PDA

View Full Version : What Capabilities would a T3 Fighter Need?

tzar1990
2014-01-30, 11:39 PM
So, I'm currently doing a re-write of the Pathfinder fighter class, trying to boost it up to a power level that lets it be useful in a party whose other members are a Wizard, a Cleric, an Alchemist, and a Melee-specced Druid.

I'm aiming to have him be around T3 - deadly in combat, with a wide variety of useful tricks he can learn, and some degree of out-of-combat utility. I was hoping to ask you guys for advice on what powers he might need to achieve this goal.

The core idea is that he has a number of Fighter Talents - useful tricks for combat - which cost Endurance points. Fighter talents become more useful as you level, both because all of them automatically upgrade with you (i.e. Blind or deafen for 1d4 rounds -> Blind AND Deafen for 1d4 rounds), and because some of them can be combo'd together as long as you have enough points in your (extremely limited) Endurance Pool.

So far, he has the following abilities:

Out of combat

Bonuses to his choice of Diplomacy/Bluff/Sense Motive, to let him be a Party Face to some degree
Bonuses to all knowledge skills, but only for the purposes of identifying the weaknesses, strengths, and abilities of monsters
The ability to quickly train NPCs into PC classes, and make them friendly or helpful in the process of doing so
6+INT skill points per level, with Diplomacy, Bluff and Perception added as class skills.

In Combat

Substitute his AC for his save against certain types of spell
Add dex to damage in addition to strength
Treat any weapon as a throwing weapon, and eventually throw a weapon to hit every enemy in a line out to it's max range
Counter-attack unsuccesful hits; this later upgrades to countering any hit, and then to countering before they resolve their attacks
Send enemies flying with a strong hit
Parry attacks
Inflict strength or dex penalty on hit; this later upgrades to strength or dex damage
Block, and later deflect, ray and other ranged touch spells
Ignore hardness and damage reduction
Intercept and negate attacks against adjacent allies
Deal significant bleed damage (including, eventually, Con bleed)
Sunder enemies' limbs and natural weapons
Force flying enemies to the ground
Force enemies to make will saves to enter certain squares, and get AoOs against anyone who enters anyways.
Nauseate, stun. blind, deafen, knock prone, and stun enemies
Negate some incoming damage
Pin enemies to walls or the floor with piercing attacks.
Ignore enemies armor; eventually upgrades to making melee attacks as touch attacks.
Destroy spells
Pounce

He also automatically upgrades feats to their Improved/Greater version, as long as he would qualify for them solely by his Fighter Level, not other class levels.

Any other major capabilities he needs that I might be missing?