PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Charging mount

Laniius
2014-01-31, 12:46 AM
So if my mount takes the charge action, I take the penalty but get the benefit of the charge. I also do double damage with a lance.

Does my mount attack as well?

So, mount charges, and attacks, and I attack?

Thanks.

JungleChicken
2014-01-31, 12:55 AM
I believe you use the mounts move speed and strength modifier for damage but it's you that attack not the animal.

And yes double damage with a lance

avr
2014-01-31, 01:47 AM
Your mount attacks at the end of a charge and so do you. Both of you get the bonuses and penalties of charging. If you use a lance you get double damage when making a mounted charge.

The mounts' movement is used but its strength applies only to its own attacks. I suspect Junglechicken is remembering a house rule there.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/combat#TOC-Mounted-Combat

Spore
2014-01-31, 08:07 AM
I would still recommend Ride-By Attack and making a double move with the mount resulting in no attack for it. That occasional damage is less important than charge damage every turn. Also get Spirited Charge for triple the damage on a lance.

Laniius
2014-01-31, 06:52 PM
Your mount attacks at the end of a charge and so do you. Both of you get the bonuses and penalties of charging. If you use a lance you get double damage when making a mounted charge.

The mounts' movement is used but its strength applies only to its own attacks. I suspect Junglechicken is remembering a house rule there.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/combat#TOC-Mounted-Combat

What if my mount has pounce, and I am using a lance? Or if my mount has pounce and I'm not using a lance?

Nihilarian
2014-01-31, 06:57 PM
Then your mount gets a full attack and you get one attack.

If you're a cavalier, this (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/cavalier/orders/paizo---cavalier-orders/order-of-the-sword) is a good order for mounted combat.

Laniius
2014-01-31, 07:36 PM
Then your mount gets a full attack and you get one attack.

If you're a cavalier, this (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/cavalier/orders/paizo---cavalier-orders/order-of-the-sword) is a good order for mounted combat.

Does the mount get an attack or a full attack even if it doesn't have reach and I'm using a lance?

What if it's using a full attack or attack and I'm using a non-reach weapon?

Hytheter
2014-01-31, 08:38 PM
Does the mount get an attack or a full attack even if it doesn't have reach and I'm using a lance?

A Lance isn't a reach weapon, so yes.
edit: Oh wait, apparently they are in Pathfinder. In that case, probably not. Unless of course you're Medium sized, in which case your mount would be large and (if I'm remembering correctly) gets natural reach automatically by virtue of its size.

Nihilarian
2014-01-31, 09:29 PM
A Lance isn't a reach weapon, so yes.
edit: Oh wait, apparently they are in Pathfinder. In that case, probably not. Unless of course you're Medium sized, in which case your mount would be large and (if I'm remembering correctly) gets natural reach automatically by virtue of its size.... The lance is a reach weapon in 3.5 too.

Anyway, I don't think you and the mount have to take your attack actions at the same time. As long as your mount comes within it's reach of the enemy you should be fine. I think.

Hruken
2014-01-31, 10:22 PM
Simply put, the rules are a complete mess. RAW actually forbids you from charging from horseback with a lance or other reach weapon. This is total crap, but it is there.

Normally, there are two schools of thought/houserules/whatever that come up with this. First you have to folks who say that the charging character moves into lance range, strikes, and that is the end of the turn. This does not allow a non-reach mount to attack as well. On the other hand, you have the folks who let the lance hit before the mount finishes moving, with the mount finishing its movement adjacent to the target, allowing for an attack.

Pounce is the same as charge, but allows your mount to full attack. As for how many attacks you get when your mount pounces? Greater than or equal to one, depends on who you ask. Even if you get more than one attack with a lance, the doubled damage only applies on the first strike anyway.

Best way to do this is work with your DM/party to come up with a solution, as it is a mess.

Nihilarian
2014-01-31, 10:26 PM
Ride-by Attack sidesteps that problem. You can hit and keep going.

Akal Saris
2014-01-31, 10:31 PM
Ride-by Attack sidesteps that problem. You can hit and keep going.

True, though ride-by attack doesn't help the mount get any attacks, which is relevant when you have a very strong mount.

Laniius
2014-02-01, 12:26 PM
So what you seem to be saying is I should go with my original idea of only investing in mounted combat and maybe ride-by attack to take advantage of once in awhile, and for the rest of the time treat my "mount" as more of a flanking buddy/beatstick. At least so as to avoid the hash that is the mounted combat ruleset.

Spore
2014-02-01, 12:28 PM
True, though ride-by attack doesn't help the mount get any attacks, which is relevant when you have a very strong mount.

Yes that 1w8+4 claw is really important when your lance does 3d6+80 damage. :smallamused:

Laniius
2014-02-01, 05:00 PM
Yes that 1w8+4 claw is really important when your lance does 3d6+80 damage. :smallamused:

Perhaps not, but what about the following "mounts" (level 9 character)

Big Cat with pounce: Bite +13 1d8+7, 2 claws +13 1d6+7, (and maybe rake +13 1d6+7). That's unbuffed. Throw some greater magic fang, or some items on there and you've got a stew going.

Or an Eidolon, like the one I've built.

Eidolon with pounce: Bite +13 1d8+7 + 1d6 acid, 4 claws +13 1d8+7 + 1d6 acid. Again, unbuffed.