PDA

View Full Version : DM Advice PF

Akolbi
2014-01-30, 11:51 PM
I have a fire crazed villain (wiz(Fire elementalist) 3/ clr 6 (theologian)(fire)(asmodeus)/ftr1). He will probably lead a city assault in a couple sessions. USUALLY I ban all firearms, so that has become the default assumption in our group. My question is this:
Is it cheating to give him firearms, firedrakes, and firewyrms for his armies, the latter two are siege weapons. I wanted to play up the strangeness of the weaponry, but i still feel like i'm cheating my players.

on the other hand...his NAME has fire in it, as do two of his classes.

(I understand that the multiclassing is HORRENDOUS)

Grod_The_Giant
2014-01-31, 12:06 AM
Depends on the terms of your ban, and what you intend to do when the PCs get their hands on the guns.

Akolbi
2014-01-31, 12:16 AM
It's a blanket ban. I don't do it for balance issues, it's thematic. Crossbows even bother me somtimes.

also, I intend for them to persue the BBEG durning the siege, so getting a hold of them won't be too big of an issue. HE will be using his Flaming burst longsword. and fireballing as a melee spell :smallbiggrin:.

Crake
2014-01-31, 12:38 AM
I think, if it was a thematic ban, IE, your campaign setting hadn't invented firearms yet, until this guy came along and invented and is now using them for his army. Then introducing them this way is perfectly fine, although you'll probably have to get used to the idea of them spreading pretty quickly in your campaign setting from this point onwards.

Grollub
2014-01-31, 12:45 AM
you probably should assume the players heavily investigating them or gettin their hands on them as well

Hytheter
2014-01-31, 12:45 AM
I have a fire crazed villain (wiz(Fire elementalist) 3/ clr 6 (theologian)(fire)(asmodeus)/ftr1).

What's FTR? Also, if you're already using 3 Wizard Levels and 3 Cleric Levels, why not have him be a Mystic Theurge for 3 levels instead of the extra 3 cleric levels?

In any case, as people have said the firearms should go over ok if it's supposed to be that the villain/'s minions have actually invented them. Make a big deal out of it, have some NPCs encounter them before the players, telling horror stories about these strange new weapons that can kill a man just by pointing at him.

Thrair
2014-01-31, 01:44 AM
As others have said, you easily swing it as this guy being the first person to design and use these exotic weapons.

If the PCs want to investigate these things, rather than deny them out of hand, make it a long and difficult quest. Akin to researching a powerful custom spell or making a powerful weapon. Or finding out how a high level wizard crafted a golem.

Perhaps they have to scramble to find the source of the materials, or the alchemist's notes, etc. Maybe the society is so used to magic that few people understand the principles behind these strange-ass exploding things, or have even bothered to LEARN the principles in the first place. Perhaps over-reliance on magic limiting any desire to create new technology.

It might end up becoming a major story arc if they get into it. Maybe some kingdoms don't like this new type of weapon, and want to suppress it, taking the PCs interest as dangerous.

Long story short, I'd go ahead and use them. The fact that you normally don't might make this interesting for your players, and that can let you create some hooks for your evil plans.

(Un)Inspired
2014-01-31, 01:46 AM
If you decided that you hate guns for theamatic reasons then why do you want to use guns?

Enguebert
2014-01-31, 01:56 AM
If you don't want firearms in your campaign, don't put any in BBEG's hands

Ask yourself : why do you want them ? Decide with effect of the firearm you want in your BBEG army and replace it by magical items or creatures with SLA

Some ideas
- necklace/wand of fireball
- fire elemental or other creatures from plane of fire
- living spells

Akolbi
2014-01-31, 12:00 PM
What's FTR? Also, if you're already using 3 Wizard Levels and 3 Cleric Levels, why not have him be a Mystic Theurge for 3 levels instead of the extra 3 cleric levels?

I considered it, even wrote it down for a while, but i decided it fit for thematic reasons, i liked the bonus feat an the profs. as well.

Spore
2014-01-31, 04:57 PM
In Character it's perfectly fine but as player I would feel cheated.

Akolbi
2014-02-01, 11:50 AM
In Character it's perfectly fine but as player I would feel cheated.

that's what i'm worried about. I don't want to cheat my players.

BWR
2014-02-01, 12:07 PM
If you intend for firearms to be exclusively the domain of the BBEG and will refuse to allow players to get their hands on them, then you're cheating them.
If you think they don't fit the feeling of the game, they don't fit the feeling of the game.

If you want to make single shot magic weapons that resemble firearms and require some sort of difficult (probably evil) recharge ritual the BBEG performs, fine. Just don't be surprised if the players get their paws on some and try to reverse engineer the thing and possibly use them.