Venerable as well, as now all Con does for you is Fort saves, and Wildshape sets your Con score to a specific value.
You also get to pick up a dip in seeker of the misty isle, which is nifty. I like my solution more though. Desert half-orc and dragonborn combined get you to 14 constitution, and you get a d10 at levels one, four, and six, which actually gets equal HP to the non-venerable version at first level. Also, instead of spending a feat, you get an effective two feats, as well as random toughness for your animal companion, and the ability to substitute strength for charisma when using wild empathy, which seems bad but is actually pretty good when you get to be a bear of animal diplomacy. Nifty stuff.

Fouredged Sword
2014-01-31, 09:14 AM
Lets take it one step further.

Venerable Grey elf psion (shaper) with Fairy Mysteries Initiate and a monk's belt.

Str 1, Dex 3, Con 1, Int 23, Wis 21, Cha, 21

Your AC is horrid, but you have good HP through vigor / share pain / psicrystal + int to HP in place of con. Grab wild cohort for a beat stick at low levels, and so it can haul your gear around (because until you get a Str boosting belt, your outfit will encumber you)

Feint's End
2014-01-31, 09:43 AM
*hustle*Synthesist Summoner*hustle*
Problem solved.

Other option -> Warlock (basically playble with all stats at 8 ... though not adviceable)

Maginomicon
2014-01-31, 11:21 AM
Race: Primordial Menta Cyclopean

The Primordial Giant template is in Secrets of Xen'drik page 81 is a pretty-b****in' template for giants that has an LA of "same as base creature".

The Cyclopeans are in Dragon Magazine #323 page 95. They have two sub-race options, each with giant type and LA+0.

The following are the racial benefits by RAW:

Primordial Menta Cyclopean
SLAs: At-will (pick one) -- Invisibility (CL 1), Invisibility Purge (CL 1), Levitate (CL 1)
Abilities: Str -4, Dex -2, Int +4, Cha +4
Medium Giant
Speed 30 ft.
Darkvision 60 ft.
Future Sight (Su): Three times per day, a Menta cyclopean may spend a full-round action to peer into the future of a creature. This functions as the augury spell, except it does not require any components and cannot predict the future of the cyclopean himself. The cyclopean must touch the target creature for the full round. The Menta cyclopean may only use this ability once per creature per day.
Single Eye: Because they only have one eye, cyclopeans suffer a -2 penalty on all ranged attack rolls, Search checks, and Spot checks.
Automatic Languages: Common and Giant; Bonus Languages: Dwarven, Gnome, Sylvan, and Terran. Cyclopeans live close to the earth and often learn the languages of those attuned to it.
+2 racial bonus on Spellcraft and UMD.
Favored Classes: Warlock AND Wizard.
LA: +0
Physically Feeble? Yeah. Do you care? NOPE!

Quiddle
2014-01-31, 12:16 PM
There is this feat, I'm forgetting what it's called but it lets you use int for hp instead of con.
Edit: Faerie Mysteries Initiate